Savage F T/R 223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage F T/R 223

Hi is any one out there shooting a Savage f t/r 223 long range if so how is it going and what glass do you use / loads etc.I am thinking off one for F class standard like the challenge to push the little 223 out that far (300 to 1000 yds. ) :P
    This isn't rocket science guys ... it's more complicated than that, and it has aspects of the Dark Arts, And this smokeless stuff will not last

I am not in F class any more and my 223 is not a Savage so I can't speak with authority. Just a general thing or two. Powder charges are Finicky. Increase charges in no more than 0.2 grain increments. Sort cases to 0.2 grains. Because it is a 223 you won't be competing against people who practice benchrest reloading techniques. However, a Lee Collet die for the necks instead of a neck sizing die, has worked well for me. Another thing that has worked well is the chamber/headspace of My rifle. So far my cases have done 20 reloads, without failure using 24.8 gn of 2206H and A-max pills. In a factory rifle I don't know what you will get but in the scheme of things, case life is not the be-all and end-all. You might be tempted to get a chrony to work up velociies for 1000 yards. The three of mine were worthless. Try different loads at 1000, when you have worked up a maximum load in initial testing.
    Good Luck

Comment

I have a savage f/tr in .223 which my partner shoots in f class, the scope is a sightron s111 6-24 target dot.
      The rifle shows plenty of potential, but haven't had a day with perfect conditions yet, to find out how good it can shoot. The load is 23.8 of 2206h, with 80gn Amax, anything below 23.5 and the groups opened up. The 30 inch , 7 twist barrel gives it every chance at 1000yards, but is at it's limit.
      A competitive unit for half the price of a custom rifle.

Comment

• jasmay
        jasmay commented
        Editing a comment
        The Savage FTR is a fine rifle and shoots very well, I have not owned one but have shot quite a few, the ones I have seem to lose a bit of competitiveness at the longs, but I assume that was due to the load development skills of their owners and not the actual rifle.

I will say, I think you will struggle with the .223 beyond 600yds and even more so if you wind reading is not impeccable. Personally, for the same money you can have the .308 and that's the way I would go, they are reasonably heavy rifles so recoil is not an issue.

I think the Qstore at Belmont have one in stock. Just Google qra and follow the links to shootenstuff.com

Comment

Further to #6 above

The Qstore closes for the Christmas break this Saturday.

Comment

Thanks for the information will see how I go.
          This isn't rocket science guys ... it's more complicated than that, and it has aspects of the Dark Arts, And this smokeless stuff will not last

Comment

All going well I should have a Savage F/TR to shoot next year long range / F class now to work out what glass to get

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by roy cobb" post=42355
              All going well I should have a Savage F/TR to shoot next year long range / F class now to work out what glass to get
              What ever scope you get, make sure to check how much elevation you have available. They can be a problem at extremes, a 20moa rail will give you more range, but could cramp the short ranges with the wrong scope.
              A scope with 50 moa on a level action will not get you to 1000 yards, you will need almost 30 moa from a 300 zero. Adding a 20moa rail will get you past 1000 yards, but will be tight at 100 yards.
              A 50MOA would be the minimum for your ranges. Others might be able to add more insight into this.

My Sightron S111 6-24 has 100 moa, no need for 20moa rail. Got one anyway in case things get swapped around.

EDIT. Other models can have much less.

Comment

• El-Skippo
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Needbiggertargets" post=42563
              My Sightron S111 6-24 has 100 moa, no need for 20moa rail. Got one anyway in case things get swapped around.

EDIT. Other models can have much less.
              I am going to get the 8-32 x56 lrmoa s3 in 2014 to replace the millett the finer retical will help line up the bunnies at range, the s3 comp has a thick retical which makes picking off bunnies beyond 500 yards a bit harder. Due to the thick retical. ( the ex too gun the .223 is a long range bunnie gun now days after I put her into retirement.

Well new rifle is on its way and waiting on the PTA at xmas What loads are you shooting in your 223 long range El -skippo
            Cant wait to get it to the range and do some load develoment

Comment

• El-Skippo
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              ATM 75 grn amax and bm8208 last 60 rounds left.

Before the switch

I was trying to track down the Nosler comps with not a lot of luck, as I had a really good load with them for paper punching. But them and amax are a dime a dozen ATM. Hard to shoot your rifles brand if you can't find the brand pills to shoot with

I am switching to 80 grn berger vlds ( my 1000x should be here in the morning ) so will be redoing my load devalopment with them this weekend I hope.

I have used 2206, 2206h,2208, bm2, bm8208 ( all with good success ) but ATM for running in both .223s I am using bm8208, very clean burn and short cut powder makes charging heaven. Also no crushing of powder too

For the Amax I am running ATM:

Bm8208
              22.5 grn 75 am
              21.8 grn 80 am

This was from the last batch or reloads at 200 yards with the 75 grn out the standerd tikka t3 1-8 twist.

Thanks for that Skippo all the information I can get helps

Comment

Working...
            X