What do you consider to be Long Range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you consider to be Long Range?

Pretty simple question with hundreds of different answers...

But a question worth asking I think... Be it hunting or range everyone has a different view on what they would call LR shooting...

Now cal alone can stipulate what is considered LR... What is LR to a .22LR is short compared to a .338LAP...

So in general, (caliber excluded, unless you wish to stipulate) what do you consider to be Long Range shooting?", and how did you come to the distinction between short, medium and long range? (e.g. cause that's the distance it gets difficult for me/its outside the normal ranges I shoot)...

working backwards from the distances long range hunters shoot out to I would say

0-400m short range
    400-600m medium range
    600m+ is long range
    transonic+ is extended range! (basically nobody hunts out this far to my knowledge)

this is for a dedicated long range hunting rifle (with appropriate loads and bullets + rangefinder and calculator/drop chart) - having said that a 30cm gong looks pretty bloody small even at 500m

for a 'normal' hunting rifle 300m is a long shot

Comment

Long range?
      Thats when the blokes in the butts start using white patches on my target,
      or I need a bigger shot marker 'cause I cant see where my last shot went,
      or the blade of my front sight is bigger than the target,
      or a bigger target is needed.........!
      all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

More than 100metres when hunting

Comment

100-150 yards hunting with a .30-06. Further than that I'd probably be hitting trees....that's just the terrain in my neck of the woods. Elsewhere it could be a 1000 yard shot...but I wouldn't try it...not on game. I like getting up close and personal. I want the game looking at me when I squeeze the trigger.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Long range =
            past 50m with my air rifle
            past 500m with my 223
            past 800m with my 308
            past 1000m with my 300 win mag

Comment

You do realize that if there looking at you SC they know your there ??? Maybe you should try and be quieter.

Comment

• Sambar Country
                Sambar Country commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by findingtime" post=17092
                You do realize that if there looking at you SC they know your there ??? Maybe you should try and be quieter.
                When they are looking at me an H34S Aimpoint 1X red dot is on their heart/lung region. I will call them to get them to stop and look at me if they are moving then take the shot.

What is LR depends on the conditions at the time.. In a howling westerly 300m is a bloody long way but when conditions a right 800 - 900m seems really really close...

This probably sums it up...

When you really start thinking about the shot your about to make and start considering things like bullet drop and windage , your long range shooting !

FT

Comment

For shooting vermin, anything that requires a decent hold over with a reasonably hot loaded 22-250 IE over 250m gets the long range tick in my book.

Kids shooting .22lr any rabbit past 50m is long range.

I think there are too many other variables (not just cal) like; setup, quality of gear, position (BR, prone, freehand etc.) type of shooting, location etc.
                For example consider .308 - long range could be considered quite different for someone shooting 5 quick shots freehand on a small target/s compared to someone with all the gear shooting in BR comp.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What do I consider LR?

Anything that requires more than 2 Mill or about 7MOA Elevation.
                  So for the PCP Air rifle that is anything over 75m
                  .222 anything over 350
                  .308 anything over 500
                  (FWIW, I would say ELR would be anything more than 2x those figures)

Or another way to look at it similar to what FT stated (for hunting) - Once you rule out a head shot you know it's getting out there!

Hunting in bad conditions that could be reduced by up to half sometimes, but with target shooting it's no holds barred.
                  Even blowing a gale, 1000yds + is still worth having a go, never gonna learn if ya don't have a go! (but not on Critters)

Mick.

• Emptee
                  Emptee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Vromme" post=17160
                  For shooting vermin, anything that requires a decent hold over with a reasonably hot loaded 22-250 IE over 250m gets the long range tick in my book.

Kids shooting .22lr any rabbit past 50m is long range.

I think there are too many other variables (not just cal) like; setup, quality of gear, position (BR, prone, freehand etc.) type of shooting, location etc.
                  For example consider .308 - long range could be considered quite different for someone shooting 5 quick shots freehand on a small target/s compared to someone with all the gear shooting in BR comp.
                  Agree Vromme, that's being pretty realistic. I don't like anybody's chances at 250 plus on small ferals with out a decent platform like a vehicle to shoot from or a bipod.

Long range is relevant to what cartridge you are using.

I have used 22mag at 400m and 22lr at 300m and that is long range shooting as far as I am concerned.
                I also use 6.5x47lap for Fclass which I would not consider long range by any means. The adjustments to elevation and and holds for wind are quite small.

I guess once you get past 1000m and beyond or transonic I would consider that to be long range. Its a how long is a piece of string question.

Someone shared with my there thoughts on this topic a while ago with me and their theory was once you hold 3x the height of any target you are shooting long range.

JH

Comment

basically, if you have to adjust something, weather it be sights, or gun holds, to make the shot count, its a long range shot, for the condition. e.g cartridge used vs distance.
                  this rule applies to everything from a headshot rabbit with a 22 @ 120m, to a big bullet used on a target @1500m, to a shotgun slug on a pig @ 75m.
                  but that's more about the "first shot" successful kill happening, not just paper punching.
                  I don't punch much paper, or shoot many gongs and long distances much anymore.
                  but I do love a good rabbit or crow at 300 to 400m.
                  I figured if I can get those, 12" square gongs @ double that aren't a problem (weather pending).

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Send-it" post=17179
                    but I do love a good rabbit or crow at 300 to 400m.
                    I figured if I can get those, 12" square gongs @ double that aren't a problem (weather pending).
                    Not having a go at you here sendit, just using the line as an example.

One thing I have learned (painfully sometimes)
                    Is that shooting an MOA target at or under 500 does not translate into shooting MOA at 800 or more!
                    Once past 5 or 600 yds the variables get multiplied exponentially & errors become much more pronounced. (can be a little humbeling at times )

Where I can get my kit shooting consistantly under 1/2 moa at 100yds, out past 600 it is more like double that, even on a relatively calm day. Add in a bit of wind or updrafts from gullies & that goes out double again.
                    Hence why I need heaps more practice, I know the rifle can do it but the squidgy thing on the end is holding it back.

Mick.

Yeah, I know.
                  Didn't mean it too literally.
                  That's why I said 12" gong, not 6".
                  Gotta tip my hat to anyone who can pull off regular long shots.

Comment

500m is long range for me. I shoot that off hand, so if it hit the target, I'm very happy. Other than that, it's the maximum my range goes to, and I don't shoot any comps greater than that distance.

Mind you, I would love to have a go at longer distances, it just means finding a range, and joining anther club, and finding more time.

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by Rezon8" post=17303
                      500m is long range for me. I shoot that off hand, so if it hit the target, I'm very happy.
                      Shooting off hand, even with one of my rifles that is meant for the job. I would call 100m long Range!
                      Anything out side of 50m & I'm look'n for something to lean on. (except the air rifle, it is more like 15m)

Originally posted by Rezon8" post=17303
                      Mind you, I would love to have a go at longer distances, it just means finding a range, and joining anther club, and finding more time.

This is where your local Full Bore range is invaluable.
                      A few have already said it but I really can't express it enough, F Class is an awesome thing to get into if your at all interested in shooting LR.
                      The guys are so much more laid back than the typical SSAA ranges (at least in my area) & there is no-one saying you have to be scored, it is just there for you to go along & shoot for the fun of it. You will both learn heaps about yourself & your gear but also be able to draw on the knowledge of others who have been doing it for years.
                      The trick is to start out at one of their shorter distance meetings, (starts at 300yds) & from there you will be excepted & welcomed to shoot further & further back each week no matter what your kit.
                      Run What Ya Brung!

Best thing I have gotten into since giving up racing Dirt Bikes!

Cheers, Mick.

Any range past which you are 95% certain of making the shot.

The actual distance will vary with cartridge, target size, rifle, how confident you feel at the time, etc. etc.
                    This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

The transonic range and beyond of your cartridge is a good rule of thumb if your punching paper or thumping gongs. For me everything changes if your hunting, then its getting near the maximum range I feel confidant of hitting the game vitals with the given rifle/ammo and shooting position combo.

Comment

• notorious_benny
                        notorious_benny commented
                        Editing a comment
                        G'day guys.

I am a relative newbie to 'organised' rifle shooting (about 6 months in). I shoot at an NRAA full bore club in TR class (no scopes bipods or rests). Today we shot 900 yards in hot and tricky conditions.

The mirage was bubbling one way while the flags were up and down the other way. Smoke and haze down the range. Anywhere from 1 minute left to 6 minutes right windage was needed today. Needless to say even our top shots in the club were dropping points today!

It makes for great fun and a great challenge trying to stay in the bull in those conditions. Just when you think your in the wind changes, then changes back just as your about to fire!!! Difficult to say the least!

I would class 900 yards as long range ..... particularly in wind!! 500 yards and up the wind starts to make it bloody tricky, so for TR class I would say 500 yards upwards in pretty long range with the ole 308.

Looking forward to next weekend, its our 1000yard shoot
                    Working...
                    X