Long range marksmanship training program...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long range marksmanship training program...

Mods feel free to put this where it should be, if I stuffed it... I couldnt find a section I thought it would fit in...

http://www.shooterready.com/index.html

I came across this program whilst going through Mauser Central tonight...

Looks to be alright, but I am no LR expert... So some feed back on it from the guru's would be great...

Has anyone tried this program? Are there any others like it around? Would the info in this be worth purchasing the program?

I reckon you're probably better off just going out shooting and work it out for yourself.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• Harvey
      Harvey commented
      Editing a comment
      i would have to agree. there is no substitute for real experience. have a look on youtube. there are many great videos explaining the fundamentals of shooting. search sniper 101, there is a whole series on long range shooting.

Originally posted by Luke H" post=16639
    Looks to be alright, but I am no LR expert... So some feed back on it from the guru's would be great...
    To put it in simplest terms, there's only so much you can learn about LR shooting in books and videos, and talking to people. The majority of it comes from actually doing and there's no substitute.

Join a fullbore club and either shoot target rifle or f class, and shoot regularly at long range. You'll fairly quickly get a feel for what's doable and what's just big noting on forums.

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      Shooterready is only useful for practicing milling targets for ukd, fortunately in 2013 wehave laser range finders.
      But while it is a bit of a legacy skill its never abad idea to have the formula in your data book and to practce it a bit.

As for long range shooting your better off dry fire practicing your fundamentals at home then on the computer

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Mauser98" post=16680
      Join a fullbore club and either shoot target rifle or f class, and shoot regularly at long range. You'll fairly quickly get a feel for what's doable and what's just big noting on forums.
      +1

There's no substitute for rounds down range.
      Regularily shooting F Class is one of the best things I have done for myself in a long time.
      Takes a fair while tweaking load/rifle combo's, your technique & that's the easy bit, estimating the conditions is the kicker & there's only so much of that you can learn from reading.
      Shoot until you can't afford it no more & then load up some more ammo & go again!

Not sure if your having a dig with that last bit M98 ?

Mick.

S12A:

Scopes like the Nightforce BEAST with Mil-R reticle, are very quick and easy to range targets with. And a nice simple formula too!

http://nightforceoptics.com/pdf/NFO_MILRsheet.pdf

And being First focal plane the size is constant, so you don't need different calculations for different magnification settings.

Super simple (multiplies by 10..)

Target Size in Centimeters ÷ Image Size Measured in Mils in Reticle x 10 = Distance in Meters

Definately going to be my "go to" scope on my "go to" rifle.

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      Well aware of how to mil a target, but thanks anyway.

Haha not just for you but other people reading the topic

Yes it does, can't wait.. !!

I like milling, one less thing to carry.

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      Its a great tool to have if your lrf dies or batteries run out etc, the old 2 is 1 and 1 is none adage

Im tossing up between an s&b with msr and the nf beast with milr

I posted it for a couple reasons... To see if it was worth purchasing and if it would be a usable tool for beginners who want to have a go at LR and get ranging and some other information with the ability to practice using these skills without being at the range... I know its not going to be spot on and every different gun and cal combination will yield different results compared to the set physics of a program... But for someone who has never done it or is looking at getting back into it I though it may have been of some use...

I havent shot LR for some time and whilst I am waiting on my Mauser build I just wanted to touch up on my ranging and windage skills... Rather than thinking like a COD Commander and thinking I can play a game and become a range God without touching a real gun...

To be honest I havent been for a shoot in months and with a shift of address around the corner and changing employers (also putting back my build) I wont get out till next year the way things are looking... So joining a club (the club I am in has 600m big bore anyway) and regularly shooting is out of the question for some time...

As I said for my purposes it was just to re-affirm skills learned some time ago (refresher if you will) and to be able to do so in the amount of limited time I have...

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      Why did you ask if you were set on it anyway?
      You were bound to get different ideas on the subject.

• Snag
      Snag commented
      Editing a comment
      Luke,

Ranging is no big deal and adjusting for wind is also no big deal.

The three hardest things are:
      (1) Reading the wind
      (2) Reading the wind
      (3) Reading the wind.

The real masters undestand how air moves over the landscape. You can measure at your position, then compare movement at different positions along the bullet's flight and still get it very wrong if you do not understand the air movement.

I want to set up a series of video cameras with a number of people setting off smoke flares in a tricky landscape. The idea is to demonstrate how air can be moving in one direction in, say a small valley and in yet another direction in another small valley, both along the flight path. This becomes extremely critical as the ranges extend over varying topography.

This might sound pedantic, but I often shoot at a property where the wind is very tricky and there have been many shots where I just can't figure out why they drifted where they did.

Long range for me is about 100-150 yards. You will not get longer shots than that in my part of N/E Vic. That's why I use a red dot 1X on my main hunting rifle. Getting in closer is the hard part.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=17045
      Long range for me is about 100-150 yards.
      That's Air rifle distance

Mick.

Thanks for that SC ...Very insightful.

Snag

What about using orange smoke flares, the marine variety .... They would certainly show up very well on video.. ( remote location of course )

Comment

Just had a look at the program Luke..... they lost me before the start . No 7mm choice !! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Luke H" post=16639
        Mods feel free to put this where it should be, if I stuffed it... I couldnt find a section I thought it would fit in...

http://www.shooterready.com/index.html

I came across this program whilst going through Mauser Central tonight...

Has anyone tried this program? Are there any others like it around? Would the info in this be worth purchasing the program?
        It looks like the same one that was free some time back but I think it's been pulled off the net . I bet they bought it to sell it back to users . If it's the same one is was usefull to learn how to use mil dots to range targets and calculate ranges and make holdovers etc. As long as it's not to expensive it could be useful as a training aid. There is demos on this page http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html

Comment

• CE
          CE commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello ,

I have done a lot of what I call long range hunting in the tops of the South Island of New Zealand.

My average range is three to four hundred yards which is a long way when there is a bit of a breeze blowing. steep shooting angles and up drafts, down drafts , inconsistent wind direction and rotors ( areas of turbulence caused by high winds passing over ridge tops) all make for very challenging shooting conditions.

I have found that the key to shooting well in such conditions is being patient and observant and thinking about every aspect of the shot before taking it. There are many sources of information available to you to help you make a wind call including the vegetation and even the coat of the animal you are watching through your scope. Earlier this year a mate and I watched a big bull Thar for more than half an hour at 1600 metres in a thirty knot plus southerly while we waited for the wind to lull at both ends of the shot. As a result my mate was able to pull off a very challenging shot at 349 yards which was a long way in the conditions.

In my view the key to being a good long range shot is to practice in the conditions that you are going to hunt in. These are likely to be very different from the conditions you are going to experience at the range.

Finally I feel it is important to be able to recognise your limitations. Don't be tempted to take that marginal shot. You will be disappointed in yourself if you muck it up and wound an animal.

I don't think it can hurt to do a course such as the one advertised. It may be a good starting point but it is unlikely to make you a competent or good long range shooter...only practice will do that.
      Working...
      X