Gongs - steel plate damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My RPR 308 got a new barrel and a bit more feet per second makes a nice splash of steel now of a few plonks form my 223 mixed in

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20190106_144841.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	300529
    Primum non nocere

Comment

• GD308
      GD308 commented
      Editing a comment
      Federal Hunter Match 22lr at 250m, paint was damaged so bad it required a quick squirt from a spray can to fix................ Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2019-01-12.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	300540

What’s the best way to clean the steel plate back to metal so you can repaint it fresh?

wire brush on a drill?
    belt sander?
    ??
    what else would work?

reason is if you have 10 coats of paint, and shoot the plate at distance, the group can sometimes be hard to tell hits just done vs hits from several layers of paint prior.

thanks (ps not sure if this should be a separate post but kind of the same topic)

Comment

I hit my STS target with paint stripper then bought a 10m roll of white contract from fleabay and use that instead of painting easy to peel off and put on. Inpacts much like paint too. No waiting to dry.

Comment

Not a bad idea. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanus View Post
          What’s the best way to clean the steel plate back to metal so you can repaint it fresh?

wire brush on a drill?
          belt sander?
          ??
          what else would work?

reason is if you have 10 coats of paint, and shoot the plate at distance, the group can sometimes be hard to tell hits just done vs hits from several layers of paint prior.

thanks (ps not sure if this should be a separate post but kind of the same topic)
          I like to sand blast mine with copper coated poly tipped 'grit' until there ain't no paint left.

I use white primer. it covers better with less paint required, resulting in a thinner coat, which means less coats of paint on it.

Comment

Working...
          X