SSAA Holster Accreditation--Train the Trainer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The military would not accept any other accreditation, neither would the police as civilian would not either. A memorable occurrence that happed to me years ago was an ex serviceman turned up to class and said to me "why do I have to do this, I have just come back from Afghanistan. I know my rules of engagement." It took him a few weeks to relise the diffence. There is no doubt you have plenty of knowledge to impart just that not all of it might be relevant to the code you might be teaching for.
    Yes by all means put up your hand we need more people. I have done my bit.
    If you're going through hell, keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Our SSAA Club has within the last week applied to affiliate with IPSC as we have a separate range almost completed where IPSC can be shot.
      However currently we only have 3-4 experienced IPSC shooters & 5-6 persons that would like to give it a try. . I am aware holster accreditation is a big part of the discipline.
      Myself & others are keen to give it a go and if holster accreditation can be handled within the club by one of our own without to much "red tape" thats great .
      Faster Horses
      Younger Women
      Older Whiskey
      More Money

SSAA N52

Comment

I wonder if much has changed in 3 years, would be like dealing with the Flintstones and the Fudds at the same time.
        Can see why there would be a lack of takers, volunteering for holster accreditation training. I wouldn't do it.

That story of loaded pistols swinging was amazing and the exact difference between military and police wearing sidearms all day and the possibility of shooting a person.
        Quite the opposite at a pistol range. The idea is to make it so it can't happen.

I watched a big action steel shoot at the big Blacktown club range when I first got interested in shooting again.
        Was nothing dangerous what so ever and there must have been 6 or 8 groups moving through about 6 ranges.
        There was no guns swinging and a pretty safe procedure to clear before holstering.
        Looked like fun, I don't think the action shooting was done, back in my days, only the service matches from memory.

Comment

hi dusty i’ll give you your accreditation

Comment

Originally posted by MrCarbine View Post
            The military would not accept any other accreditation, neither would the police as civilian would not either. A memorable occurrence that happed to me years ago was an ex serviceman turned up to class and said to me "why do I have to do this, I have just come back from Afghanistan. I know my rules of engagement." It took him a few weeks to relise the diffence. There is no doubt you have plenty of knowledge to impart just that not all of it might be relevant to the code you might be teaching for.
            Yes by all means put up your hand we need more people. I have done my bit.
            Having a recently returned vet say that he knows his ROE but fail to understand the requirements of the range, is an open arguement in my view. There's too many variables in that situation. Just doesn't sit right!
            Sorry but the instructor in me asks the question why did it take him a 'few weeks' to get 'it'! There is a breakdown in instruction/knowledge chain there.
            Fair enough, I understand that training 'standards' in civvy street may not match military training, but there has never been any variance in the standard of safety. More so now that 'every' agency/group/company/body is bound by the governance of WHS.
            As for safety standards right across all groups, how some licensed civilan firearm owners handle their personal firearms, is deplorable! Safety seems to be a very subjective point of view for them. How they don't continually get asked to leave a range, is beyond me. But I digress, back to holster quals.
            I have learned that a local club, PSQ - PSA associated, runs their own holster accreditation. I plan on getting my hands on that course content so I can compare it to military & police holster training packages. I'll align it with applicable competancies, if any exist, and look to develope a quantifiable course doctrine. Wether or not the various shooting bodies would accept it is another matter entirely! Not to mention a whole other battle!

Comment

• MrCarbine
              MrCarbine commented
              Editing a comment
              a. It was a training program, not just range rules, far more. This is not to suggest he was stupid just use to something completely different.
              b. Gun handling is pretty good in most cases but yes there are the odd Joes that need more supervision. That is the ranges task to bring them into line.
              c. Developing holster qualification courses for existing codes? I'll say good luck with that.
              Last edited by MrCarbine; 30-01-2020, 11:53 PM.
          Working...
          X