SSAA Firearms Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSAA Firearms Insurance

Today I received the latest SSAA Australian Shooter magazine with an offer to insure my firearms and fixed accessories up to a value of $25,000 for an annual fee of just $25 by upgrading to Gold Membership.

I have been looking into stand alone insurance as I now have a tidy sum invested in equipment.

The estimate to insure $15,000 worth of firearms with the SSAA Insurance brokers is approximately $1,200 per annum on line.

$1,200 p.a. is WAY more than $25 p.a.for a lot more insured value.

My concern is:- the offer to upgrade to Gold Membership of the SSAA for just $25p.a. and get $25,000 cover sounds just TOO GOOD to be true.

Maybe this new deal will be the end of traditional SSAA insurance.

What am I missing?

Perhaps obtain a copy of the PDS and find out? There may be a lot of exclusions.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      What is the gold membership, I didn't know they had one?

Is that the life time membership??

• dasakoman
      dasakoman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have invested the $25 to upgrade to gold membership -
      The magazine does state it covers firearms and fixed accessories (i.e. scopes) for up to $25K - and also includes loss when away from home an overseas for 28 days.

I would assume the PDS will give exclusions .

I think its a great deal !!

CK

I am thinking about taking them up on it, $25 for 25K of insurance even with a ton of disclaimers will still be a good deal. I am trying to find the PDS now.
    Always in need of just one more gun.

Comment

Well I still can't find a PDS anywhere for this particular insurance. The article says that we can apply for insurance from Feb 1st so might be more details out then I guess.
      Always in need of just one more gun.

Comment

Here is the reference on the membership/renewal form that comes with the magazine.

The info in magazine states it is Underwritten by QBE Insurance , a well known & respected Insurance company.
        [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
        [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
        [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
        [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
        [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Sounds like a good deal.

Hopefully they bring out an option to cover a little more than $25k, something like an extra $75 a year for $75k of insurance would be the go.
          They could call it their Platinum "gun nut" insurance cover
          “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Yes I thought as well. Get a couple tricked out Handguns, couple hunting rigs, a Benchrest or LR rifle or two. All fitted with Scopes/stocks/custom work. Suddenly 25k looks a little low.
            Get the serious guys that have 20 gun safes filled with goodies suddenly 100k not enough.
            [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
            [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
            [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
            [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
            [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• FARMERSTUFF
              FARMERSTUFF commented
              Editing a comment
              I think its great. I will sign up for it. I think at that price the SSAA wont make a cent out of it, but offer it as a service to its members. Good to see them getting more pro active as the membership grows.

Sounds like a good deal for people with low number ownership. A search on Google list's a number of companies that have firearm insurance for persons with a lot of money invested in firearms. Pays to shop around and an insurance broker can also get you a better deal than what an insurance company offers for just about anything too.

Comment

The Firearms insurance as part of a membership package was emailed out to current members as part of a survey early last year I completed the survey and brought it up at the agm, I don't have the details yet but I reckoned they (SSAA Insurance) would bank on the large membership paying $25 per annum would be a safe bet. If they can get 5,000 paying $25 its not rocket science. Anyway I am stoked it has gone ahead I think its a fantastic idea and a way that SSAA members can benefit from being a member of such a large organisation. I'm in.

Comment

INTEREST INSURED:
                Privately owned firearms plus accessories including scopes, straps, gun bags/cases
                INSURED PERILS:
                Theft, accidental damage and accidental loss of the equipment (including whilst in use)

would the above cover reloading equipment as well?

stephen
                all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by [email protected]" post=171941
                  INTEREST INSURED:
                  Privately owned firearms plus accessories including scopes, straps, gun bags/cases
                  INSURED PERILS:
                  Theft, accidental damage and accidental loss of the equipment (including whilst in use)

would the above cover reloading equipment as well?

stephen
                  I'd say that may be stretching it a bit far for this cover, but there's no reason it wouldn't be covered on a standard contents policy.
                  It may be worth asking the policy provider though.

Either way, $25 for firearms cover sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Unless I read something that convinces me otherwise over the next few days - I will be jumping on board.

stephen
                all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

I'll definitely be paying the extra $25($50.00 for both of us) once our first rifles are in our hands. I rang for a quote from my contents insurance and they quoted me a little over $500.00 a year for two!
                  Kimber Rimfire Super
                  Crossman TR77 Tactical .177

Comment

so........how much is it going to be after the first 12 months of cover ?
                    Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I thought they did all memberships at the same time if the year??

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Firstly, you are largely duplicating your existing contents insurance. If you have both and you have a claim, both will be arguing it is the other policy that should cover the loss. Not a situation I would want to be in.

PLUS, if there is a claim, that just fuels the antis argument that illegal firearms come from theft from legal gun owners. Either SSAA don't believe what they told the recent senate committee into firearm violence, or they are taking your money knowing that there will be very few claims.

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by dhv" post=173441
                      I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Firstly, you are largely duplicating your existing contents insurance. If you have both and you have a claim, both will be arguing it is the other policy that should cover the loss. Not a situation I would want to be in.

PLUS, if there is a claim, that just fuels the antis argument that illegal firearms come from theft from legal gun owners. Either SSAA don't believe what they told the recent senate committee into firearm violence, or they are taking your money knowing that there will be very few claims.
                      I have contents insurance but to be honest & haven't included my forearms as part of the policy, I'd imagine if I did then the premium would jump considerably?

I think the idea of stand alone insurance a great idea.
                      Also don't think the home contents will cover you in this situation either?
                      ENDORSEMENTS:
                      Cover will not be available;
                       For theft where the equipment was not stored in an approved gun safe as required by State or Territory authority, other than when the equipment is in use or away from the Insured’s premises

Will have to find out also if this would include accidental damage?

Yes , my household contents insurer would cover my firearms, for an added premium...
                    BUT... they wanted details of all of them, and no way would I give details for god knows who to see.

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, there would also be a limit per item as well!

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am with NRMA and when I asked about firearms they were considered to be sporting goods and thus covered.

It's only things like antiques and items you chose to specify on the policy that you needed to list.
                  Working...
                  X