X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any fridgie's in the house

looking for some advice on replacements for evap units
    currently have a roof mounted evap AC that's due for a upgrade
    will I be gaining anything by turfing the evap and installing a different system but retaining and using the original ducting
    Fish
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Not a fridgie, but I work for a mechanical services company and often end up doing fridgie-esque work. Just don't ask to see my CFC handing ticket....

Maybe it is different up north, but down in Tassie she's all reverse cycle systems, mostly split wall mounts and ducted units for domestic and small commercial installs, and VRF systems for larger commercial work, with the occasional hydronic (wall or floor water heat) system now showing up for tendering.

Several years ago there was a big push by the state government to get people away from wood heating and onto electric (and now more recently, natural gas) reverse cycle systems, especially in Launceston where wintertime smog is a big issue.

In terms of Evap VS reverse cycle you'd have to look at running costs versus cooling capacity. Reverse cycle split systems have become a helluva lot more energy efficient in recent years thanks to inverter technology, so running costs are better than they used to be. Evaporative coolers don't work well in high humidity either nor can dehumidify return air. Do you live inland or near the coast? I suppose the other big question is - do you want the ability to heat the house in winter?

Assuming your ducting runs straight off the roof mount cooler, converting over to a ducted split system would require enough room (and access) under your roof to fit the indoor unit. Your existing ductwork (I'm assuming flexible duct?) would then just tape onto a suitable starter box attached to the ducted unit's supply air side. You'd have to also install a return air grille, cushionhead and flex (or two) to return air back to the indoor unit for filtering and cycling.

The other, simpler and probably cheaper option is to simply install 2-3 high wall mount systems across the house. I've seen small commercial installs where the architect has tried to be clever and service 6-8 rooms with a single big ducted unit and it is a nightmare to get enough airflow, plus every person wants individual temperature control which you obviously can't get from a single unit.

Cheers, Ben.

Comment

All depends on the condition and size of the duct. If you were happy with the old swampy than I would just bolt another one on. There is a lot less to go wrong ( no compressor and only one PC bored ) and there a lot cheaper to run. And if your really remote there not that hard to fix your self rather than waiting for a fridgie to come out. If you replace the swampy for air con you're cheapest option would be wall mounted splits

Comment

Working...
      X