This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you recommend a motorbike to me ?

I have not had a new dirt-bike for a LONG time.

So I would like to get some advise on which bike may suit my needs.

- Get around locally a bit on the roads
    - Get out to the country, for personal get aways
    - Take it to the bush for hunting, exploring and occasional overnight camp
    - Enough ability to travel distances at highway speeds
    - Reliable
    - Easy spare parts access
    - Engine capacity to do the above and maybe have a pillion passenger.
    - reasonable power
    - reasonable economy

All opinions are welcome
    Please provide pics of the motor-bikes you suggest
    The TRUTH is out there,
    the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
    We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
    That's why he is made of Chocolate.

sounds like you need a good ag bike 17 , check out the suzuki trojan and the kawasaki kl 250 ag bike . i have owned both brands in 250 cc size and had no complaints . i currently run a yam 125 ag and a honda xr 190 fuel injected ag bike. i use the yam for fox whistling and the honda for when i feel like letting loose a bit .you want pics let your fingers do the walking.be aware this thread could open a can of worms..cheers...pd.

Comment

Drz400

Comment

Ad PD warned Room for a passenger or two/ flat bed for sleeping one /Two at a squeeze/Power to burn /Easy acees to the motor for sevicing ets/ Big and tyres for traction..
        Might be bit noisy for hunting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cm0616-253702_3@2x.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	322309
        [center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• 17Hornet
          17Hornet commented
          Editing a comment
          Once in the scrub, at least I would have a Bipod platform for those long shots..

Bikes to do those jobs are a big compromise as road and dirt are so different.

The only thing that could do the dirt and handle the road apart from those big tourers that BMW started would be one of the single 4 stroke jap bikes. 450s are the best.
        Then it's researching the compromise between the enduro bias to milder road trail.
        Tyres are also pretty opposite with knobies great in the dirt but not so good on a wet road.
        I had a mint condition Yamy XT 600 between real bikes that had these touring trials type tyres, semi- knobs with a round profile.
        They went well on the tar and easy trails.

I have lost track on the models but Spaceballs is onto it, the DR Suzukis were a good value enduro or trail bike.
        They are all very tall bikes that would put the short asses off but it gives them some ground clearance.
        Any low seat height models will be soft commuter type road trails.

Things may have changed in recent years but that's how it was 10 years back before I lost touch.

You are not allowed to ride them anywhere now apart from state forests or private property.

Comment

problem solved!!

Not 100% sure, but I think if you can rego a Ural outfit with the box on the r/h/s, you can have the 3rd wheel driven as well for more awesomeness,
          of course - khaki, olive drab, or jungle green paintjob is mandatory, red star is optional [unless you hunt with a 7.62x54r]

Ural Australia (imz-ural.com.au)
          all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

NO.
            "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• 17Hornet
              17Hornet commented
              Editing a comment
              Why cant I give a dislike to this Post ??

• HERNE
              HERNE commented
              Editing a comment
              Why it’s sound advice... Should get likes all round.

I have a Suzuki drz 200 ag bike the thing get absolutely trashed and it still goes.
            you're probably better off getting a drz 650. The firerys use them to check the trails. The only bad thing is there abit on the heavy side compared to my RMZ 450.

here's a link for them Hornet.
            https://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au...-road/dr650se/
            Last edited by Sparta; 13-07-2021, 06:52 AM.
            Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Klx450.
              Drz400
              crf300L

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                problem solved!!

Not 100% sure, but I think if you can rego a Ural outfit with the box on the r/h/s, you can have the 3rd wheel driven as well for more awesomeness,
                of course - khaki, olive drab, or jungle green paintjob is mandatory, red star is optional [unless you hunt with a 7.62x54r]

Ural Australia (imz-ural.com.au)
                That does appeal to me.

AND considering Shooting Australia is sponsoring the purchase with a once off grant of $32K, I should get the 223 minigun mounted on the pod bonnet,
                after the appropriate website stickers are applied.

Should be a real head turner in Orange.

Last edited by 17Hornet; 14-07-2021, 01:47 PM.
                The TRUTH is out there,

Comment

Thanks guys for the support.

In my time it was a choice of the big thumpers in Jap bikes, the engine tech had some issues in every brand that I knew of.
                  Times will have changed that a lot.

So for my money I would like parts availability also, I always knew the AG bikes had parts all over the place.
                  Reliability is of course paramount.

Which brands have the better country support for parts ?

What are the most popular AG bikes these days by brand and model, engine capacity ?

And YES I am looking up all the above listed bikes.

Although I am not tall, I have always wanted a 500cc bike, but the weight is not desired, however I have to choose considering the best compromise hey ?
                  I mean really, how much tight scrub riding will I be doing

My concerns of a 200 or 250 are that they may not handle the longer rides 2000km rides I am planning, traveling with some gear but light.
                  Any comment on that thought ?
                  The TRUTH is out there,

Comment

Thanks for the support...

Don’t thank me... Thank the ‘Ambos’.

You should be looking up statistics... Does it have to be broken down?
                    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

The 400 or 450s, whatever they are nowadays have got to be the best compromise to do everything I reckon.

The 600 thumpers win hands down for the road but offroad they are more a plodder fire trail type thing.
                      They will get heavy and a handful in rough tight stuff unless they are the more enduro bias models like the old XR Hondas.

Back in my days parts were all overpriced with Hondas easier to get and Suzukis harder.
                      Yamaha seemed OK with those big shops that still seem to be around while lots of others closed.
                      I had good runs and hardly needed any parts on jap bikes.

Clicked on the DR link and it looks like they still run those tyres that work well on the road as I mentioned.
                      Trials or semi-knobbies but a round profile.
                      I used to surprise the road bikes chasing them down coming up the twisty back mountain pass with those tyres gripping well.

Yeah, for touring the 250s make a great commuter bike.
                      Last edited by magoo; 14-07-2021, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Grab yourself one of theses mate, go anywhere especially on footpaths and laneways and make a couple bucks on the way. Click image for larger version

Name:	C0F26478-AD2F-4E1B-92F1-60645FC0F0A8.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	322371

Comment

Originally posted by 17Hornet View Post
                          Thanks guys for the support.

In my time it was a choice of the big thumpers in Jap bikes, the engine tech had some issues in every brand that I knew of.
                          Times will have changed that a lot.

So for my money I would like parts availability also, I always knew the AG bikes had parts all over the place.
                          Reliability is of course paramount.

Which brands have the better country support for parts ?

What are the most popular AG bikes these days by brand and model, engine capacity ?

And YES I am looking up all the above listed bikes.

Although I am not tall, I have always wanted a 500cc bike, but the weight is not desired, however I have to choose considering the best compromise hey ?
                          I mean really, how much tight scrub riding will I be doing

My concerns of a 200 or 250 are that they may not handle the longer rides 2000km rides I am planning, traveling with some gear but light.
                          Any comment on that thought ?
                          17 if you plan on doin 2000 or so ks you need 2 bikes , one for shootin and dickin around and a good tourer for distance , one bike to do all that you want will not do either well....pd.... ps. pay attention to seat height in the specs.
                          Last edited by pd; 14-07-2021, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X