Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HERNE View Post
    G’day fellas...

The Steel Vision ‘ninja shemagh’ mask is sectional and can be configured to suit. Got plenty of great raves and not from just those who wear their ‘Reg Grundies’ over their jeans.... But will take ‘Sav mans’ advice and go with the WIA mask.

The little machine is second hand and rapidly approaching prices comparable to new similar versions... So, will probably go with something ‘spankers’.

I have a jacket already and a heavy duty ‘pinnie’...

I’m getting pretty keen to start but will be waiting until around Easter when the weather cools down more... By then and some more advice here I should be GTG.

’Sev’, I shouldn’t have shown you the mask... Coz it’s taken the surprise out my waking you in the wee hours and giving you a ‘Turkey Slap’ with the oxy torch.

Magoo... That’s my sense of humour mate. Hot as it maybe it’s still OAF.
    herne, check out the promax 500 lids around the $240 mark. you will notice the larger viewing screen which is a total god send. and a set of gloves of course....cheers..pd.

Comment

Put a decent 150 mm vice on one corner of the trailer . you wont regret that.
      Any welder that will run about 140 amps is big enough for general farm work ,,,, 3.2 mm rods or 80 amps for 2.5 mm if you cant stick it together with that its a bigger job for a workshop.

Nothing wrong with your choices there and you can hide in it too but it might be a bit hot especially if you have burns or scars tha might stay sensetive for a bloody long time think yers not days
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Dave, I have 'piebald' type scarring to my hands where there is different pigment colouring and in places no pigment at all. Even long days in the sun has them changing colour or part blistering. My neck a little too in places. The wife tells me its because it's so new. I tell her bullshit it's scarring!... Still no flesh wasting or deformations. (I was lucky... 10's of seconds they reckon.)

So as you see I'm cautious and conscious of the PPE. I intend to use my spare time in winter for my projects and the odd time doing some site welding when required. The vice is on the agenda and I also thought a couple of right angle corner sets... What do you reckon?

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

No medic here but I reckon you might wear that mottly skin look for life...... and 10 seconds is cutting it fine so you count your blessings in seconds .
          Once the subcutaneous layer is cooked your down to the crackling..

Crackling Rosie with a crackling operator has a sort of poetic ring to it .

The PPE is always a good thing regardless of how it was in the good old days with out it < may they never come again > nothing can replace hearing / heal pain / replace old eyes that could have all fared better if we had listened instead of being tough Rex hunts.

The vice is good as well as a couple of magnets which do help a bit .
          A set of right angle or 45`s angle iron jigs to clamp stuff in helps in fabricating stuff and is sort of essential if you are going to make accurate angles and joins and so on.
          Set squares and spirit levels aside which my cheese gives me shit about....... a plumb bob never lies for opinions on verticals either.
          Last edited by NoFerals; 06-12-2020, 05:36 PM.
          [center]
          Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

If you are keen on a small mig, I would get a little inverter stick machine as well as they are now so cheap and it will get any heavier jobs done if it's too heavy for the mig. Small, light and no powering probs.

Welders are bad for tripping out the little orange power boxes and even the heavy industrial leads can get too hot and curl up like a snail.
            Ours may have been too long, but we needed the 30m ones to reach on the big construction sites.

I have a permanent white indentation on the back of my hand from wearing riggers gloves and a red hot rod end fell in and stuck, didn't tickle and a fair class of burn.
            Got no treatment as there was no breakdown fitter to cover me and stuffed if I was going to a doctor on the early finish Friday in my own time.

I made a good set of 4 corner jigs, a great way to go but I left them at that place as I had to return after injury to steal my tools back and the car was full.
            They donated the good new set of welding leads and handle to replace the crappy sets that come with little machines.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3E3E51BE-E4EA-4A54-83DB-0E99187B005C.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	319209
              "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

funny you should mention it.
                i was in the back yard an hr ago welding up a little frame thinking, hmmm that thread could do with some ifo.

for xmas my father heard i was looking for a cheap little arc welder.
                any way he bought me a little cigweld arc welder. no not a late model inverter type but an older one none the less.
                makes no difference to me as it'll do the same job. albeit slightly heavier to carry but still not a problem.
                so far it runs the 2.5mm and the 3.2mm electrodes just fine.
                great for the small jobs i intend to use it for around the house.
                as always with small arc welders,....make sure you use good quality electrodes, as it makes a 'weld' of difference.
                keep your electrodes nice and dry as by nature they will try to absorb moisture once the packet is opened.

Comment

Brought myself a new welder yesterday. Cigweld Transmig 175i
                  I had 27 years service out of my old Transmig Ruralpak 195 so see how this little fella goes.

Cheers
                  SSAA Q18

Comment

Originally posted by FNQBunyip View Post
                    Brought myself a new welder yesterday. Cigweld Transmig 175i...
                    they're a handy unit.
                    i had one until it got stolen a couple yrs ago.

Comment

Originally posted by FNQBunyip View Post
                      Brought myself a new welder yesterday. Cigweld Transmig 175i
                      I had 27 years service out of my old Transmig Ruralpak 195 so see how this little fella goes.

Cheers
                      Bought my daughter one of these for Xmas, good little set up.
                      Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

Working...
                      X