Help with a little hands on training...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice little Cigweld, they were still a bit pricey when I bought my little red Italian one.

In the shed where you do the big jobs and never move the heavy fkers, the big old machines are hard to beat, they just go forever and have a duty cycle that could see it welding all day without a break, although I have done some big jobs with the little Cigweld units.

My all-time fav GP rods were the blue and blue striped ones from the big 2 brands, they make a nice looking weld without even trying.
    Most blokes just use the small-sized electrodes (2.5) with the little machines but a 140amp welder should be able to run the 3.2 rods that would be good for practice and not waste a pack every session.

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post

My all-time fav GP rods were the blue and blue striped ones from the big 2 brands, they make a nice looking weld without even trying.....
      most likely E4113 electrodes such as cigweld 'satincraft' rods. (or that family of electrodes).
      extremely popular as they are very user friendly, and produce a good weld which is usable for nearly all applications.
      the down side is those are a bit pricey.

Herne, any of the following rods are ideal for general welding.
      E4111 / E6011,
      E4112 / E6012,
      E6013 / E4113

If you're in a pinch, then any of the E4811 family of rods will suffice also. They just won't be quite as user friendly, such as to start the arc etc.

getting into specifics here but in case you're wandering what those numbers are;
      E = electrode
      first two numbers equal 10 percent of the minimum tensile strength the weld will produce (E41 would produce a minimum of 410 mpa of tensile strength).
      third number represents the position it can be used in (1 = any position, 2 = 'limited' positions).
      last number represents the type of flux coating the rod has, and the polarity it can be used on.

yes boring,...but understanding this helps identify problems such as wondering why the welding isn't going as good as it should etc.

there is a plethora of electrode information out there.
      don't bother yourself with it, just stick to the basics when choosing electrodes.
      with small welders running off a 240 volt outlet, stick with 2.5mm electrode sizes.

Comment

well herne i will not give you welding hints you have plenty as is, but i will say this .there are four great inventions in home welding no1- the portable mig in the 180 amp range [mine is a lincoln ] no2- the auto darkening lid ,send it is spot on in his advice you will pay over $200 for anything worth buying ,i prefer millers. no3- flux cored gasless mig wire,its great a bit of rust ,paint or galv who cares just weld it.[.send it is probably dialing a counsellor about now]. and no 4- the 5 inch grinder fitted a flapper disc in medium to fine grit .the best weld dressing tool ever invented .combine all these ingredients and you will not go wrong. i will not be surprised to see you and junior herne making a killing on those flash arsed fire pits you posted a while back. kids love weldng shit my goon squad grand sons do....cheers..pd.

Comment

Yep, my miss 16 was using a mig at age 5yrs, she has no great talent but has the concept down and would not surprise me if she made some tool for her detecting in the future.

I would go the mig over stick anyday, got an inverter stick, 2x mig 180, 1x mig 120 kids toy gasless, a nice kempi tig, lots of grinders, a plasma cutter, a generator to power it all,
          and have not used anything but the grinders in around 10 years !

That is all about to change.

I used to repair and service mig welders, no welding talent in me though, but will not do anything structural or stressed either.

I will give Send-it a call for that....
          If he is half of other pro-welders that I have watched working and worked with, he would be the 'ONE'
          The TRUTH is out there,
          the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
          We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
          That's why he is made of Chocolate.

Comment

Yeah, Saturn Craft were one of those blue rods that welded great, I just ordered them.
            The big company paid for them.

Plasma cutters are the go. I wouldn't bother setting up an oxy rig unless I had to heat stuff.
            We couldn't have them as the little welders only lasted about 3 months.
            Grinders were lucky to go for 2 months apart from a Milwalki that they just couldn't destroy.
            Drills and 4" grinders were often burned out on the first or second job with the contract butchers they used.
            Had a big blue mig in each w/shop and both were in their death throws and the service blokes couldn't seem to fix them.

Got some good tools as in the end, the boss would order 2, 1 for my locker and 1 for general access.
            Lost some as I kept lending them back out.

Comment

Strewth! It was such a simple question...

Bloody awesome responses fellas. I must advise you blokes I have a few of the tools mentioned already. Metal 'droppy', 9,5,4 grinders, a variety of metal working hammers, work bench's, block and tackle. clamps, blow torch etc and designated under cover area.

But the welding machine, magnetic drill and 'noggin lid' not yet. Your advise so far is great fellas keep it coming...

'Gav' not boring mate...

'Danlander' I'm not that keen on bacon... Can I replace it with black pudding?
              "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Good stuff Herne.
                we have unimig stick welders there bullet proof.
                and we just bought a portable mig weld oh wow its soo good.
                another thing depending on what your welding dont go too small with your welder ability youd rather bigger than smaller.
                well there you go ey at least it's still standing so your welds must of been half decent lol

come past next time your in the area you can have a swing off both welders Herne.
                Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Originally posted by pd View Post
                  w....- flux cored gasless mig wire,its great a bit of rust ,paint or galv who cares just weld it.[.send it is probably dialing a counsellor about now]. ......

no not at all.
                  up until about 12 months ago i had a cigweld 175i that i ran gassless wire in it for farm maintanence etc.
                  did the job fine,......until some barstard broke into the place and stole it.
                  made a lot of farm gates and things like that with it.

Comment

What year were you born ‘’sparts’ ... That ‘eye-sore’ on Mona Vale Road wouldn’t be a decade older than you would it.

Ill pop by one of these days mate. When things aren’t so hectic. I’m a man on a mission atm and there’s shit going on, on all fronts.
                    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Sounds like the little gasless migs have come a long way, I went a small gas one as they were less sparkly for working on the cars.
                      Was like a 400 square cube of lead.

Couldn't go wrong with a small arc welder and a little mig machine to grab for sheet and other light materials.
                      Just grab the stick for general farm jobs and thicker steels.

You would prob learn more with a half-day at Spartas than from me TBH as apart from the very basics that you have done, I am not sure where or how to start unless you work out what particulars you need more skills and tips from Send-it and others on how to go about it.
                      We could try though, I could make a big day of it and shoot at the bush archery field and check out your sign, won't stop and look for bird shit though LOL.
                      At Sparts shed, you could try out the diff machines and make yourself useful by tacking or welding some of his jobs, win,win.

Not sure if I kept them, but was given a few old textbooks that were said to be very good, not that I ever read them, was not into study on work shit.
                      If you want them, I will pull the box down and look for them.

Prob need to work on learning how to weld up the gaps as in air space between the metals without blowing holes as that's what you get in the real world.
                      Hard to teach but that's where the weaving, pausing, and speed control comes into play. I am good at blowing the holes so learned by fixing them.

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
                        I am good at blowing the holes so learned by fixing them.
                        An apprentice ship of on the job training in welding rusted out steam lines would have helped you overcome that bad hole blowing habit Maggo.
                        Just picture it : The steam delivery lines , 100 mm black pipe are suspended along the internal stone walls at all sorts of heights....wrapped in fiber glass lagging that`s rotten with age and heat......more a conglomerate of flakes of rust and dirt as old as the distillery itself ...The pipes are deteriorated to paper thin in spots so leaks happen any where and any time usually where the lines contact other steel or a suspension band or cross an internal limestone wall and you have a good old stick welder and a ladder and nothing else.
                        In the middle of night shift the super gives you the job Fix it .So you cut the steam supply but the whole thing is saturated and wont dry out anyway, frigging around trying to make it better usually has the reverse effect putting patches over it is not much chop so ??????.

Go gently Bently and do your best.

Today you wouldn't even be allowed to start but that`s another story of another time and place....where productivity was everything and some times even people and lives were expendable.
                        Last edited by NoFerals; 20-11-2020, 03:46 PM.
                        [center]
                        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

+1 for satin craft rods

Comment

Herne,
                            this one might be more your style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siWdovsUYBg

my uncle had an old ford flat head v8 powering a gen set much like this one.
                            from what i heard it did the job well.

Comment

Actually Herne this thread, or topic, has highlighted something to myself.
                              I'm a boilermaker/welder,...but don't own a welding machine of my own at home.
                              why would i? I've nearly always been able to use works equipment whenever i've needed.
                              However,....i plan on buying a welder for myself here at home by the end of this week and your thread has good timing.

I will (if you wish) keep you all updated on the equipment i end up buying, and include its intended purpose, and reasons why i buy this particular piece of equipment.

it may help you with your own directions.

So far,... i intend on getting the 'Cigweld' 140 amp 'weldskill' arc welder.
                              it'll do everything i plan on using it for,...including where and why i'll use it,...what consumables i'll use with it, and how in general it performs or what to look out for.
                              anything bigger and i'll use a piece of equipment from work.
                              stay tuned.

hopefully i'll have feedback on the matter before the weekend.

Comment

Yeah, nothing wrong with blokes talking about tools and toys.

With the price now and the small size and lightness, you wouldn't bother bringing one home from work.
                                When I got mine, I only pulled the mig out once in about 10 years for broken washing machine bits.
                                Prices and weight have come down so much, it wasn't worth selling so just did a big steel scrap run.
                                They got the oxy set I was collecting up as well with a brand new comet mixer.
                                Then by chance met an old local mate that I could have given the stuff to, always the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X