What does she do for kicks ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does she do for kicks ?

Miss 16yrs is the go to for researching historical items and places, in this house,
    NO doubt because of her many finds and where she finds them, then researches what, why, who, when.

Through this Covid thing she has become an A++ grade student, not even at school, she is in the top 7 kids of the high school.
    Written papers on SA history that she has been asked to attempt to get published, another 3 Subject teachers want to use her work
    to demonstrate to current and future students what is required - she completed these works before the assignments were set in Class.

What does she do for kicks ?

This Term 4 they are meant to write a paper on Volunteer Work and how to go about doing it.

She completed this mid last term, and applied for volunteer work with the local Council library, was happily accepted as she had already
    established a track record there, but had to wait until she was 16yrs (about 4 weeks ago), been there since in spare time.
    For those that use TROVE, https://trove.nla.gov.au/
    You may be looking at her work as you research.

BUT, she also applied to State Records (part of the Attorney Generals Department) and has spent a healthy part of her holidays working there
    and now continuing with online work - she loves the tactile part of holding the almost 200yr old records while she prepares them for
    Catalogues and digital records - the history is interesting and often pretty sad as her current project is dealing with Records of Children in
    very hard circumstances.
    Apparently there are over 95km's of shelves with paper records, tape recordings photo's, files, movies and everything in between.

Going to try to get her onto archaeological work with a University. Any help from Forum members would be appreciated.

Kids, what are they good for ??
    The TRUTH is out there,
    the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
    We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
    That's why he is made of Chocolate.

That one... Politics.
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Politics ??
      The TRUTH is out there,

Comment

Yes, Local and State council chambers hold the keys or own the many doors of these interests. I mean she is already in one of those corridors... Seek out the political conduit in charge of the topical portfolios.

There is also National Parks authorities, historical trustees (private and Gov.)

Believe it or Not there is also the Girl Guide Association and Venturers... Both of who have been known to get involved with historical digs and preservation.

Sure, try the Uni's but there are other ways to enter this area interest indirectly for someone considering future tertiary education qualifications in this sort of thing... In fact by going up this route, gives better chances because of previous experience, ticking boxes in securing limited uni positions.

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Originally posted by 17Hornet View Post
          Politics ??
          i think she could combine politics with archaeological work and in the process perhaps dig up the last politician that told the truth and was worth a damn....pd

Comment

Originally posted by pd View Post

i think she could combine politics with archaeological work and in the process perhaps dig up the last politician that told the truth and was worth a damn....pd

She is more likely to bury the worst of the buggers deeper.

Her passions lie with research after finding old stuff in the dirt, history, photography, outdoors, writing about it all.
            At THIS time anyway.

Told her to get her foot in the door, some experience, apply for work and use the income to follow her 'stars'.
            Local Council could be a go, work all over Australia.

Surprisingly she does have a bit of experience that none of her co-workers have, to the point of advising an adult doing personal research of three alternative
            paths to find what they were looking for, her supervisor didn't know them, but agreed that they would be good resources and later told miss 16 that she was impressed.

Next site for her to detect over and research may be Govt House, where the SA Governor needs to give her permission.
            This will be interesting..... will let you know how it goes.

Oh, I forgot, with TROVE she is working with Italian Newspapers (Historical Australian) and the normal English papers.
            She is doing advanced Italian language studies, and it has been good for her to bridge this into her work. Her own initiative.

I got her to show me what the work entails.
            It needs accuracy, patience, good eye and some brain gymnastics because the OCR Scanning does not get thing right.

An example we cracked up over last night - "10 shots" was OCR'd into 10 snots
            Last edited by 17Hornet; 11-10-2020, 03:53 PM.
            The TRUTH is out there,

Comment

Working...
            X