Why ain't my chainsaw cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The trouble with a tyre is you can't jack up the pressure much over 50psi to give you that extra capacity.
    My old air tank is too big at 40lt, 10-15 would be nice and a tube shape to strap it on somewhere.

As far as Palm trees go, I never want my saws or property to see another one.
    The base was near a meter in diameter but it must have been sort of stunted till the huge gum tree was removed and then it started growing.

Here is a photo of the whisper machine next to the old thumper, no oil in them as well.
    No leaking as I had to strip the little saw and clean it to get the beast to run.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Very happy with the Stihl 291 now, running another new chain but a semi-chisel for the first time.
      It's a good allrounder for when you cut the dirty dry wood and more normal trees.
      Done 3 sessions and not swapped back to a full chisel, just 4 strokes per cutter on the tailgate per tank.

It went OK on the real bad termite and ant wood that was my main problem but used both saws to get a load.

Last week I went back to clean up on my local block and got the biggest load yet, a few rounds had to go in the cab as the tub was full.
      Found a big broken section of Stringybark that has seasoned to a burnable 20% moisture content.
      I just debark it to avoid all the ash but it comes off easy as it's dry enough.

Got about 80% of the stringy loaded and decided to do the treck in to see how my big Blackbutt is seasoning.
      Still fresh and must have been ripped clean out of the ground over 2 years back and no fire damage.
      Diced up about 9 rounds about a foot long for carry out, 4 trips is enough for me.

May feel it tomorrow as I split and debarked 90% of the stringy before shower and dinner.

Good just working solo in the bush as it's been my weekly lockdown highlight and nicer day today.

I have befriended a new backyard bird when I split as it goes for grubs in the wood.
      Medium small with a greeny-yellow chest. NFI what it is but it buzzes close as I am no threat.
      Another bigger one hangs around when I cut on the bush block, must be doing the same.

Loppers were down the next street, but was just a big stringy, need a fresh redgum for next year as it seasons and burns so well.
      Also don't want to stop and talk to people with the Covid crap although I think the owner is a local and had a Duc that we talked about when we met.

Comment

• If it still does it with a new chain and dressed bar the other thing could be wrong chain gauge for the bar slot size . Small Husqvana say .050 thickness but it seems very sloppy on mine . I think Husqvarna may have had some manufacturing mistakes in their chain bars and they are oversize in the slot . I reckon mine is . Worth checking , take it too a Husqvarna agent and have them check the bar slot .
        Don't buy bulk chain taken off the roll . Only buy brand stamped , Husqvarna or Oregon chain . Make sure the chain is properly tensioned because if it's loose it can roll the cutting edges as it cuts .

Comment

• Yeah, I new bar fixed the little old Husky, could feel it straight away when I put a chain in the groove.
          The groove had worn to a round shape.
          I got 5 full chisel chains on special at a Stihl shop for about $120, would have been off a roll.
          That saw has run like a champion since.

The new second-hand bigger saw is a Stihl 291 and runs great with lots of power but gets the cutting stuff too hot.
          I may have killed a new Stihl full chisel .325" chain with heat as I put it on the other day to rip a few big fresh rounds that I can't split.
          The chain went blunt after a couple of cuts and the heat comes if I go any further.
          Will give it one more try and then get it ground to see what goes.

The only thing that works well is a new semi-chisel Stihl chain that came factory-made in its own box, which surprised me.
          I can cut and just give it a few file strokes for each tank of juice.

Others have said they run a bit lean on bar oil and it's not adjustable, unfortunately.
          Will see exactly how much oil is left as I didn't fill the tanks and have a few logs left to rip.

Saws are great when they are cutting well but what a shit when they won't cut.
          I take both for every job now and it gets done, just slower with the little saw and I bog it down at first before adjusting to it.

Comment

• With bar oil I have found that most brand saws that are not adjustable are set up to pump a certain viscosity oil . So if you buy a brand of oil that is thicker viscosity it don't lubricate enough . I just buy the Husqvarna bar oil for Husqvarna saws and it works ok . I am much better at fixing guns than chainsaws .

Comment

• Originally posted by SAAME View Post
              With bar oil I have found that most brand saws that are not adjustable are set up to pump a certain viscosity oil . So if you buy a brand of oil that is thicker viscosity it don't lubricate enough . I just buy the Husqvarna bar oil for Husqvarna saws and it works ok . I am much better at fixing guns than chainsaws .
              Most are designed with the European or American market in mind, I believe it’s law they’re required to use a vegetable oil as bar lube for environmental reasons , as far as I know Australia is one of a very few countries that still allow mineral oil use.
              Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

• Tip for Husky bar lube was Sydney Tools special, was about $16 for a 5lt container.
                Was a light brown rather than blue and f__k knows if it's a lesser quality.

I am still keen to try a thinner bar lube as this Stihl 291 of mine ran a tank of fuel to about 2/3 of a tank of oil at the most.
                Do you think it should use more oil Several?
                Others reckon they run lean on bar lube like mine.

The problem shows itself with super-tough dry wood that takes the edge off the chain and then the heat hits everything.
                Ant acid might have turned this tough redgum into rock as I test split a bit each month and it's still the hardest 8 to 10" stuff to split and it's now dry with the bark falling off.

Comment

• Wouldn't be having this conversation if you had a mate and a long blade 'Magoo'... But it still needs to be sharpened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	323077
                  "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• Sparta
                    Sparta commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow now that's a tree.

• HERNE
                    HERNE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’d say was... Now lumber.

• Sparta
                    Sparta commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very true.

• Seen some classic photos from the old days since I have been researching chainsaw stuff.

Would have the greenies shitting their pants.

The only green that I had any respect for was the original leader Bob Brown.
                  I think, from memory, the original SFFP leader John Tingle also had a good relationship with him.

Seen pics of Brown standing by a stump that would have about 8-10 blokes stand on top.

We have always had greeny-type councils and no live trees could be cut.
                  The Winmalee Yellow Rock wildfire that I could see from my house changed all that.

Could hear chainsaws running for the next year solid LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by magoo View Post
                    Tip for Husky bar lube was Sydney Tools special, was about $16 for a 5lt container.
                    Was a light brown rather than blue and f__k knows if it's a lesser quality.

I am still keen to try a thinner bar lube as this Stihl 291 of mine ran a tank of fuel to about 2/3 of a tank of oil at the most.
                    Do you think it should use more oil Several?
                    Others reckon they run lean on bar lube like mine.

The problem shows itself with super-tough dry wood that takes the edge off the chain and then the heat hits everything.
                    Ant acid might have turned this tough redgum into rock as I test split a bit each month and it's still the hardest 8 to 10" stuff to split and it's now dry with the bark falling off.
                    Try hydraulic oil.
                    It works. It’s just lube it doesn’t need any magical qualities and your lube won’t really make any difference to your chain holding an edge.
                    as long as the chain keeps turning its working.
                    Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

• Just as a side note & slightly off topic. Not that that ever happens here. We use the Stihl Bar Oil in our McHale V660 round baler. A lot of people use "used" transmission oil as it's thin & it just pours out. We had to increase the Auto oil one notch as the bar oil is a bit thicker, but the chains are well covered with oil at the end of the day, with out oil covering everything. "Normal service will now be resumed" or what passer for it around here.
                      How to make a small fortune out of farming?
                      Start with a large one!

Comment

• Transmission oil I have and not much use for as how much Eds Red does one need.
                        I was just going to use the light modern engine oil.
                        Just to see if it uses about a tank for a tank of fuel, would sort of prove it and show any diff with more bar oil.

If there is any diff, I can mix the tacky lube with thinner oil.

I ran the saws dry and hung them up in the back shed as lockdown has stopped everything now.
                        Still need more for next year but that will be full-on Summer play now and not ideal.
                        Worse if we peak at 2,000 cases a day and the cops can't stop the spreaders.

Most of my prob was the ant wood that had turned into stone but the Stihl was going OK with the semi-chisel chain and getting more cuts.

Split a few bits of the shit yesterday during a few hours chopping up garden prunings.
                        Only a couple of bits left to split but the worse ones, longer and not cut straight so won't sit on the block as solid.
                        That will be a workout.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Sundry1 (2).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	323094
                          Timber cutters in SA early turn of the century WORK .
                          1900 some thing BM <Before Magoo>
                          [center]
                          Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• Why is my chainsaw ????.
                            My be some thing to do with your grip .

Click image for larger version

Name:	lol .jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	323256
                            [center]
                            Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Working...
                            X