Why ain't my chainsaw cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why ain't my chainsaw cutting?

Had my little Husky 136 forever for infrequent chainsaw gardening jobs.
    It always cut like butter and I never let the chain go blunt, just a few strokes with the file after use and cleaning.

I gave it a new chain the other year from a reputable shop and was going OK.
    Now I need it to feed a combustion heater, chopping dead small stuff for this year.

Anything much over 6" and it starts the cut but as bar gets in deep, it struggles and stops cutting.
    At first, I thought it was the logs jamming it but after some angling and veeing, it seems it is cutting with the teeth on one side of the chain, but not the other as I can make it cut by tilting the saw to the right and it will cut through with an angle cut to the left.

Got a shop to dress the bar to rule that out and grabbed some branches to take home and test in the yard, still the same.
    The cutters look good and seem to be the same length, got an angle gauge and the ones I checked are spot on.
    I don't see why my method would have changed, just use the round file with the angle marked plate clipped on.
    I do give about 7 strokes each cutting edge, when I started, I used to just give them 3 or so.

Spose I could get a shop sharpening job and see. Another new chain from a diff shop.
    I wanted to file the rakers as well but can't see how the new guide, gauge thing works for that and never did it before.

Any ideas?
    I will take to it with the verniers and inspect with magnifying glasses tomorrow.

The last job it did was huge as the bodgie brothers took a massive gum down but left the stump just under the fence height.
    Was 3-4' in dia and the little Husky and a big axe took it down about another meter bit by bit.
    The shop bloke said the bar looked fine and it still has most of the paint intact.

Taken down the rakers?

Comment

For last two years, I've used these type of files, wish I used them earlier on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200728_234516.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	316380

If the bars been dressed then it should be fine as the shop has said. It's not bent?

the chain sproket in good condition? No oil or grease on the clutch causing slipage?.

I'm no pro, but I do fix my own gear, and service etc. and cut plenty of wood for home snc in laws.

Several will be the man, the resident arborist

Comment

Bars will always cut to the sharp side. If all the teeth are sharp the rakers on one side must be longer. If the bar is getting stuck , is the chain the right size & cutting wide enough for it. You only have t hit one rock on one side for it to be buggered & cut wrong. I brought a cheep disc sharpener off eBay for less than $100 the frame is plastic so you need to use care not to twist it. Friend brought a $400 one that is metal, but other than that mine does the same job. I used the round stone battery sharpeners for 30 years they polish the teeth up very smooth, but are too slow if you hit a rock & have to cut back a lot of teeth to size. Run the chain though you hands with the sun over you shoulder. Watch the reflection on the points of the teeth , are they the same? Best of luck I hate it when the thing is no cutting right.
        How to make a small fortune out of farming?
        Start with a large one!

Comment

I asked the shop for a gauge to do the rakers but can't figure out how the one they gave me works, it did show my cutting edge angles are spot on.
          I asked and he said the chain is the correct fit and looked good in the bar as I thought the bar groove may have worn or chain was the wrong size.

I am anal about not letting it even touch the ground, dirt and don't think I have hit anything.
          I thought the huge gum tree stump job has done something to it but I had the whole bar buried and it was cutting fine if I kept it from stalling.
          No way I could even cut a log under the 14" bar size now.

I don't think it's a clutch-type of problem, more just the chain not cutting.

Few things noticed is a raker looked bent and the chain has derailed a few times at the motor side.
          The bloke greased the bar sprocket and we think it is fine.

Will give it a rest for now as I searched out some 6.5 ELDm 140 projectiles for the greedy Creed for $62 a pack, will drive down and but a few hundred LOL.

Comment

First off Magoo it seems your technical bloke might not be as technically qualified as he says he is if he does say that.
            Your chain needs to fit the bar properly that means.
            Driver teeth mus not be too worn /
            The bar groove will wear round in the grove itself and let the teeth roll over side ways even withthe top squared off and the edges filed for burrs especially if you have been cutting abrasive timber ,The drive teeth wont be square as they need to be either in this case <cahin may look good but its not optimum by any amount, Use more oil helps wash the abrasives out abit so set your oiler to use two fills of oil per one of fuel and use a good sticky oil, Engine oils good for dirty wood as it allows to wash the cahin more. Sticky oil is good for soft timber, Top of the bar needs to be squared up properly/ The bar groove itself needs to be closed down in some instances this will mean fitting a piece of flat metal in the groove and peering down or pressing in a vice to close the grove to the correct width / one side is usually narrower than the other by a small amount / / Do NOT touch the hardened tip or roller nose as you WILL chip it and then need to rebuild that / it can be done with hardfacing welding rod if you put a piece of flat copper plate in the grove and weld up to that / < don`t ask how I learned that one >
            Sounds like you have done all the other checks may be just bite the bullet and buy a new bar and chain and sprocket and start all over its often easier than all this bush mucknic shit we did out of necessity when times were HARD money was scarce and shops were a bloody long way off.

Moneys short.
            Times are hard.
            Heres you bloody.
            Xmas card.
            Insert rude comments.

Had nothing on us older woodcutters in the Mallee.
            FWIW I was the first proud owner of a pioneer chainsaw in our old farm district and the old folks all said you`l never make any money with that.
            Let me tell you Two and a half weeks wages in two days every week for a good few years was n`t too bad for a young bloke with more muscle and ambition than sense back then.
            BUT I could spend the rest of the week either hunting roos with the dogs or trapping or shooting rabbits for a good quid too so I guess its not as bad a life in the good old days as people would have you think it was.

PSS : its trivia day just a bit more " a few old blokes who were professional timber cutters in pine forests near Adelaide use to cut the rakers completely off a chain and make the saw work like a planer.....would peel out half meter long strips instead of chips if you cut with the grain. They would sharpen a lot less and NEVER dipped the bar in the sand......these blokes treated their saws better than their wives .......

You could play with their money.
            You could play with their wife.
            But If you played with their chainsaws.
            You were fucking with your life .

PS : Pharr Out would know what I mean I reckon.
            YMMV 🤑
            Last edited by NoFerals; 29-07-2020, 11:54 AM.
            [center]
            Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Is this ‘dead branch dropper’ for firewood too technical...?

Click image for larger version  Name:	CA41F464-0632-4681-8647-4DF2E318B63C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	316390

That ‘Bravo’ had teeth with bite... And talons too.
              "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

I do know my Under/over wing shooter will get lots of kindling from the top of the tallest gum tree.
                My mate said he was wondering about all the branches on the ground.
                I told him that the Herne taught me how to do high pruning with my feet still on the ground.

Well I got 500 pills for the Greedmoor and decided to just drive home rather than look at the coast and make a day of it.
                Stopped at a Stihl shop and they said it could well be the rakers so I spent the 60-70 bucks on the fancy Stihl file unit.

Wasted some good bike chain cleaner and gave it a go with the fancy file that takes some off the rakers.
                Measured every cutter and all pretty consistent.
                Rakers are lower than cutting edge tip using a rule as a straight edge.

Only did the one small test cut as was still in my jeans and less old runners and felt better but I feel it may still be doing it and the cut was angled to go through nice and smooth.

That's a lot of info to take in Ferels, no wonder the shop blokes just go along with my ideas and just sell me something.
                He did say he had a real good special on chains but got to buy 5 for about $100.
                If there not cheap Chink crap, it is a good deal and that was the next step, then a bar.
                If I have to chase down and buy a sprocket, I could have just bought a new saw.
                You can see sprocket wear on bikes pretty easy from the side profile but not seen much of the teeth on these machines, will have a look.

The wood is hardish and can be dirty if it been on the ground, best bits are the ones still off the dirt for sure but this cutting problem was pretty much from when I started doing the firewood just a few weeks back so it could have been extra wear and tear from the big job after many years of small infrequent jobs,

It is becoming a PITA and I just want it to cut again, like butter would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
                  .....Any ideas?......
                  swing it harder.

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
                    I do know my Under/over wing shooter will get lots of kindling from the top of the tallest gum tree.
                    My mate said he was wondering about all the branches on the ground.
                    <snip.
                    It is becoming a PITA and I just want it to cut again, like butter would be nice.
                    Rakers recommended clearance used to be 25 / 30 thou on the old style chains...........measured on a flat section of the bar.

We used to file em with an angle grinder over a slotted guide to some where about "there's`s still a bit left there" probably 60 thou or so to long ago to remember now and just pay for chain......the cutting speed was worth it in medium soft regrowth wood.

Like oils aint oils woods aren't all woods or soft even if its pine or the like......dirty bark carries dust and wind blown accumulated grit and shit like no tomorrow and will play hell with chains.....some dry native woods have resins that are nearly as good as grinding paste too.
                    As recommended Old Mate Sev`s thee man when it comes to chain saws ......

[center]
                    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

You remembered the pruning 'Magoo'...

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	316396

Even a little .410 single shot with solids will get it done with you safe and sound, feet firmly planted on the ground...

Name:	IMG_1015.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	316397

At least I had the Tee Shirt and if all else fails.... Elevate your mates status.

Name:	IMG_1084.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	316398
                      "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post
                        Is this ‘dead branch dropper’ for firewood too technical...?

Click image for larger version Name:	CA41F464-0632-4681-8647-4DF2E318B63C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	316390

That ‘Bravo’ had teeth with bite... And talons too.
                        err no,just to bloody loud....pd.

Comment

Some prefer a good 'bang' to a constant whine...

Comment

That's the problem Send-it. I had a sore arm today and it should have been easy back yard cutting with aids like milk crates.
                            Also much safer when they cut like butter and much easier in the local bush. It ain't exactly flat country.

More good info Ferels as it looked a bit over half a mm +- a spiders pube.
                            Could be bar groove wear allowing the chain to flop and tilt.
                            The basic Huski has the old Triumph style auto chain lube system from the leaking pushrod seals that came standard.
                            If it's working, it leaves a puddle on the ground where you leave it but they block up if you don't clean it out with the air gun.
                            Then it gets smoking hot and could have worn the groove, happened a few times till I learned to point it at something and rev it to see the oil mark.
                            Found Johnos online that sells the sprocket and other parts, just can't be sure if the bar is the right one.

Yeah Herne, the post reminds me of the trip to my mates place to house sit, but as usual, unplanned dramas and had to babysit his new partner for the first night so I could drive her to work the next morning.
                            Put her to use with the spotlight but she was raiding my esky and refused to use the hearing protection I offered.
                            I ordered her to stand beside and back without moving and just point the light at the pests.
                            She wasn't very good and I had to look before each shot to feel safe.
                            Missed lots of shots and wasn't till I got back to relaxing and shooting my gongs mid-morning that I noticed all the sticks under the tree.
                            I found a few that I did get so not too unproductive.

Comment

@ Magoo ..Found Johnos online that sells the sprocket and other parts, just can't be sure if the bar is the right one.

More dramas when the online yooo bute after market bar turns out to have the oiler holes in the wrong location.......Broken drill bits wont help fix that and a gas axe is a bit radical .....
                              Take it from those who have tried a few short cuts and paid the price.
                              Go buy a new bar chain and sprocket and to hell with the cost.
                              Better STIHL Buy a complete new saw and enjoy the pleasure of working with some thing that just works.

Could be bar groove wear allowing the chain to flop and tilt.

Like all grove things forget the flop and tilt. just stay in the center and let the sides look after themselves.
                              👀
                              [center]

Comment

Working...
                              X