LED Lighting, Saving Energy and Saving $$$ around the Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Lighting, Saving Energy and Saving $$$ around the Home

Hi Guys, as I stated earlier, I have been doing a bit of research and work with Solar and energy saving lighting and appliances.

In this thread i want to cover LED Lighting, benefits and pitfalls.
    When rushing out to buy LED Lighting, things to bear in mind are Price, Warranty and Australian Approval or Certification.

Certification and Approval:
    I have seen a number of retailers sell product with misleading or incorrectly declared certification.
    Most common misleading certification is related to installation of the device rather then the actual approval of the device it self.
    Do a quick Google for the certification quoted, examples of partial or misleading certification
    AS/NZS 3000 Wiring Rules, how to,

You want the device to have an ASSxxxxx number and TÜV clearly marked on the device.
    It should also have a AS/NZS 60598.1 construction and Identification certification.

AS/NZS 60598.1 classification, marking, mechanical construction and electrical construction

TUV Australian import conditions require that products have undergone successful safety checks based on IEC-standards.

C-Tick used to indicate the compliance of radiocommunications equipment, electrical and electronic equipment subject to the EMC arrangement, and equipment required to meet EME standards

SAAXXXXXX This one is a bit confusing its Standards Association of Australia but it consists of private companies being able to test and certify, however the certificat can also be issued by asian companies for a 10th of the price of Australia

Certification is important to maintain consistency in wiring, operation and most importantly safety.
    This may not be important to some that have an understanding of the device and associated risks, but for those that want a certified product visit the following sites.

http://www.lightingcouncil.com.au/
    http://www.lightingcouncil.com.au/pdf/news/Light_8.pdf
    http://www.semtest.com.cn/en/showren.asp?id=36

Note: Certification is only required by resellers not importers, this opens the industry to unscrupulous practices.

The retailers make it clear that the devices are energy saving, but are they saving you money?

Most if not all LED lights will save you money compared to a product their designed to replace, the problem is the outlay for the initial product.
    Justification for the high price of the item is its stated life expectancy of 30,000+ hrs of operation, but is this true if the product comes with a 12 month warranty.
    The statement is correct that the normal operation of an LED light under ideal conditions is in the 100's of thousands of hours.

The problem is in the design of the enclosure or housing.
    Contrary to popular belief, LED's generates heat that needs to be dissipated, otherwise it reduces the life dramatically.
    To get the most brightness out of the LED's they are pushed to the limits with Voltage and Current, if the power supply or driver circuit can not maintain a constant Current and Voltage to the LED, Spikes or Surges will damage the LED.

we are all familiar with Downlights and lightbars etc,

New lights id like to show you are the following.

Led Flood Lights:

these are available of E Bay among other supliers, a good one with reasonable prices is Oatley electronics they also have other LED's and chips and drivers etc..

These lights are excellent I highly recommend them, there available in various sizes, 5w, 10w, 20w, 50w, 100w, 200w etc..
    The one pictured above is 20w and will equal and outperform 2x 150w floods like these.

these lights are available with 240 drivers and low voltage drivers.
    The light from Oatley electronics is fitted with a driver that will operate the light from 6v to 30v, you will have to do some assembly.

these lights use 20w over a year running 24/7 will cost you $48 to run compared to 2x 150w floods at $720 :S

LED Fluros:

I have just purchased 4 of these, at $25 each in my reloading room
    power consumption is 16w compared to 40w for an equivalent tube.
    at 27c Kwh running 24hrs a day 365 days a year..
    a 4ft tube uses 41w of power costing $96
    a 4ft LED uses 18w of power costing $43
    a saving of $53 over a year per tube.

These do not flicker and are Epileptic friendly!

there are 2 types of LED wiring configs, this is where standards or lack there of are a problem..
    the old VHS/BETA syndrome..

1. one end of the tube is Active and the other is Neutral, simply remove the starter insert the tubes and its done, you can leave the blasts in place.
    No starter or starter bridge is required, no electrician is required.

2. To throw the spaner in the works there is a second typ of LED tube with the Active and neutral on the same end.
    I purchased 2 of these from Aldis at $14 each had problems getting them to work at first.
    these will also go strait in but require a dummy starter to operate. generally the end with the active neutral will have some kind of distinguishing mark or be populated with text or labels or have a coloured band or something.
    The end that is not the power input will just be a shorted bridge loop you can test it with an ohm meter it will read 0 or indicate a short..

These LED tubes will not work with Electronic ballasts, it will need re wiring.
    there are many other LED products on the market that will help you save energy and money.

good to see another sparky on board
    nice basic explanation

Comment

• Squishie
      Squishie commented
      Editing a comment
      havnt seen or heard of LED tubes but when i do lighting jobs at work we always use 150watt LEDs, we do maintenance at one place and talked them in to using one since they have one that stays on 24/7 all the time and its been never turned off in 5 years while costing basically nothing to run

I'm upgrading all the rooms in the house at the moment with LED's and electronic dimmers, expensive but long run worthit.
    Next will be to do some lighting outdoors.

Comment

If any one needs electrical work done In Vic melbourne . I am a licensed electrical contractor and can advise / carry out all types of electrical and data work . Pm for any further details

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Iv thought about sensor lights in some rooms so when I waltz in they turn on, when I walk out the turn off,
        and at least two lights in each room, not in the middle of the ceiling so I'm not working in my own shadow all the time.

Working in ones own shadow is something few people have noticed happening.

I renovated some time ago and almost NOTHING modern labour saving lasted the year out, heat lamps, down lights, flick mixers, fancy sinks made of plastic stuff, sloping bottoms, NO THANKS

Most irritating.

• Varmtr
        Varmtr commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by M77" post=42822
        If any one needs electrical work done In Vic melbourne . I am a licensed electrical contractor and can advise / carry out all types of electrical and data work . Pm for any further details
        Another sparky.

:lol: Same here but now retired.

I am also a sparky, but I'm not chasing work, I was just wanting to give some advice on LED replacements. Firstly, be very careful on what you are buying off Ebay or else where for that matter as a lot is cheap rubbish. I know this from personnel experience, so look for known decent brands like Osram, Philips, etc (you may pay more but the quality and warranty a better). Secondly, as most of you are aware the LED lights are expensive. I would suggest replacing the light that are on the most with LED's and the rest with compact fluoro's (They compact fluoro's will still save you money) and upgrade when you can afford it.
      There are also other options with fluorescent fittings like the T5 tubes and electronic ballasts instead of iron core ballasts (basically less heat loss/ more efficient).

Hope this helps a little.

Rob.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the Interest guys.
        At first I did not think anyone was interested in this topic, I was away for a few days hunting in Orange upon my return I was pleasantly surprised.

LED lighting is a good way to shave a fair bit of money of your bill if you have lights on all night in places like yard flood lights etc..

As suggested start by replacing lights that are on for very long periods of time.

cant talk much tonight as i just got back and I am tired and have a mild sunburn, but i will cover a few down light options and suggestions..

cheers..

Interesting read, few years back I went through the house with cfls. Many didn't last for shit. Now as they go I'm putting LEDs in. Can't go wrong with LEDs. I got one of those led floodlights, a 10buck 12v eBay special, and wired it into the back of the van for a bit extra light. That thing will go and go without upsetting the battery. Last van I had if you leave the little crappy festoon light on for a few hours at a time the battery would be totally dead.

Comment

Working...
      X