Bench Rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Rest

Just starting out doing 50 metre bench rest shooting with my Savage MK2 BTVS and decided I need
    a decent front rest like a Caldwell Rock BR.
    My only problem is I don't want to pay that sort of $$$ for one so I started making my own from some bits of ally and stainless I had lying around, plus a 3/4" nut & bolt from Bunnings.
    This is my attempt so far, and I'm just waiting on my front rest bag to arrive so I can start on the the top section which will have windage adjustment.
    The base has both coarse and fine height adjustment, and levelling adjustments.
    Agricultural yes, but functional and cheap

Click image for larger version

Name:	rest5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	43473
    He who has never made a mistake has never made anything.

Many things have been developed by persons who were not smart enough to realize that they were impossible.

Looking good. I'm taking keen interest cos I am about to take on the very same project. I'm cheating a bit in that I'll be putting a Shadwell top on it, but I need/want to make the base myself.

You may say it's "agricultural" but I would have to say it's looking pretty damned good, If I can finish with something looking like that I'll be very pleased.

Comment

Well done mate, there's nothing like building your own equipment - looks great.
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Comment

• Dingo745
          Dingo745 commented
          Editing a comment
          Held up making the top section waiting for the bag I ordered to arrive so I can get correct measurements.
          As usual it takes forever to get here from the USA, plus a bad time of year for postage.

This is a benchrest ! I built it for the club use --rags [ Rough as guts ] prototype suits either handed shooter and is portable for big bore ranges.

Attached Files
        [center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• fishphillott
          fishphillott commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by NoFerals" post=37112
          This is a benchrest ! I built it for the club use --rags [ Rough as guts ] prototype suits either handed shooter and is portable for big bore ranges.

certainly no light weight bench NF

NF Edit : did not want it to blow away in a dust storm there fish and it does not move if you lean into it a bit with your breathing.
          When its jacked firm it sits on three supports --wheels off the ground and level too

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment

Bloody hell NF ...... don't do thing's by half :lol:

Cough up NF....where's the artillery piece, that goes with it.....
          Attached Files

• Dingo745
          Dingo745 commented
          Editing a comment

Now that is one sturdy outfit. Might not fit in our club's shooting bays
          Attached Files

nice work NF.
        just needs an esky for the ginger beers.

Comment

Good looking based there Dingo, but what is important is this,

http://drgreenlawmachining.com/new_adjustable_bag_windage_top

If you could copy it, good, otherwise might cost around $250-$300 delivered.

If your "serious" about benchrest shooting, then no one uses Cadwell anything in a "real" competition like the IBR, RBA....etc. They are good for starters and club based competitions, but that's it.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by beemer" post=37166
            Good looking based there Dingo, but what is important is this,

http://drgreenlawmachining.com/new_adjustable_bag_windage_top

If you could copy it, good, otherwise might cost around $250-$300 delivered.

If your "serious" about benchrest shooting, then no one uses Cadwell anything in a "real" competition like the IBR, RBA....etc. They are good for starters and club based competitions, but that's it.
            Oooooh! You name snob

That left hand rest looks like a Caldwell base with a Shadtree top. The top is a bit short of $500 from BRT, but has a lever adjust (if you're into that kinda thing).

• Dingo745
            Dingo745 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I looked at their stuff and the Caldwell Rock BR and this is what I came up with for a total outlay of about $30 including the Caldwell bag.
            The real benchrest snobs spend well over $1 K on a SEB NEO Co-Axial Front Rest or similar

Comment

Well my homespun front rest got a test drive today.
            I was happy with the results that I got with the new rest and my Savage MK2 BTVS using CCI std's

Click image for larger version

Name:	Group2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	51610
            He who has never made a mistake has never made anything.

Many things have been developed by persons who were not smart enough to realize that they were impossible.

Comment

Working...
            X