A 12v question for the electric crowd

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A 12v question for the electric crowd

    I have a dual battery system in my ute but my Dailey (Honda CRV) has a single battery and an aux plug in the back.

    If I get a cig plug to pos/neg clips and attach that to a battery, will it A, snd current to the battery or B, allow the battery to send current to the car?

    If I do a weekender I have my fridge plugged to the car and then run it on a battery and solar panels once I get to my destination.

    Would it be possible to as a resistor or "something" between the aux socket and battery to allow a trickle charge, that way I can trickle charge it all week then have a full battery that will last a couple of days and ditch the solar panels?

    Happy with what I got now but it would be handy if something like this would be possible.

  • #2
    What about just buying a battery charger and charging it up at home before you go.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

    Comment


    • Guest's Avatar
      Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I do that now but one of my fridges needs more power the the aux plug can put out so its either, re wire with a heavier gauge (would just do a dual battery setup if I had to) or it has to be hooked up to a battery in the back.

  • #3
    Honestly I'd just rewire the Aux and add a dual batt and be done with it
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

    Comment


    • #4
      .

      Comment


      • #5
        Another option is to use an inverter and a maintenance type battery charger. That way you could be trickle charging the battery while you drive. The only issue would be making sure the inverter and charger are suited, ie the chargers primary current not too high for the inverters output.

        Comment


        • Guest's Avatar
          Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by shooter3975" post=29918
          Another option is to use an inverter and a maintenance type battery charger. That way you could be trickle charging the battery while you drive. The only issue would be making sure the inverter and charger are suited, ie the chargers primary current not too high for the inverters output.
          This could be the go as I have both already, my main problem is I don't want extra wiring on this car/ I can't be arsed pulling apart a plastic fantastic car do wire one up. I've done some reading and found that you can get a diode that will only allow current to go one way, this would be another option as it would allow 3-4amps to pass through the battery, if it has enough to charge the battery I don't know but I think it ill be a good place to start.


          The starting battery would be automatically isolated from any aux battery as the wiring to it doesn't get I live feed when the ignition is off.

      • #6
        Originally posted by Spadger" post=29868
        I have a dual battery system in my ute but my Dailey (Honda CRV) has a single battery and an aux plug in the back.
        If I get a cig plug to pos/neg clips and attach that to a battery, will it A, snd current to the battery or B, allow the battery to send current to the car?
        If I do a weekender I have my fridge plugged to the car and then run it on a battery and solar panels once I get to my destination.
        Would it be possible to as a resistor or "something" between the aux socket and battery to allow a trickle charge, that way I can trickle charge it all week then have a full battery that will last a couple of days and ditch the solar panels?
        Happy with what I got now but it would be handy if something like this would be possible.
        First you will need a proper DEEP CYCLE BATTERY, DONT use any old car battery.
        Deepcycle batteries hold a lot more charge and last longer.

        You can by Manual and Automatic switches with a schottky diode, charge circuit and low voltage cut off already built into them see your local 4wd, camping or marine store or visit an Auto electrician.

        Do not just buy a battery isolator/selector switch its not what you are after..

        I would not attach a second battery directly to the cigarette lighter or outlet in the rear of the vehicle as it is designed to deliver X amount of current to a fridge or light etc..
        Yes it will charge the battery and feed power back to the car through it.
        charging the battery through it wont be a problem but if your main battery goes flat or is faulty when you try to start your car the second battery will deliver the current through the starter and the wiring may not handle it, at best it will blow fuses.

        There is nothing new about what you are trying to do and equipment is redily available at a reasonable price.

        Comment


        • #7
          Think I would just get a pro to rig up a dual battery system, deep cycle, gel or whatever batteries. That cranking battery for the starter motor has to be be fully charged when needed.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

          Comment


          • Spurious
            Spurious commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=29968
            Think I would just get a pro to rig up a dual battery system, deep cycle, gel or whatever batteries. That cranking battery for the starter motor has to be be fully charged when needed.
            I agree. The safest way is to get pro advice, or keep the circuits separate.

            A simple solar recharged deep cycle system to do all the accessories, and leave the cold cranking amps to what it does best.

        • #8
          I've had 2 dual battery systems in two GQ Patrols in the past and about to do one in a Colorado. No problems at all. I let the pros do it. Save yourself a lot of grief.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

          Comment


          • #9
            I would not recommend connecting the battery up straight to the 12v outlet for the reasons mentioned above. However, there is nothing to stop you using a DC to DC charger plugged into that outlet to charge the battery. I know a few people who do just that use a DC 12v charger to charge an Aux battery when in the move.

            However,make sure that the outlet is capable of supporting the current draw the charger is going to take. if you Google DC to DC 12v chargers you should get some more info. I think ctek, red arc and arb make a charger with a 12v (or 12 to 24v input).

            Its not the fastest way to charge a battery, but it does work. But again you need to make sure the outlet is rated to support the current draw of the charger.

            Comment


            • Guest's Avatar
              Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              And done wrong there could be 24 volts in it! I think having things all connected together, could also mean everything goes flat at the same time.

          • #10
            I'd get an auto sparkie to get it set up for you.
            that way if anything goes wrong your covered, im a sparkie and the day of cashie jobs is well over.

            putting a resistor in series with the circuit wont work as a trickle charge because a resistor will create a volt drop accross it, reducing your 12-13 volts down to (depending on the resistance value prob around 9-6 volts again depending on resistor value, which will not charge a battery or run anything rated for 12 volts. also resistors due to the nature of the beast will generate alot of heat which is wasted energy and if put in the wrong area could cause issues.

            your situation may be different but with my old ute what i did is run a separate circuit in the tray of my ute its got a tradie roof rack turned canopy.
            i used a solar panel i think it was around 120w mounted to the rack to trickle charge two batterys in parallel to preserve the 12 volts and increase available charge capacity.
            then ran the engl off that setup, solar would run the engl during the day and have a little left over for the batteries, then at night the batterys take over.
            worked pretty well,

            then i got a new hilux and have to start over

            Comment

            Working...
            X