Any advice on a DIY Reloading/Basic Gun maintenance bench setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice on a DIY Reloading/Basic Gun maintenance bench setup?

Well, Ive emptied the 5.8 x 8.8 garage and its getting sheeted and tiled. So Ill have a bit of a 'man cave' (geez I hate that term) to store, clean, reload and enjoy general 'time out' from the hoarde.

Ive seen some pretty trick bench setups on youtube, where guys have used what looks like shopfitting grade wall slats on their bench tops to accommodate various home made press plates etc. like on this particular vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGJ12sYoVM

Methods aside, what do you guys think of a bench set up like that?
    Does anyone have a link to a wicked reloading/maintenance page?
    Care to share your own so that I may usurp ideas?

Thanks guys
    Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	41374
    here is my setup,maybe give you some ideas

Comment

One of these is handy to have when it comes to Firearms Maintenance.

Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Take a look at the mini pallet racking shelving from Home Hardware
        Its solid as and available in galvenised and a powder coated black i think it was..
        I have used this for my reloading benches/shelving and it works excellent.
        Replace the mesh/sheet shelving surface with wood and you have a great modular reloading bench that is easy to move around
        The whole thing is modular.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/storage-cleaning/storage/garage-storage/heavy-duty-garage-shelving

Originally posted by DeadMeat" post=27969
      Well, Ive emptied the 5.8 x 8.8 garage and its getting sheeted and tiled. So Ill have a bit of a 'man cave' (geez I hate that term) to store, clean, reload and enjoy general 'time out' from the hoarde.

Ive seen some pretty trick bench setups on youtube, where guys have used what looks like shopfitting grade wall slats on their bench tops to accommodate various home made press plates etc. like on this particular vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGJ12sYoVM

Methods aside, what do you guys think of a bench set up like that?
      Does anyone have a link to a wicked reloading/maintenance page?
      Care to share your own so that I may usurp ideas?

Thanks guys
      The bloke definitely has a nice setup which works for him and gives him the ability to easily move the press anywhere along his bench. It wouldn't be difficult to copy something similar as shown in the video. Most of the gear could easily be bought off the shelf and with the right tools installed just as easy. The only thing I would probably do different is the press mounting plate to try and reduce the flexing when pressing (which I noticed when he pressed the bullets in). That has given me some ideas as that setup would be great for smaller benches (as I have)... Thanks for the post.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        If he cut the mounting block so it extends to the front of the press for support he would get no flexing.

Make sure you have lots of light.
      Need to see well all the little things when reloading.
      I have the normal shed light in the middle of the ceiling - one of those spiral fluoro globe thingies thats equivalent to 130 watt globe, plus a twin flouro tube over the bench and then a desk lamp on a flexible arm plus 2 little led lights on clamps which are easy to move around and shine where I need them.

Comment

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Guff" post=28621
          Another 650 emerges, nice solid little bench there with shelving under neath..
          Are you using the server cabinet as a lockup for gear?

To make a nice little bench like the one here you will be up for at least $200-300 in materials and more once you include painting, not including the labor to make it.

You could look here has some good pics of loading benches
        http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/reloading/895-lets-see-your-reloading-bench
        Calling me sir is like putting an elevator in an outhouse. It don't belong

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          There was one on the old Forum where the dude had built all his reloading gear into a "built in" wardrobe.
          A very neat set up & completely hidden when the doors were closed. It really got me think'n.
          I do all my loading out in the shed on the same bench I Brew Beer, rebuild engines, weld shit up & generally fart about on. The idea of a dedicated loading bench/cupboard in the house would be a godsend.................Now, how to get rid of these kids???....

Mick.
      Working...
      X