Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea container into shed

G'day,

My shed is in the pipeline now. I am getting a 18m x 9m.

Now, a question for any tilt tray truck operators or anyone for that matter....

Is it possible to back a tilt tray truck up to the roller door of a shed and offload the sea container through the roller door? How much "tilt" on the tray is required to tip a container off?

I would prefer to put the container inside the shed after the shed is built. Also, because the slab gets poured once the shed is constructed.

If I can't get it through the boor I will have to get a small pad for the container, then build the shed around it and then pour the rest of the slab.

Cheers

Pusser

I would slab it put 40 ft'er on the slab after the slab has had a few weeks to go hard. Then build the shed around the 40 ft'er then pour the slab for the rest of the shed.

That's the way I would do it.

Comment

Construction with after thoughts I reckons.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        When we got new or had to get rid of large factory plants and equipment we used to push em around inside and out on skids or wood to get it to an area where we can use forklifts or cranes etc..
        You can also use hard wood skids etc..
        Push the container in with a vehicle, or lever it in.
        Dyno Bolt a plate with hook to the end of your shed and winch it in.
        Once inside the shed/garage you use jacks or levers to lift the container a bit to remove the wood or skids..
        containers are not that heavy when empty about 2300kg

Check your local equipment hire mob..

Its amazing how quickly and far you can move a few tone of plant equipment an inch ant a time using brute force and leverage..

So if you are going to store handguns in this container are you going to bolt it to the floor..

Some purty fancy gear there Decoy. I was gunna suggest a couple of 3m scaffold poles, a large bar, sledge hammer an' some elbow grease. But with them thar rollers he would need less grease.

The Pusser must be tryin' to keep up with Jethro. If brains was lard, Jethro wouldn't be able ter grease a pan.

Comment

You can get a side lift container truck which will put the container down level makine fitting rollers under it easier. As decoy has said it's fairly simple to shift a container with some roller units under each corner, especially if you have a vehicle to push it and a come-a-long (cable winch or tirfor) I've moved a few 40' refrigerated containers this way through tight access workshops. Some lengths of 40NB heavy pipe work almost as well.

Just make sure your concrete is well hard 'cause you don't want two dirty great trenches in your new slab.

Steve

Comment

IF I was building a new shed and intended a container to be inside I would lay two lengths of railway track embedded in the concrete at floor level.
          You can slide things around on it . makes a good all round earth point for welding (just need one lead) , jack heavy crap on it , and if your container is up off the floor thers a heap of storage under it for long stuff that`s an other wise pain to store on top in the dirt and dust , just slide in from the end.
          I would put it close enough o one wall that there can be walk in shelving all the way down one side of the shed .
          A pull along winch point at the furthest inside point is a good idea too.
          Leverage is the way to go.
          I shifted a few transportable houses one time back when we used to lift them straight into place with four blitz cranes and bearers underneath.
          Watch all the windows and doors pop when one driver gets out of sinc with the cranes
          [center]
          Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• digger
            digger commented
            Editing a comment
            A couple of pallet trolleys and some 100 x 100 timbers should enable you to position the shipping container.

Paul

A few lengths of 50mm water pipe, as rollers and you will push it around easily.

Used the same principle to move a whole house.

Comment

Can the container be put straight onto the slab or does there need to be a small gap between them both so air can flow around it to prevent condensation and rust?

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by The Pusser" post=23731
              Can the container be put straight onto the slab or does there need to be a small gap between them both so air can flow around it to prevent condensation and rust?
              Just my opinion but I'd be putting some shims or packers under the corners and a few other spots to help level it out perfectly, (maybe with a 5mm/m fall toward the door if you ever want to hose it out) then grout all the way around the base to keep dirt and pests out.

Steve

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by The Pusser" post=23731
              You can get it off the ground if you want.

Another way is put some plastic sheet down on the slab, in each corner and place a bag of ready mix Concrete down and gently lower the container down on it.

Hire a forklift. It will lift the container and push it, especially if you have pipe rollers. Skates work well. I've seen one give out after a 50mtr journey by a container fully laden with machinery. Empty will be easy once on the slab.

Comment

Well, the sea container is in. A positrack bobcat was very handy with a set of pallet forks. Skull dragged it in and then we put it onto four of those race car wheel skates and moved it into position. Easy. Used a pallet jack to remove them and then a final shunt with the bobcat into position.

Now, I intend to put a steel bulkhead inside the container and a strong door.

Has anyone here ever designed, built or know of anything similar to this idea?

Cheers lads. Pusser loves you.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Wheres the pics??

The evolution.
              Attached Files

Comment

• several
                several commented
                Editing a comment
                Seems like it was all to easy in the end.
            Working...
            X