Show us your Fire Pit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show us your Fire Pit!

Over the years I gone through number of cheap, short lived fire pits/braziers/chimineas (most have rusted). Last week I took the kids for a camping trip to my dads farm and found most of the makings of my new pit in the scrub at the side of the road.

The main components are an old rusted tractor split rim, a plough disk and old bent trailer rim I had lying about.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2772_2017-07-15.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	275215

The trailer rim has become the base with the tractor rim on top.

Name:	IMAG2773_2017-07-15.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	713.2 KB
ID:	275216

The disk was just the right size to fit in the split rim and fill up the holes.

Name:	IMAG2774.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	712.9 KB
ID:	275217

The finished product!

Name:	IMAG2771_2017-07-15.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	664.8 KB
ID:	275214.

Considering this has been lying about for 70 odd years and has gone through a number of scrub fires I guess it may last for a bit! I even got the wife on board with the reduce/reuse/recycle aspect of the product! Now I'm waiting for the rain to clear to fire it up. (picture is operation to follow!)

How about showing us what your using!

Cheers!

Fire pit and Lamb on the spit
    So good Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2159.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	667.3 KB
ID:	275246 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2158.JPG
Size:	710.2 KB
ID:	275247
    Go hard or Go home.

Comment

• Skoshi Tiger
      Skoshi Tiger commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking very good!

• catman
      catman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey folks,
      what sorta motor is running there?Ours seem to burn out on 28kg porkies
      cheers catman an the girl

• catman
      catman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey mate whats the motor?
      cheers catman

Name:	IMG_0679.JPG
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	275255
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Name:	IMG_9205.JPG
Size:	906.4 KB
ID:	275257

Comment

• Pilch303
        Pilch303 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is my fire pit that the Mrs for me for Christmas. My mate makes them when he is short of cash... Click image for larger version

Name:	20170422_185154.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	275259 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170421_174340.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	275260

Check this out. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1348.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	275474
      Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

Originally posted by Skoshi Tiger" post=265321
        Over the years I gone through number of cheap, short lived fire pits/braziers/chimineas (most have rusted). Last week I took the kids for a camping trip to my dads farm and found most of the makings of my new pit in the scrub at the side of the road.

The main components are an old rusted tractor split rim, a plough disk and old bent trailer rim I had lying about.

The trailer rim has become the base with the tractor rim on top.

The disk was just the right size to fit in the split rim and fill up the holes.

The finished product!

Considering this has been lying about for 70 odd years and has gone through a number of scrub fires I guess it may last for a bit! I even got the wife on board with the reduce/reuse/recycle aspect of the product! Now I'm waiting for the rain to clear to fire it up. (picture is operation to follow!)

How about showing us what your using!

Cheers!

You know what? A couple more split rims and another plough disc for a lid, plus a few grill racks in between each rim, and you have the makings of a multi tier smoker that works as a heater when you want it to.
        Attached Files
        Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

This is mine, used to be a large industrial air tank. 8mm thick steel so it won't rust away anytime soon. Also makes it very hard to steal as it weighs a lot.

Comment

Name:	IMAG2793_2017-07-22.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	275585
            Finally managed to get the pit into action. Works a charm!

Comment

• col
              col commented
              Editing a comment
              Fellas FWIW I knocked this up one morning. Works really well especially when the disks warm up.

Col

Name:	IMG_20160430_134836_302.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	275615 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160430_134929_838.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	275616

The petals are just elements of a larger project.
            Ask Henry Gibson he knows these things :lol:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPfrQl_VeA&index=24&list=PLwKgJpmMviVIee2iw6IzCCX8BxOt3WUZC
            [center]
            Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• Send-it
              Send-it commented
              Editing a comment
              don't paint it.
              just get the bugger glowing.

Name:	FirePitc_2017-07-29.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	275837

Not mine. Belongs to … er … whatever it is you call your girlfriend’s daughter’s boyfriend. I guess in this day and age that’s near enough to son-in-law.

Works okay, although it doesn’t look as if he’s used it much this winter.

He’s probably waiting for me to get well enough to round him up another load of firewood.

No trees were harmed in the production of this post, but some electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Comment

• 17Hornet
              17Hornet commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Windrider" post=265871
              LOL, I was waiting for one of these to pop up.

I made 2x of these, 1x for me and 1x for my mate.

I used 6x drums, 2 on top like these in the pic and another inverted for the base, a piece of mesh between the bottom 2 drums and bolted together.
              The top two were joined by heat shrinking a steel band around the edges, cant get them apart now.

Once hot they are BLOODY HOT, and near impossible to get near, takes all night to cool down, I have not used them since the kids
              arrived as I was worried they would potentially fall upon them with their hands - would not forgive myself.
              But now I will make a mesh fence to drop around mine (thanks for the idea Fish).

Will have some pics soon as done.

My mates was pinched by his step kids after the separation (12 month marriage) and sold for scrap metal he was told !
              Attached Files

Funny you lot should mention kids and getting burned etc.

This thought occurred to me years ago and was one of the main concerns regarding "POT BELLIED" stoves as they were called.
            The one the child bride and I had in our first home would run so hot you could see the flames inside the flue.
            I installed a 20 MM sheet of concrete building material spaced off the wall by 25 mm just to ventilate >reflect some heat > and set up some convection in the room > and protect the wall.
            The sheet went off like a shotgun one night and scared crap out of every one ::expansion was too much for it and it cracked straight up the center
            True story: White mallee stumps will create that much heat o will sugar wood but it soots up the flue some thing terrible.
            Never learned that trick when I sat for my boiler ticket either

No kids were ever injured perhaps because we only had one and she was pretty sensible as well as having a protective parent that warned of those things any way.
            Tile fires are a much better option with the outside skin to protect against getting fried.

Bare metal stoves and piss ups together always made me nervous but its ok if you stay low and close to the ground when close to any fire .
            If you let go of the ground you wont fall off either :S

Continue :

NF
            [center]
            Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

When I was about four or five I was at my Nana's house at Christmas and decided to see what was cooking on the Meta stove by grabbing the edge of the stove and lifting my self up for a squiz on my finger tips!

Man did I yip! Spent the rest of the Christmas with butter on my fingers and wrapped in bandages! Only ever did it once!!

Comment

Digging up an old thread...

Pretty nice bit of work... Would love one!

Name:	BB1af4Pn.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	317669

Name:	BB1af8UP.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	317670
                "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Name:	20201022_182436.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	317682 My lil bro bought my wife and I a house warming present when we got married.
                  cool thread by the way.
                  Sparta.
                  Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Old fire pit:

Name:	104.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	317699

New fire pit - (The cuts are to hang a spit):

Name:	537.JPG
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	317701

Name:	P1010983.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	317700

And of course - The dunny fire pit

Name:	302.JPG
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	317702

Comment

• Skoshi Tiger
                      Skoshi Tiger commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Fantastic! Perfect for a shower on a cold winters night!
                  Working...
                  X