Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 suzuki sierra vibration

Gday,
    I have a soft top sierra with 1.3 motor. At lower speeds the whole car vibrates really bad. I have checked the uni joints and they are solid as a rock, what else might it be?
    thanks alot
    T

Hope the wheel nuts are done up before it all goes pear shaped.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Yeah they are all tight

Comment

you haven't left the front hubs locked all the time have you? my mrs had a sierra and the previous BF had forgotten to tell her she needed to unlock the front hubs when she left the sand and put it into 2wd needless to say the front diff was buggered......traded it in on an 80 series TD

steve

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I would check the uni's again. I had a van which would vibrate at certain speeds, but if I dropped off the throttle and back on again it would come good for a while, even had the mechanic have a quick look, and thought they were ok. A few days later the tail shaft fell off from a busted uni. Bloody ruckus for a few seconds. NBT

Let's see, could be out of balance tyres, super aggressive mud tyres, out of balance tail shaft , wheel bearings, tyre misalignment camber or toe, was the motor rebuilt recently? You'd be surprised how many motors I do that a customer doesn't want balanced then conplains about vibrations etc,

Those are the normal problems acciosiated with vibrations

Byron

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Pyrod & verminator both picked up on the first thing I would look for (being A Sierra nut from way back)

The Uni's may be fine but a Tail Shaft that has been put back together at the slip joint (Spline) needs to be aligned so both Yolks are in line with each other, otherwise it causes an imbalance.

The other thing to look for is a chunk of mud or a rock stuck on the inside of a rim.
          This tends to manifest itself at 80K's plus though.

Big wheels & muddies on a zuke, no problem. They just need be in balance.

Edit:-
          Oh, one other thing.
          Do the front wheels both look like they are standing perfectly upright?
          If you get water/mud in the kingpins they can collapse .............Not good but a cheap fix if you know what you are doing (about 20 bucks per bearing)

I don't care what the nay sayers come out with. The main reason these issues come up sometimes with a Zuke is because they spend much of their time in the scrub getting punched, head first thru stuff the typical Toyota driver tries to avoid! )

The very same boghole that looks like trouble to a big heavy piece of crap just screams "Yah, that looks like fun" to a zuke!
          Big set of muddies, difflocks & that little motor do'n 8,000rpm...........mud & crap fly'n 30 feet in the air.................damn I miss it.

Mick.

Mate- head over to Auszookers

www.auszookers.com.au

these fellas live and breathe zooks- and will have your zook sorted in no time at all.

stephen
        all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

My sierra had the same thing, ended up being the uni in the jack shaft.

Also if you have bigger than standard tyres check your wheel bearings. My fronts went after i put my 31s on.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            as a previous mechanic, Uni's must be checked with the tail/drive shaft out of the car. Once seized they can squawk, whine, grumble. I also agree with alignment if they were apart, eg yoke to yoke. Vibrations in any rate need to be isolated. Water pumps can cause vibration, pulleys. It is just the matter of driving the car and working out. I use to be fairly good at diagnosing vibrations on test drives. These test drives were often free. Then recommending a course of action. all the best

Firstly, thanks for everyones input. The tyres a brand new, all 4 of them and are just Toyo All terrains, The front wheels look upright. The vibration is normally in the second gear range and when holding the clutch in, it still vibrates its a low deep vibration that would get a female excited if she was sitting on the floor :P It feels like possibly a uni joint and I will check the hubs arent locked in, (shit I never knew there were locks on them, thought it might have been all automatic locking and unlocking hubs).

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Hubs are in the FREE position, so thats that sorted.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Terry36887" post=18647
            The vibration is normally in the second gear range and when holding the clutch in, it still vibrates its a low deep vibration .
            Definately in the drive line!

Check that the Yolks are in line with each other.
            Much wear in the slip joint?
            Tripple check those Uni's (Both front & rear shafts if the hubs are locked or permanant)
            Diff pinion nut? (does the diff clunk when getting on & off the throttle)
            Prop Shaft between Gear Box & Transfer.

Mick.

This is from when i had the same issue. Heres a little vid i took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrFn3NsfQU

Comment

Working...
          X