is there a way of lessening the noise of a diesel engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a way of lessening the noise of a diesel engine

Hi Guys... I find that my diesel rodeo is a bit loud and cant idle around the pine forests on the property...

and suggestion on how to quieten the engine abit if at all

cheers

Taz

Many 'tack on' mufflers are available if that is the problem. If it is general running noise, then short of a new engine, you are not going to have much joy. Even then, diesel engines of the era are generally "diesel noisy."

Comment

I doubt it --short of insulation panels them selves Firewall > bonnet> and some under-guard bitumen sprays -- diesel engine rattle is just that -- you can muffle exhausts easy enough with expansion boxes and so on but diesel rattle I doubt it.
      I can be wrong though.
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz" post=16201
        Hi Guys... I find that my diesel rodeo is a bit loud and cant idle around the pine forests on the property...

cheers

Taz
        Turn it off.
        I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• Maverick
          Maverick commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=16206

cheers

Taz
          Turn it off.

************************************************** *********************

:lol: :lol: :lol:

************************************************** **********************

Guest commented
          Editing a comment

cheers

Taz
          Turn it off.
          But then the spotlight will flatten the battery when I'm out deer hunting

:/

• findingtime
          findingtime commented
          Editing a comment

cheers

Taz
          Turn it off.

What ! I suppose he's going to push his vehicle around the Pine Forrest.

And as far as spot lighting goes.... perfectly legal in QLD , one day you Victorians will wake up .

Taz

How old is the Rodeo ??? Getting a tappet job may help take some of the noise away, it certainly had an effect on my Patrol.

Buy an Electric Vehicle and / or don't go deer hunting ......

Simple solution though ......Walk.

Comment

thanks to those for the real replys....guess this forum will head down the same slope as the last when a real question is asked....

Comment

• Pitty
            Pitty commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Taz" post=16224
            thanks to those for the real replys....guess this forum will head down the same slope as the last when a real question is asked....
            I would think that the vintage of your Rodeo, is its down fall. My mates new Colorado's injector noise is way loader than my 2011 Hilux.
            There are a few options though. Body deadener on both sides of your guards, acoustic blanket may help as well.

Mark

A the others have said its a diesel thing, my 2007 BT-50 sounds like a sewing machine until she warms up and then it quietens down - I know of some who put 2 Stroke Synthetic Oil in their diesel fuel (a very small amount) and it quietens them down a bit and actually gives them a bit more HP) I don't do it as I'm worried it will upset some of the sensors and I don't need a expensive bill.

Maybe do a bit of a search around the net and see what others are doing to help with the noise.

Honestly though it doesn't seem to worry most things I've spotlighted - especially on farms where diesel noise is common, could be different in the SF's I guess?

Good luck and don't take any notice of the Stirrers - they were only having a bit of light hearted fun.

Cheers
          Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Diesel Engine Rattle or "knock" is a feature of diesel engines and is related to design and injector timing.
            There are products that assure you they can Purge injectors or clean them up but in the real world if you mess with the timing or fuel air mix ratio or pump back pressure on some pumps you will either mess with the efficient burning of your fuel and possibly wash rings out / destroys pistons eventually / dilutes the lube oil and generally not good.
            Some of the older Rail injector pumps / particularly old Mercs sounded like they had a bloke in there with a hammer trying to get out.
            354 Jerkins were the same advance them too far and get your ear muffs out /scary sound.
            Not much can be done other than muffling or sound barriers of some sort --anything else will most likely do more harm than good
            [center]
            Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              If you could be bothered with the hassle then sound reduction products like resomat or dynamat work reasonably well at noise reduction.

Depending on the year of your Rodeo a 200:1 mix of diesel and 2 stroke oil in the tank may quieten down injector rattle. Not going to delve into the pro's and con's of it here, there are literally hundreds of pages of discussion online about it, but I've been running it for a few years now in my 4JB1 and it has made a difference on mine.

DO NOT do it if you have a newer higher pressure common rail diesel.
            Praemonitus praemunitus

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              may sound stupid , and i presume your talking noise from exhaust not the normal diesel motor rattle sound ? and idea i have had , but not put into practice as yet comes from my Skiboat - when its idoling in the water the pipes are under water level - so all you hear is a gurgle sound whilst idoling ... when away and skiing you have the full sound of a worked 350chev with no exhaust ..

also seen this on a worksite once , think it was a petrochemical plant - all forklifts had there exhausts going into a large steel container full of water - for flame proof protection i guess - but this also made almost no noise except mechanical noise of moving parts

i was going to try this on my diesel pump at our creek - but have not had a chance as yet - so i guess what i am saying maybe a mod - remove muffler , make a pipe going into a drum of water ( under water level ) and another pipe coming out to atmosphere

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Try walking away from it and see how far you can hear it for, 50 metres or so? Maybe the deer can't hear it at night!

• Druid 66
              Druid66 commented
              Editing a comment
              I use an additive called Deisel Power which certainly quietens down my Land Rover a lot - Don`t feel much difference in power but it certainly smokes less up hills and definitely gives me better fuel economy.

BTW It comes in a handy integral measuring-bottle too which is nice.

200:1 mix of 2 Stroke - Definitely works well on silencing your injectors and pump.

'Castrol 2T' is mineral based, and as its used in motorcycles it mixes very well in diesel. JSAO FC is used in vehicles equipped with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)

DO NOT use Synthetic, as it doesnt mix well, gums up your tank and lines etc. (same goes for Outboard Motor oil, it gums up)

Ive used Castrol 2T on 6 vehicles now, and the difference is amazing! Just last night I rocked up to a mates block of flats and he couldnt even hear I was there, usually he can tall Im there as the rattle tattle of a 25 year old mitsubishi announces its presence with his flyscreen door making a racket!

Comment

• NoFerals
              NoFerals commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting but why and how does it work ?.
              I know blokes used to add 100 to 1 petrol to mack motors to keep them clean (contractors too not cowboys) , Cowboys did it with GMs to make them a bit more go eey , but too much over heats the injector tips and the mucknics can see it too >tips go blue . So don`t think they cant tell cos they can.
              Still interesting the why additives quieten injector rattle and why don`t the manufacturers do it , or is it too much mucking around to be bothered.
              [
              quote="Tinker" post=16720]200:1 mix of 2 Stroke - Definitely works well on silencing your injectors and pump.

'Castrol 2T' is mineral based, and as its used in motorcycles it mixes very well in diesel. JSAO FC is used in vehicles equipped with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)

DO NOT use Synthetic, as it doesnt mix well, gums up your tank and lines etc. (same goes for Outboard Motor oil, it gums up)

Ive used Castrol 2T on 6 vehicles now, and the difference is amazing! Just last night I rocked up to a mates block of flats and he couldnt even hear I was there, usually he can tall Im there as the rattle tattle of a 25 year old mitsubishi announces its presence with his flyscreen door making a racket![/quote]

actually have put in 200ml of 2 stroke oil and after 150km unless it is wishful thinking sounds a little quieter and will also find out what a tappet job costs....

Comment

It's an engine not a motor.

Comment

I would say most forestry workers are often buzzing around there in their diesel vehicles so they can be a disguise . Maybe not at night thou . My 2.7 on gas idling or traveling at low revs is quiet as a mouse .we usually catch everything by surprise .

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just a thought, but have you actually measured how loud it is? You can get a cheap sound pressure meter off Ebay for $30 now, and that will help you with some objective goals, since you can calculate how far the sound will travel before it's no longer audible.

Regards
                  David

I used to own an old 1980s Mercedes Benz diesel saloon (190E 2.5 - lovely car)... the amount of insulation panelling below the engine and underneath the bonnet was like nothing I'd ever seen before. Still made a bit of noise (old 5-cylinder sounded like a tractor at times) but much, much quieter than less "engineered" diesel vehicles of the era.

Assuming the noise isn't a mechanical issue but simply a diesel being a diesel, you could fit some sound absorbant paneling under the bonnet and under the sump guard, etc.

Cheers, Ben.

Comment

• ARROW
                  ARROW commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi
                  Maybe if you are only idling along, throw some thick blanks over the hood and guards to quieten the motor.
                  just idea.
                  Ross

I've got a 2.8 rodeo and the engine is noisey as but the roos and foxes don't seem to care any more than they do when I shine the light on them from the petrol suzuki or old farm ute.

Comment

Working...
                X