Model engineering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model engineering

OK, just came back from our local annual show, where they always have a historical machinery display.
    This year there is a display of working model engines, and chatting to one of the blokes he shows me ... a ... miniature spark plug he made himself

Seeing how impressed I obviously looked, he then brought out a working steam engine, made of glass
    If guns cause crime, then all mine are faulty - Ted Nugent

Woah! That's some pretty full on stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwich-biker" post=9028
      OK, just came back from our local annual show, where they always have a historical machinery display.
      This year there is a display of working model engines, and chatting to one of the blokes he shows me ... a ... miniature spark plug he made himself

Seeing how impressed I obviously looked, he then brought out a working steam engine, made of glass
      Glass or acrylic interesting indeed --- home made spark plugs yes --do you remember or have ever seen the ones we used to have that you pulled to bits to clean ? --- quite common once and bulky too.

Edit : do a google on them they make models from acylic -- I find it interesting as I am a qualified (long time ago tho) boiler attendant and always liked steam diven gear -- great little brass working ones were around too when I was a kid.
      The poor quality over exposed pic is a steam engine in a whale boat restored --immaculately polished wood work -- a work of art
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• Dingo745
        Dingo745 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by NoFerals" post=9338
        Originally posted by Greenwich-biker" post=9028

Glass or acrylic interesting indeed --- home made spark plugs yes --do you remember or have ever seen the ones we used to have that you pulled to bits to clean ? --- quite common once and bulky too.
        My old man was keen model engineer who made numerous engines, steam trains, and probably his most impressive was a 1/4 scale Bentley 9 cylinder radial rotary aircraft engine. He made every part of that engine except for the ignition points. He too made his own spark plugs, as "they cost too much to buy".

Click image for larger version

Name:	bentleyBR2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	25965

Have a look around the web for model railway engines built to scale too there`s some really very detailed and good work by enthusiasts.
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• Greenwich-biker
        Greenwich-biker commented
        Editing a comment
        He said he tried glass to see if it was possible. He cast the cylinder and frame in a kiln, larger holes were cast in, smaller holes drilled with diamond drills. The piston is made of Teflon however. The only snag is that there can be no glass on glass bearing surfaces.

Miniature working steam trains is a passion that I hope to pressue when i get a little older.
      Where we live is a huge miniature railway with some real fine examples of working steam trains.

Plus there is the perk of owning and wearing a train drivers hat ,which is nice

JH

Comment

• NoFerals
        NoFerals commented
        Editing a comment
        One has to admit aside from shooting there`s some pretty smart skillful people on the forum and with interests in some very fine engineering skills as well.
        Always admired the fine art produced by Glass Blowers -- I saw some at Kryal Castle near Ballarat years back and it was top stuff.

Another great find there Ben --Always have lot of admiration for those who can create such fine things in miniature even more so when we think of the old craftsmen who did it all by hand with tools considered pretty basic alongside todays` automated equipment.
      Keep em coming people theres scope for a topic of interest here for many as its similar to fine rifles and extremes of accuracy --it all requires more than your average bears skill Boo Boo.

PS : the darker text is a major improvement too
      [center]

Comment

As a lead-in to this modelling project

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

And then the model

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Tomlinson.htm

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Great topic guys.
          For many yrs I have pondered the idea of making myself a Model Steam Engine but never really got started on it.

A little desktop unit with an alcohol burner or tea candle to heat the boiler.

Hmmm .
          Might have to start researching this as part of the bucket list!

Dingo.
          Your o'l boy is a very tallented man
          Impressive stuff!

Mick.

There was a bloke in Sydney years ago who built a T Class NSWGR locomotive that ran on live steam and that fitted in a normal match box.
        His name has slipped the memory but I also remember that he made miniature roller chains that were put in or alongside the spinal column of sufferers from permanent curvature of the spine. A ratchet mechanism, that he also built, was used to pull the spine straight then the chain was locked off.
        Of course the person then suffered from permanent straightness of the spine and couldn't bend over but it was an improvement.

No doubt things have progressed since those days.

I have some photos of models made by the late Fred Schaefer who was also a gun designer of some brilliance.

Comment

I went on a search to find anything that I have on the above post but no luck, however I did come across this NN class loco

Comment

• El-Skippo
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            There's plenty of home made engines ( scale ) like a V8 and a Ferrari engine etc on the Tube one time I did stumble upone a scale hand made spitfire and P51 with hand made engines.

There are plenty of smart cookies around.
        Working...
        X