Complex problems and simple solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complex problems and simple solutions

Not long ago the range had 15 benches all spaced 1500mm apart, with a bit of calculation and some elbow grease we opened the range up to 20 benches. While we were at it we made all new concrete bench-tops and aligned all of the target frames so now from the 50 to the 200 all you need is a straight elevation adjustment. The extra benches meant we could accomodate more for State and National shoots which opened these comps up to just a few more than previous and meant more women and juniors could have a crack if they wanted. We just had room.

Then Covid hit, the shutdown hit us as much as anyone else I guess from a financial perspective, all of a sudden all shoots were off.

When we could re-open we had all the legislation and recommendations to understand, I know right! we all bloody know! So we kept up to date and painted our crosses on the bloody concrete, kept areas in line wit the 4m2 law and carried on....but because our benches were now 1200 apart we were restricted to every second bench. We could only accomodate 10 shooters at a time. We have a lot of members so to help get everyone a shot we restricted the shooting time to one hour (plenty for most) but that still meant only 10 shooters per hour. Combine this with relaxed attendance requirements the range was really low on numbers, no one wanted to wait basically, and why would you with attendances no issue?

We needed all 20 benches open again to get back to regular numbers, so heres what I did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6859.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	317428

Name:	IMG_6858.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	317429

They are clear, they roll up out of the way and can actually cope with strong wind pretty well. They dont stop noise or percussion but they do the job required.

3 weeks in and we are almost back to normal.

Use to be able to win ‘em at the shootin’ gallery at the fair...

Name:	29400BE5-2003-47B3-97B5-AACC4240977C.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	317431

Seriously though mate. Good effort you blokes have got a club to run...

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

G'day 'danlander', it's me again. Not to rain of your parade or nuttin' but your 'natty' little simple solution has had me thinkin'.... (Shit that could be dangerous!)

I was wondering if clear Corflute solid panels that could be hung from your frames when needed might be a better option... Considering the screens have to be wiped down clean regularly.

Just thinking of the 'Stuffer'.
      "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• danandria
        danandria commented
        Editing a comment
        Clear corflute is a good idea but, these only come down when required so after we have 10 shooters in place we drop each blind as another shows up. They haven't needed a clean yet as most shooters have just rolled them up when they finished. We like being able to roll them away when not needed.

My train of thought was mate..,

You could get two dividing barriers out of one 2.4 x 1.2 sheet of corflute. Punch two appropriate placed eyelets in each divider so the shooter or range officer could hang one when needed to the two appropriate hooks on your top plates. When a new shooter is positioned, a new cleaned dividing sheet is hung and the previous one wiped clean and put away by either the shooter or range officer.... Kinda like hanging up corflute targets.

To me without regular wipe downs with anti bacterial wipes, it’s kinda defeating the purpose... Especially knowing a large percentage of ‘range hounds’ are ‘window lickers’.

Comment

How long is this COVID bullshit insanity going to go on?
        Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

Until we are all forced to take a vaccine that wont protect you more than until a new mutation.. about 12 months... like the Flu jab.

Keeps my wife employed.

Mind you cases of Flu are very very low this year, thanks to Wu Flu.
          The TRUTH is out there,
          the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
          We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
          That's why he is made of Chocolate.

Comment

Various vaccines have been around since the Industrial revolution...

The first being around nigh on 100 years in .303 Then came the 7.62 in the 50’s to be superseded with the ‘user/ friendly’ 5.56.... There are rumours it could be mutating to the 6.5 ‘Fagmore’.

Geezus ‘Hornet’... Sounds like you are advocating our only way out are with the more ‘one off’ permanent ones like mentioned above.

Comment

LOL,

Thought you were fishing ?
              The TRUTH is out there,

Comment

In Broken Bay and here...

Comment

Yeah, but have you caught anything with fins and gill's yet ?

I have a fishing post to go up soon.
                  The TRUTH is out there,

Comment

It has better be a good one....

Yes, Bream mostly and mostly ‘throw backs’. We are also a rod down. After juggling three rods between two of us and having a ‘fighter’ on each of our rods in hand... Watched in despair as my good 6 foot rod and reel got yanked out of where it was wedged and disappear into the depths, further a field starboard side.

Comment

My old stomping grounds was Broken Bay and got my biggest of many species in there in my early years

The Flint and Steel drop off attracts many diff ocean species and on the top of the tide, cubing pillie pieces brings them up
                      Got a few rare ones like a Spotted Mackeral of around 5KG and some good dewies and kings.
                      Sometimes it looked like a parking lot of boats on a Saturday but the burley cubes and feeding baits down the trail would bring the fish to my boat every time

Had some adventures in my little Haines in those parts including fishing Broken Bay Wide about 10NM East of Box head
                      One day we rounded the box and the swell was about 4m or more, had to do the turn and surf one before getting on it's back to get back around the corner to the lee.

Another day an early morning fog out hit and a huge shark circled us, was in my mates bigger 18 footer before GPS.
                      Came back in on a compass heading from out wide and still couldn't see till we heard surfers wooping.
                      We had got down south near Long reef or somewhere and just made it back with the fuel.

Hope you hook a nice kilo one.

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post
                        It has better be a good one....

Yes, Bream mostly and mostly ‘throw backs’. We are also a rod down. After juggling three rods between two of us and having a ‘fighter’ on each of our rods in hand... Watched in despair as my good 6 foot rod and reel got yanked out of where it was wedged and disappear into the depths, further a field starboard side.

No doubt the disappearing rod was hooked onto an old lost anchor.......

The TRUTH is out there,

Comment

Originally posted by 17Hornet View Post

No doubt the disappearing rod was hooked onto an old lost anchor.......
                          Or a drop bear grabbed it lol
                          Go hard or Go home.

Comment

‘Drop Bears’ with scales eh...? Sounds like an amphibious Pangolin.

Seems we are getting back on topic.

Comment

Working...
                            X