Northern Territory graziers welcome Indonesian plan to buy 1 million hectares of farmland.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Territory graziers welcome Indonesian plan to buy 1 million hectares of farmland.

Cattlemen, is this idea a good or bad one ???

Thanks.

[url=http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-12/nt-graziers-welcome-indonesian-farmland-buy-up/4953800]Northern Territory graziers welcome Indonesian plan to buy 1 million hectares of farmland
    Updated Thu 12 Sep 2013, 1:37pm AEST

Click image for larger version

Name:	cattle.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	19341
    Cattle exporters must provide proof of pregnancy status Photo: Some struggling cattle producers in northern Australia may sell to the Indonesian government. (Carmen Brown)

Northern Territory cattle producers say Indonesia's decision to buy farmland in northern Australia could come as a lifeline to the industry recovering from live export suspension.

Indonesia's government has approved a plan to buy 1 million hectares of cattle farmland in the north to secure cheaper imports.

Indonesia wants to be self-sufficient in food production but does not have the land for breeding cattle locally.

Under the plan, the cattle would be bred in Australia and transported to local feedlots.

The NT Cattlemen's Association says producers in the Territory are not in a position to argue with the proposal and some struggling producers may benefit.

Spokesman Luke Bowen says it is a good opportunity for the region.

"I think we have to be very open-minded about foreign investment," he said.

"It's been a part of the landscape ... our history has shown us it's been good for northern Australia ... infrastructure, it stays behind."
    What do you think of the proposal? Should Australia sell 1 million hectares of cattle farmland to Indonesia?

The Territory's cattle industry is still recovering from the former Labor government's suspension of live exports for a month in 2011 because of animal welfare concerns.

The association's former president Rohan Sullivan says some stations have been unable to sell on the Australian market and may want to sell to Indonesia.

The proposed cattle station - four times the size of the ACT - could produce around 5 per cent of the export market.

Producers say that is not enough to threaten the local industry.

Indonesia's state enterprises minister, Dahlan Iskan, told local journalists the proposition would be a cheaper way to supply beef to the country.

"Breeding cattle in Australia is cheaper, [but] feedlots in Indonesia are three times cheaper [than Australia]," Mr Iskan said.

The land sale will need to be approved by Australia's Foreign Investment Review Board once an appropriate piece of land is found.

Sounds like a bit like lettin' the 'coons an' critters have the key to Granny's pantry to me.

The real winners would be's a few greedy Land owners, Bankers and Government men. Who would only take the loot and settle in Beverly Hills, which is along ways from wheres all that kerfuffle would've started.

I also thinks ya better ask the Army fellas what they be reckoning.

Nope, those indonee obviously want the meat. Instead of all that there indonee aid... how's about we prop up them Cattlemen for a bit an' starve 'em out for awhile an' make 'em come get it along with changin' the minds of a few Government folk here.

Comment

I love the mis-use of the term "investment" to make the "ownership" of our land by foreigners sound like a good thing for us.

Feel free to invest (buy into companies); but ownership? No way.

Comment

• NoFerals
        NoFerals commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Fireguard" post=1270
        I love the mis-use of the term "investment" to make the "ownership" of our land by foreigners sound like a good thing for us.

Feel free to invest (buy into companies); but ownership? No way.
        Which brings me to repeat "We have all been expertly manipulated for some one else`s purpose in so many ways.
        Here as in many places in life its not what you say but, how you say it that counts .

There are three people types in life.
        Those who make things happen.
        Those who see things happen.
        And those who wonder What the ..*%^#@..Happened ?.

Which one we are is up to us ... to a degree
        The end result is often as was planned -- such is life..

Very bad.I hope it will be stopped.
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

99m year lease yes. Buy ..no.

Comment

All, just remember to write to your Newly Elected Federal Member.

Tell them that this not in the best interest of The Australian People.

Thanks...

Comment

does this sound a little like the long term plan of the indoneasians when they banned Australian exports...not they want to buy the land.....

Comment

Sounds like the same old scam, Buy the properties, then the meat works and then the transport companies. And employ their own worker in all of them.
              45/70 Government, The only government i trust

Comment

I expressed my views somewhere else and was given a holiday so l will be carefull with what I say here but anyone who is willing to sell the family farm to a foreign country for a quick buck is a sellout farktard who deserves to to be lynched I mean congratulated for putting greed before the national interest
                Fish
                Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Give the mongrels nothing "indos that is" and get the landowners to smarten up and work out what to do with there own stock
                  instead of selling off the land for a quick quid

Comment

Originally posted by The Pusser" post=1266
                    A LOAD OF Racist Bullshit
                    Real Aussies would be disgusted just at the thought of this.
                    [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
                    [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
                    [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
                    [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
                    [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• S12A
                      S12A commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The pusser.

regardless of my personal opinion on what you wrote i have removed your post as the racial slurs were unnecessary and obviously not something we want.

Don't blame the farmers...they are just trying to make a dollar like everyone else. This is the real world...get used to it.
                    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• fishphillott
                      fishphillott commented
                      Editing a comment
                      as much as I wish to contribute further to this thread I can't because I have had enough warnings that GOD wont tolerate me for much longer
                      but I will say this City boys offering their opinion on subjects they know nothing about

Oh 'Fish', you do like to exaggerate! Now why don't you tell everyone you are a city boy two weeks of every month. :P
                    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• fishphillott
                      fishphillott commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by GOD" post=34428
                      Oh 'Fish', you do like to exaggerate! Now why don't you tell everyone you are a city boy two weeks of every month. :P
                      your mistaken GOD for two weeks I am a sea going sailor who isn't issued iced vovo's

• Maverick
                      Maverick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by GOD" post=34428

GOD, that's Harsh !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks...

I don't know.....where I live was originally cleared and owned by big Americans....some yanks still own property here(south east WA). Now the Chinese are starting to buy up property here. I don't really have a problem with it..... isn't like they can throw a rope round the land they just bought and tow it back to were they come from with a tug boat is it? At the end of the day they are still subject to Australian Law. They own the land as long as the Government says so.
                    Just my thoughts......
                    Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

God I hope this is a joke

Comment

Working...
                      X