This tractor won't die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This tractor won't die

I bought this IH A414 from a local farmer 20 years ago, and it had well and truly retired even then, good only for anchor duty.
    However, I managed to get her going and she has served well ever since, only for slashing a small acreage and pulling the odd stump.
    In that time the gearbox has dropped a cog, brakes totally failed, hydraulics blown a seal, radiator rusted right out, water pump bearing gone, dynamo burnt out, three tyres kaput and exhaust manifold snapped in half. I'm no mechanic, but somehow have managed to revive the old girl each time and here she is, battery being charged (no dynamo any more) ready for work.
    Just thought I'd share . . . . . :P

Yes - that is a can of "Start ya bastard" on top of the fuel tank - only 2 glow plugs work now

Oh, also forgot to mention it caught in the middle of a small bushfire once and was engulfed in flames
    If guns cause crime, then all mine are faulty - Ted Nugent

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Greenwich-biker, will you be restoring this old tractor ???

Thanks....

Comment

• Greenwich-biker
        Greenwich-biker commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Maverick" post=46666

Greenwich-biker, will you be restoring this old tractor ???

Thanks....

Not in the true sense of the word, but I might rub down & re-paint at some stage.

I think the green machine in the shed is better.
      still,............I do like old tractors.

Comment

• Greenwich-biker
        Greenwich-biker commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=46683
        I think the green machine in the shed is better.
        still,............I do like old tractors.
        Ahhhh - a John Deere fan, eh? :P

not really,...........it just looks like less work. :lol:

I luv old cat or oliver dozers though.

Comment

Well I was going to comment and got interrupted but its the brand that the problem "international " the mechanics playground / nightmare ".
        The standard orders for filed service blokes on the roads gangs was...............
        Look for a cloud of smoke on the horizon you would most likely find a Caterpillar under it, the inters / TD 24 `s were parked under trees begin fixed Again
        This is a Caterpillar tractor
        They built most of Australia with them.

This is an old model Cletrac --- early model Oliver.
        Rough as guts to drive I don`t think they built the Snowy mountain scheme with these.

Attached Files
        [center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• 17fireball
          17fireball commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm restoring a B414, same tractor but British import. So far have a new crankshaft, new pistons, rings, liners , new head,new glow plugs and new steering wheel.

• 17fireball
          17fireball commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by NoFerals" This is an old model Cletrac --- early model Oliver.
          Rough as guts to drive I don`t think they built the Snowy mountain scheme with these.

Notice the high drive on the Cletrac from the 1920s that Caterpillar claimed to have invented in the1980s. Oliver bought Cletrac about 1950, my 1952 Cletrac FDE has parts with Oliver cast in them. Oliver in turn fell into financial difficulties and were taken over by the White corporation -makers of White trucks-in the early1960s.

[/color
          [/i]
          Attached Files

uncle had a Oliver OC-18.
        was good to listen to.
        pulled well.

Comment

• 17fireball
          17fireball commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Send-it" post=46727
          uncle had a Oliver OC-18.
          was good to listen to.
          pulled well.
          Thats what the FDE was called after the Oliver takeover, so same as mine. 14.7 litre Herculese diesel.

A very poor picture of a Cletrac Overloader used in the 1956 river Murray flood bank building.
        There`s a couple of Fergies or may be a Fordson P4 Jerkins powered I think .. there as well

The driver simply drove straight into the sand heap and straight back to the truck behind.
        The bucket (tipped over in the pic) went up and over and tripped behind the driver into the truck.
        The snakes fell out in the drivers lap or amongst his feet.
        No snakes were injured y the time the driver recovered the snakes were well gone.
        That`s what the original driver of this very machine told me.
        Attached Files
        [center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

That old girl looks great! I'm fixing up an old grey fergie at the moment, that thing has sat outside for years, I've finally got iit rurunning and safely away in the shed it's great to see old machinery up and running!

Cheers,
          Alex

Comment

Working...
          X