Pulled a helirotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled a helirotor

So one of my bores was loading up the Kubota and suffering from a lack of water flow

I will attempt to explain how a helirotor works in words and then add photos that I have on my phone and I will need to take more tomorrow as I got a bit busy and forgot to photograph everything I wanted

So this particular pump was 35 lengths of 20ft column down the hole with a pump that is about 10ft long on the end

The pump is a screw type pump (see photo)
    the pigs dick looking rotor is a polished screw which fits inside a rubber stator and as it rotates the water is drawn up through the stator and into the column to the pump head

The column is 65mm in diameter and the pump is driven by a 19mm rod which is inside the column held centrally by rubber bobbin bearings Click image for larger version

Name:	20210210_115813.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	319889
    The pump is belt driven by a 125 Kubota stationary motor

The lifting rig
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210210_064329.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	319890

Name:	20210210_065509.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	319891 the tripod you can see in the photo is for pulling bores with out the aid of a rig
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Removing the pump head

Luckily everything was well greased and came apart quite easily

Name:	20210210_064334.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	319893 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210210_064340.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	319894 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210210_065954.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	319895 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210210_070355.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	319896 each length of column is joined by a socket
    The lifting bracket you can see in the last photo is below the socket and sits on the well head as the length of column above is unscrewed and removed

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

• pd
      pd commented
      Editing a comment
      good thread fish , i did a few helical rotors in my days at southern cross ,unfortunatly i also remember jamming the retaining slipper under under the 2 inch pipe socket so as to unscrew the top section of pipe only to have the bottom section below the socket let go. you are 100% correct about the swearing and cursing side of the deal....cheers..pd

While I am waiting on a short video to up load I will try to explain the problem with this bore a bit more
    The columns are threaded at each end allowing them to be screwed in to socket and the ends of the column is machined flat so there is no actual sealing compound on the threads except never seize the lengths of column seal onto each other because of the square ends
    the pump was 4 lengths below the water level
    the rubber bobbin bearings need to be wet for lubrication and cooling or else they bind up inside the column and onto the drive shaft wearing them out

This bore required every length of column to be replaced due to rust holes in the columns and water erosion on the threads which lead to more water leaking past the sockets
    There is the possibility of the water erosion getting that bad that the column will actually separate at a socket and the pump will fall down the hole leading to lots of cursing and a lost pump
    They can be recovered by being lucky and catching the broken column with a jag but this also leads to great expense and swearing and cursing

Comment

Comment

Great posts mate...
        "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Very interesting post fish.
          did you get it sorted in the end?
          Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparta View Post
            Very interesting post fish.
            did you get it sorted in the end?
            Yeah mate
            pulled repaired and back down the hole in the same day
            I have another bore pulled at the moment that I will take photos of today showing a few bits and pieces

Comment

Name:	20210215_135411.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	319920 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210215_135527.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	319921 a stack of columns with the drive rods inside
              You can see in the second photo the damage to the face which will allow water to leak past

Comment

Name:	20210215_135646.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	319923
                bobbin bearings on the drive shaft
                There are 4 bearings on each 20ft length of rod Click image for larger version

Name:	20210215_135639.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	319924

Comment

I'm curious to see what that recovery jag looks like, dropped a $25k submersible down a bore once, was not deep but was not pretty either to recover.
                  The TRUTH is out there,
                  the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
                  We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
                  That's why he is made of Chocolate.

Comment

It's a length of pipe with internal jags, the idea being the column will remain semi vertical at the bottom of the hole the recovery jag slides down the column and over a socket and hopefully once captured it can't/won't slide back over the socket

Comment

Thank you Fish, I understand the concept, what if the socket has come loose ?

Is there a chance of a photo please, or a link ?

I did some searches on the net but not finding anything close, maybe I m not searching properly.

Sounds interesting, back then we eventually managed to get the pipe column to start to screw into the top of the pump
                      and we lifted it carefully, luckily it didnt fall beyond the end of the bore casing, but it was skewed to the side.

Prick of a job !!

Spectacular water supply when finished, and fulfilling, just hard work getting there.
                      The TRUTH is out there,
                      the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
                      We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
                      That's why he is made of Chocolate.

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...id=hplocalnews

Prick of a phone call...

"Eeerr Boss... No dog was hurt."

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Good post mate!
                          It’s been awhile since I’ve played with such gear. M

Used similar pumps in food manufacturing and coal mining. I had some photos years ago of a pigs dick that had been corroded so badly it was effectively just a rusty rod.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Forward!
                          Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

While we are talking bores one of the sister stations out near Windorah is drilling a hole this year 2100m deep
                            it will be under pressure at shiploads gallons/hr and 80 odd degrees Celsius. It will be going into a 6 inch ring main covering 1.2million acres

Comment

Working...
                            X