X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who are the farmers here?

And what do you farm?

I'll start it off.

We farm in a few locations in NSW. North of Dubbo, east of Coonabarabran and between Coonamble and Walgett. Our main game is cropping wheat, canola, sorghum, mung beans etc. We also run a few thousand sheep and a handful of cattle. Here are some happy snaps.

G'day sneeky
    my house paddock looks like the forum banner but am supposed to be running droughtmaster cattle on 32000 acres
    if the greens get back in on Saturday I don't know if I will even be able to afford ammo to cull a roo to feed the dogs
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by fishphillott" post=394
      G'day sneeky
      my house paddock looks like the forum banner but am supposed to be running droughtmaster cattle on 32000 acres
      if the greens get back in on Saturday I don't know if I will even be able to afford ammo to cull a roo to feed the dogs
      Haha...gold! least they only got one seat! where about are you located, QLD? been bloody dry up there I hear. Our country at Walgett is very very dry, bout 6 inches in the last 18 months I think. Bit too scared to go look at the crops :S

What's the story behind that burnt out header Sneaky?
    Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      In one word.....Chick Peas.....oops, that's two! Happened two years ago. Was happily harvesting along when I noticed flames coming out near the engine bay. Jumped out and rushed to get the spray rig (which we had set up as a fire fighting rig) but it was too late. Only took a few minutes to be an inferno!!

That's a great looking crop in the first photo
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

• 17fireball
      17fireball commented
      Editing a comment
      I am restoring a Chamberlain tractor, my daughter wants to use it as her wedding vehicle on the 21st September,I was given 16 weeks notice and as I can only work on it 3 days a week that equals 48 days of actual working on the restoration, including trips to Inverell and Gulgong to pick up parts More upodates coming and hopefully one of the wedding if I can finish it in time
      ! The tractor as found
      2 Using the needle scaler to remove thepaint
      3 The motor undercoated
      4 The repair to the left chassis that I found
      5 The repair to the right chassis as found
      6 Painting the chassis after sanding back to bare metal and priming
      7 The chassis and diff painted in Chamberlain orange
      Attached Files

My missus and i own 4 properties on the Southern Downs, They are 4300, 5600, 7800, 14500 acres and we just run cattle.

Here are a few Photos

When i am not on the properties i am trapping wild dogs across Southern QLD and our 18yo son looks after them.
    45/70 Government, The only government i trust

Comment

nice pics thanks for posting i am a happy snapper too
      kinda makes my 15 acres look ordinary

Comment

• shooter65
        shooter65 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing ordinary about it SystemDown, The big thing to remember is it is your 15 acres of peace and quiet.

Hello,
      South australian beef and sheep producer here, arrived on this seriously modern looking forum thanks to fish, so blame him.

Excellent storm passing over at the moment, will serious help out the hay paddocks with a much needed nitrogen boost, happy days at the moment.

Cheers All,

Comment

Retired from farming years ago I grew up well grew dunno about "up" on a mallee dirt farm wheat and sheep --left it at around 20ish to do other things including some viticulture the old hard way.
        Back to the Mallee again I have been connected with stations and farming in one way or another most of my life.
        Done a bit of all sorts shearing //engineering /boiler firing / distiller/ heaps of attendance at the steering wheel on IS transport or Road construction.
        I get bored easily if the crop does not grow quick so its a mixed bag of tricks --Jack of a lot of things and boss of a few and I early learned tradesmen are worth their weight in gold when the bloke in charge does not know the answer --- no sense in having a dog and barking for yourself
        You learn a lot from blokes who know how to do things if you listen to them . :lol:
        NoFerals
        [center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

In regards to your last sentence NF
          Never truer words spoken
          Thank you
          Fish
          Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Gday fellow farmers,

We run a 1700 cow self replacing herd, fattening steers for the EU market in northern NSW. Things have been pretty ordinary here for the past year but not as bad as some other poor buggers. Just waiting for the so called spring to kick in. Will post some photos of our place when I get organised and work out how to.

Cheers

Comment

Hey Lads.
              Ill play.
              Sheep and wheat farmers (son) from central wheat belt of western australia running 12000 acres. We turn about 1.5-2 tone of Hard and noodle wheat a year running 5000 head of sheep and a suffolk stud. originally from Condingup.

This season is shaping up to be average, we will break even. nothing to write home about but we will do better than some. and thats something....
              Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Country kid" post=3147
                Hey Lads.
                Ill play.
                Sheep and wheat farmers (son) from central wheat belt of western australia running 12000 acres. We turn about 1.5-2 tone of Hard and noodle wheat a year running 5000 head of sheep and a suffolk stud. originally from Condingup.

This season is shaping up to be average, we will break even. nothing to write home about but we will do better than some. and thats something....
                Wow, now theres a place I dont see mentioned often. Lived on a station just across from Cape Arid for a few years when i was a little tacker, went to school at Condi. A beautiful stretch of Australia in its own way, although not always kind on those trying to work it.

Unfortunately my parents were never able to get their own patch, but always an inhabitant of rural and regional areas -ended up on the Atherton Tablelands before leaving home. Went to uni a got a job that still allows me to spend lots of time in the scrub all over the place, wouldnt have it any other way. I think growing up in the country is the way to go, and I find landholders whose land I have to work on seem a bit more receptive when they find out im not some young city slicker who "knows everything"

Hi all
              I'm part of a family run farm in Sth Gippsland
              Dairy,Beef& Ag Contracting
              Keeps me busy
              Looking forward to a good silage & hay season

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                We are on about 360 acres in the scenic rim. It's my mrs family place, I am from an industrial town, but have always been a farmer at heart. We run cattle and a few horses. I would love to work the place but in this day and age, this size is probably only good for an organic farmer.

I always joke that if I have a lotto win I would be straight into the nearest town to buy a big new tractor, cars, meh! Who needs 'em?

Hey G'day all,we're a small family stud cattle operation on the western downs of Queensland. We sell about 50 bulls a year at our annual on property sale as well as a small commercial herd of breeders.also background steers or take through to bullocks.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi I live in Sydney. I have 12,200acs NW of Nyngan NSW, I run about 1000 dorpers and 500 odd Damaras as well as a few hundred Boer X goats.
                We also grow some barley and oats out there. My passion is hunting and fishing.
                Any other friendly farmers out there need any pest extermination done I'm willing and able. I have a heap of game cams, night vision gear and a thermal imaging
                camera (Flir) that lets me get around in total darkness and see whats out there at night with out spooking them. I get around in an electric buggy as well so no
                noise to spook your stock or the ferals.
                If you own a farm and want to have a hunt on my place in exchange for a hunt on yours, I'm keen to hear from you also.

cheers
                My buggy
                Click image for larger version

Name:	April2013hunt4Chrisspics.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	42951
                Property shot

Name:	April2013hunt14Chrisspics.JPG
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	42952
                Oats

Name:	Colly-FairAug201013Large.JPG
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	42953
                Dam

Name:	CoolabahAug-Sep085.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	42954
                Goats

Name:	Colly-FairAug201018.JPG
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	42955
                Old sowing rig, been replaced with newer set up since this pic.

Name:	Versatile900tractorMedium.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	42956
                Trail cam pigs

Name:	GamecamstillsJan20111Small.JPG
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	42957
                Trail cam foxes

Name:	GamecamstillsJan20117Small.JPG
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	42958
                Wheat crop

Name:	OkeycropSmall.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	42959

nice little patch you got there Penguin!!

ahh,.....the good ol' Versatile twin stack.
              not many left around now.

Comment

• 17fireball
                17fireball commented
                Editing a comment
                Penguin about 12 years ago I was keen on buying a property in that area called Quinine Park,then I got Barmah Forest Fever and that was the end of it. are you anywhere near there?

I'm on just under 1000 acres of our family farm I grew up on, about 600 is forested and we are currently harvesting timber to bring in some $. Not running stock at the moment until we fix the fences but keen to put some cattle back on once I've cut enough fence posts and shot enough wild dogs.
              Very new to hunting my old man passed away a few years ago and left 4 rifles in the roof for me to look after.

Comment

• Anderson
                Anderson commented
                Editing a comment
                I can add 160Ha in Tas.to this threads holdings. Plus a few beef cows that are calving at the moment. We also seem to run a few wallabies, possums, deer & even fewer rabbits.
                Started a campaign June last year to get series with the wallabies, 2322 later we have grass we never knew we owned. No wallabies on my last round before the rain set in, but 2 deer, so not a wast of a trip. May have to start fish farming soon.
                Attached Files
            Working...
            X