'Crackling Rosie' on board again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Crackling Rosie' on board again....

Spent the long weekend in beautiful weather mowing paddocks. After a shaky start the weekend before with Cracklin' Rosie breaking the fuel line to the cold start filament at it's olive...

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	50.4 KB ID:	317369

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	317370

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	317371

Pieced back together ready for operation and a new kit to be source (with gasket goo). Got 4 of 5 of my driveway paddocks done.... While I wait for the part in the mail.
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.1 KB ID:	317373

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.9 KB ID:	317374

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	317375

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	317376

I do love this time of the year... Smelling of diesel fuel, cut grass and that ringing in my ears.
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

And how many times / hours a day doing this ????.

Cattle Stop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzZ5ltsd-FM
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

The grid is my ‘someones coming’ alarm...

A few tear-tabs get pulled... But I try not to waste a drop.

I’m about to put up a sign... ‘The Links’.

Comment

thanks for sharing,
          i'll keep an eye out for that on my 'rosie'.
          (got the same tractor).
          they're good ol' girls,.......until you drive a new one and think ooh this is nice.

Comment

The complete kit shouldn’t be expensive and the olive broke away on the filament side as it’s part of that...

‘Rosies’ been doin’ well. The front lot got three ‘haircuts last spring, summer and autumn. The back block got only one. I did one of the larger ones out the back the week before last and just before we sprung that leak...

It’s more undulating country out past the two crossover paddocks that join my front acres with the back lot and not the easiest of mows. Just as if not more pretty... But man it was a hard slog in low range to get around it because the grass was still pretty high and thick.

Here's the dog'n'me looking out from the first back paddock over the two crossover paddocks I call 'crossover' and 'the cricket pitch'.... The grid is at the little spec of green you see at just below the hill with the saddle just to the left of centre picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg Views:	4 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	317382

These photo's were taken February after the back paddocks getting a mow early November. Probably should have given the bloody things another mow around the time of the photos... But they had been grazed pretty hard by a neighbour that previous year so decided to give them a proper rest for a year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-2.jpg Views:	5 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	317383

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg Views:	4 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	317384

The ol' girl does pretty well for what she has to do. But you do have to pamper her and talk nicely to her... But like a loyal and hard working 'Punch' she gets the job done.

When I don't leave the shit to get to 6 foot high I can whip around the paddocks in high range second and third sitting on about 1800 rpm but when it gets tall and thick it's slow and steady in low range second/third on about 1400-1600rpm... (I listened to the advice of 'Skip' and 'Fireball' on how to talk to the ol' girl.)

Comment

Sounds like ol Rosie goes alright for her age Herne.
              yeah cutting grass for long periods of time is always a worry with those ol girls.
              we have an ol David Brown she's a good girl.
              the same one I posted up of my wedding photo.
              good to see the paddocks are nice a green.
              Even here its looking better than this time last yr.
              Go hard or Go home.

Comment

I thought you had some cows to do that job, do you intend to run some?

Did you mow the shooting range first and what are you shooting so far?

Comment

‘Magoo’, I had the place agisted out the first 6 years I owned it...

The first three years was by a local fencer who was a casual grazer... That paid for me to fix boundary fences, move the few existing fence lines, divide/create 10 smaller internal grazing blocks with access to water and pasture for a more ‘strip’ type grazing.

The next three years these paddocks were used by a direct neighbour who used these paddocks for his heifers and young calves... For that he paid me an annual stipend and mulched the paddocks twice a year.

Then the by May 2018 and some very low rainfall for the area. I decided it was time to fertilise and rest the acreage for a couple of years in preparation to stock the place myself this year... Well, as most know, this year has been a cluster fuck to say the least.

I have my eye on some little ladies from another neighbour and have the use of another neighbours bull when we are ready. The prices are running pretty hot ATM and I spent my cattle money on a tipper earlier in the year... But I reckon we are close to kick off when things settle down for me a little.

This has been a good plan to date mate, with the place pretty much paying for its development and infrastructure. I like to keep it looking tidy as it’s a pretty and quiet piece of country.

I mow a strip in and place a variety of targets to sight in my rifles or lose a little time, loosing a handful of rounds on the rare occasion there’s an easy afternoon free...

Click image for larger version  Name:	45D8482E-535C-43D3-B914-8193FAC24BB3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	46.5 KB ID:	317399

These will cost me a pretty penny I reckon... But I’ve dropped more on guns in the past.

Comment

Yeah, prices would be high nowadays but that would have been the smart logical plan to get a bit of rent to do the fencing and stuff.
                    The drought went on and would have effected a few of those good high rain areas but it sure does look good now.

Hopefully, when the dust and emotions settle, you're semi-retirement plans won't be put back long if you are planning to get out of dodge and settle up there.

Comment

'Magoo', when I first looked at the place it was a proposed DA by the proprietor whose family use to own about 2,000 acres but life choices and family circumstances occurring over last two decades, he is now only left with just over 100 acres... My proposed block was one of the last bit of great pastoral land he had hung onto. Besides his 100 acres around and to the south of his existing residence.

After looking for three years prior from Temagog west of Kempsey to Braidwood further south. The proposed block ticked many of boxes for me. Mainly being the lay of the land, pasture and proximity. The area itself has a lot going for it with temperature, rainfall, infrastructure and natural beauty. So, it didn't matter that what was on offer fell short of maintained boundary fences and little internal fencing, no sheds, yards or dwellings and the like... I wanted to do all that my way anyway.

So, just gave him what he wanted because I had it at the time and could see the potential. After a final survey, I set to work constructing sheds, yards and fairly modest accommodation. As my first agister (the fencer), started fixing the boundary fencing constructing my internal fencing plan. I helped him when I wasn't building stuff to keep costings down and things on an even keel.

But he started to lag a little in our contra deals. So, I finished what was left myself. My direct neighbour had been watching what was going on over the three years prior and had always shown an interest... We worked out a grazing plan and that took me through the next three years and May 2018.

By this time I was finishing up things I wanted done, needed done and needed to know. Some by watching and talking with other neighbours but most by trial and error. My infrastructure complete or should I say sufficient. Also, satisfied the place is looking neat and tidy to my standards, topped with the property prices in the area 'skyrocketing'... I'm ready to kick back a bit, stock the place and enjoy a different type of long weekends work and chores.

The biggest thing I cannot do myself is the up keep of the dams. There are five of these and need a contractor to do this... But I am fastidious and find it somewhere to keep them in the order I desire.

Comment

A sight for sore eyes it really is something else again......magic looking country side and GREEN......nearly as green as enzud when I saw it years ago.

Not country I am familiar with but, all that long grass ......would it be a proposition to bale it and keep the land clear at some times in the year or is it too rank for stock feed ?.

The thort of a rifle range in the back forty is just too much for me to ponder on.
                        I still need to travel 1/2 hour to unlimited scrub for a bit of plinking with mates but its just not the same as grabbing the nearest rifle and letting a shot or two off out your own back door.
                        Life as it used to be back on the farm...... I miss that and always will.

A great feeling to achieve long chased dreams eah M8.......

How come the dams need such high maintenance ?.....do they silt up from too much rain ......never see that here.
                        [center]
                        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

‘Dave’. When the place is running stock and they are constantly moved the grass doesn’t get the chance to get so high....

Once the animals have given an area a good four legged mow and have been moved on. The higher untouched and storky stuff is mowed in with the shit about 3-4 weeks later for it all tier up to 6 -14 inches high again. They get a bit fussy with it after 14 inches high.

It’s mowed quite high as well, about 4-5 inches high as to not crown it out, thus over mowing. If you do this and over graze a bit too much re-shute and recovery takes extra seasons. The last agister and the less rainfall during those years did this a little... So as the landlord I am in charge of bringing back to where I want it.

The dams I just like clean, approachable and working well. I have enlarged a couple a bit by doing this and even are now about to stock them all with ‘fush’ to help keep them cleaner... Adding to the fun and appeal.

Comment

Good to hear the farm story Herne, should work out well although I would be living there sooner rather than later.
                            Do you have around 400 acres, just guessing but it's interesting how you can't run many head on smaller blocks.

Yeah, the maintenance can be an eye-opener, prob what the farmer does as most of his work.
                            Then you need to fix and maintain all the machines that maintain the land.
                            Never thought about the dams although when I used to house sit for 2-3 nights and had time to check things out at a mates place, I suspected one of the many small dams was leaking as it would dry up but the others seemed fine. He just had one very big main one that was always full.

It was a magic block, just 100 acres but mostly uncleared and no close neighbors and a modern nice house back off the road and grid.
                            The best shooting clearings were near the house so it was fun.
                            All the critters were healthy as, from the few rabbits to bandicoots and even koalas, weird noise had me stumped for a good while.
                            Stalked onto a little dam and about 4 tortoises spooked and dived in, not sure what preditors they are scared of, a few eagles up there.
                            He was working on the fence lines as it was all let go and just a wealthy family weekender, had a modern enclosed tractor to tow the slasher though.

The biggest worry with the not so dry land was when those ripper storms went through north of Newcastle, he must have been on the edge of it all and the wind was at the trees down level, not 4 or 5, he said it was around 20 down.

Had 3 cows from the next door block and amazing how they get around and feed through the whole block and all the thicker growth.
                            One dropped dead, so you must get some stock loss, even in good conditions but they are breeding so it's all good.

Comment

We get a few’Drop Bears’ ourselves Magoo... Can be noisey little buggers at night.

I remember early just after settlement I was up there putting road base and blue metal down on the excavated area to be the machinery shed. After a long day trucking in and spreading level a few loads of base and blue metal.... Set up a camp stretcher, lit a fire and had a couple of ‘coldies’ relaxing as the sun went down.

Being a little buggered myself soon dozed off on the stretcher to be awoken by a funny growling croak, then a decent thud of something landing on the tinder of the tree lined water way edge just behind me...

Rolling over on the stretcher, I shone a torch to where the thud noise came from thinking WTF was that? Lo and behold was a ‘Drop Bear’ staring back at me from the centre of the torch beamwith a... WTF are you look on its face.

Ive even come across one with its little ‘rucksack’ on its back wandering across a paddock from one waterway to the other.... The kids get a real kick when they see them perched up in a tree.

Click image for larger version  Name:	45BDDA6C-1642-46D2-964D-E5055299FDCF.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	113.4 KB ID:	317447

Comment

Working...
                              X