• Show
Clear All

• Only in Australia...

Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	321668
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

We are a land of stark contrast, 2019 I was clearing vegetation in the Barrington Tops as part of the fire fighting effort, in the space of 6 hrs I got snowed on and dusted with fire retardant dropped by plane.
    Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

Awesome picture Herne.
      you know where it was taken?
      Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Mount Victoria, Blue Mountains. NSW.
        "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

I’ve seen 2-3” of snow on the ground at Mt Victoria in early March a few year ago.

Comment

Yeah, the first places to go see the snow are Blackheath and Mt Vic, but for full coverage
            and seeing the little farm houses covered, keep driving to Oberon.

My first trip to the big forest was a sunny day with full coverage but could still drive on the main forest road and wasn't that cold.
            I was waiting for my first rifle and licences at the time.
            I walked around other forests with the .22 but something drew me back there and it paid off with my first deer.

Funny how things pan out.

Comment

Ah !, good old mount Victoria from the dqys when trucks with FA horses had to go via Grifith and the Hume and the game ones or just plain dumb ones or the innocent could be seen at the top of mount Vic with the the trailer and all brakes locked up ... dogging chain on the bull bar and as quickly as possible wrapping the rest of said chain around the guard rail posts while the truck ever so slowly was sliding backwards down hill on ice Fun times.
              Snow at Blaney too ...furkin cold ....But not as cold as Gyra and not as heart stopping as Black Ice on the Moombies.

Now you know why we live where we live in Flat land over here and you don`t fall off the edge either its a bloody furphy that one...
              [center]
              Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
                Yeah, the first places to go see the snow are Blackheath and Mt Vic, but for full coverage
                and seeing the little farm houses covered, keep driving to Oberon.

My first trip to the big forest was a sunny day with full coverage but could still drive on the main forest road and wasn't that cold.
                I was waiting for my first rifle and licences at the time.
                I walked around other forests with the .22 but something drew me back there and it paid off with my first deer.

Funny how things pan out.
                I had the coldest day of my life at Oberon, I’ve been in a blizzard at Thredbo and it wasn’t as cold as Oberon. There was no snow either, just a howling wind that made your bare skin burn like it had a hot branding iron on it.

Comment

Yeah, it's a cold place.
                  Some hunts, all the puddles have got a layer of ice.
                  I thought my waterproof boots leaked and my socks were getting wet but it's just the cold water temp I recon.
                  Lots of days in that steep forest would have the cold wind blowing in the high parts but never too bad for walking.

The only bad walk was when rain set in constant instead of light drizzle and stopping, just wanted to get back to the car and bought a rain jacket after that one.
                  No wonder I like the October hunts best. The Autumn lead up period is nice as well, will still see that 1-2C on the dash as you get near that place LOL

Comment

As a kid we use to skate on the puddles that had frozen over night on the way to school. This usually started mid June and if the days and nights were clear and would be often until the end of july. It would be a very sunny morning (but still freakin' cold)... But at least we had thicker winter school shorts on offer for the cooler months.

Hunting during the winter months was a chore and if not somewhat dangerous. As the mountain weather even in summer could change to dangerous temperatures within hours. That's why there are huts built along the mountain ranges that as a courtesy by the previous occupants stock firewood and the odd can of food left stored. We didn't have much in the way of this fan-dangle thermal Hunters Element type clothing back then either. Moleskin long pants, flanellete shirts, footy shorts and the trusty ol' knee length Swanndri and thick woolen Norsewear socks...

The extra clothing, food and Down sleeping bags were a bit cumbersome extra carry by today's standards and we wore cotton footy shorts to hike in coz things below waist got wet. We used Dublin on our boots to make them water resistant. But you got smart about it all because most years there'd be a hunter lost to Hypothermia either getting lost or not well equipped.

Snow could be found even in the summer months up high or in some of the higher less exposed gullies. There were written and unwritten laws (codes) which we'd all abide by. It was great having someone crash into the hut late or have someone already there with a fire going when you yourself got there... Plenty of stories, track and weather info got discussed.

Comment

Yeah the uncle had a 300 acres in Oberon sold it now. Beutiful part of Australia. Did a fair bit out there back in the days. I does get cold when the wind picks up.
                      But my all time Aussie favourite for 12 seasons in 1 day Is Marulan. Far out the weather changes so quickly down there.

I have a job to do in Griffith either end of the yr or start of next. Fitting out chook sheds.
                      what's the town and weather like down there?
                      Last edited by Sparta; 16-06-2021, 06:48 AM.
                      Go hard or Go home.

Comment

• NoFerals
                        NoFerals commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Take care with digging post holes in chook sheds Sparts you never know what you might find in that area.......

You are going be cooked chooks in those sheds mate... Still a really nice area and town.

Comment

Why what have you found NF?

she gets warm there ey Herne?
                        looking forward to seeing the place never really worked around there.
                        Go hard or Go home.

Comment

You may find snakes or you may find remains.

Comment

GREAT
                            Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Working...
                            X