This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New camera opinions/recommendations wanted

I'm hoping some keen photographers here can help me make some decisions on a new camera

I am still struggling along with my old cannon ixus65's as i have an underwater housing with strobe arms etc. i bought a few spares when they were superseded but they are nearly all gone now and at 6mp it's about time to upgrade

My wife has a pentax K100d we bought as a step up from her old pentax 35mm SLR so we could carry over her lenses. again at 6mp it's due for an upgrade

What i'm looking at is the mid sized cameras like the sony nex-3 which should give more flexability with interchangeable lenses. the downside it that i'd be locked into sony's E mount lenses and it's getting almost as big as a DSLR

What would be your opinions on a sub $1k medium spec camera

thanks, steve

there is good deals on canons at jb hifi at the moment , from 18mp with 2 lenses strating around $780

Comment

I'm a fan of Canon DSLR and use their 1,5,7, series cameras. They are quite large and heavy though, especially with the batt grips.
      One of mates recently moved away from his Pentax K-7 and K-5 to the Fujifilm line of cameras, think he went for the X-E1.
      He loves them
      http://products.fujifilm.com.au/products/digital.asp?id=114&pid=1339&sid=1
      “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

www.kenrockwell.com
        specifically: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm
        It WILL answer everything...

I just got a Nikon1 - mainly for high speed (1200fps) shooting
        it drives me nuts otherwise, its not a point & shoot, yet has bugger all critical features of non-point & shoot (focus stuff mainly)
        plus its not the size of a point & shoot!

ABSOLUTELY DSLR - once you have one & learn to use it - OMFG never going back, SOOOO much flexibility & creativity.
        I'd STRONGLY push you towards Nikon/Canon DSLR (well Nikon!!! canon is for girls), then get a little point & shoot waterproof thingy for a small concealed carry camera

Comment

Canon vs Nikon

Here we go :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTVfFmENgPU#t=57
          “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• El-Skippo
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Morgo" post=1541
            Canon vs Nikon

Here we go :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTVfFmENgPU#t=57
            I LOLed at that one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice, I am a Nikon man my self

Nice one Morgo, it's funny coz anyone who knows knows Canons are the shit.
          Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

There are some good deals on Canon EOS dslr around at the moment, but if your looking for something a bit smaller but still with interchangeable lenses have a look at the Canon EOS M range.
            Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

thanks for the replies guys, i'm not keen to buy a DSLR just yet until i can afford to throw lenses at it

i will look at the canon eos m and see what options are around

thanks, steve

Comment

• Morgo
                Morgo commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by 6602steven" post=1576
                thanks for the replies guys, i'm not keen to buy a DSLR just yet until i can afford to throw lenses at it

i will look at the canon eos m and see what options are around

thanks, steve
                I had a play with one in the shops a while ago, the one thing I didn't like was it was very slow to focus.
                Apparently there has been a fix for this but its something I would check out first.

Stick to Pentax! I have a K7 and have used it for years. i can use any Pentax lens from my 300mm A* f/4 (made in the 70's) to my DA* 50-135 f/2.8.

you have "on body" image shake reduction" not "on lens" which means even the oldest lenses still get image stabilisation! not to mention full magnisum body and water/dust resistant! plus, you get to keep your existing lenses!

there are lots of Pentax's under the 1k mark. If you want to have a fondle with mine, let me know!

Cheers,

Nuzo

Comment

Working...
              X