My first fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first fox

I'll never forget the first fox I shot. I'd been hunting rabbits all morning and it was about 10:30am. It was getting warm and I'd decided to pack it in for the day until after lunch. I had about 4 bunnies on my belt and was getting keen for a feed so I unzipped my jacket, pulled the magazine out of the Bruno .22lr and headed back towards the car . . . that was when he popped up about 70m away. He was doing the same thing I was, hunting rabbits. He hadn't seen me and was getting his nose stuck into the grass . . . so I fumbled for the magazine now lost deep in my pocket and 'clicked' it into place.

That click gave me away and my mate the fox took off at speed, heading directly away from me. I flicked the bolt closed on a Federal Target round and brought the bruno to the shoulder. As the scope reached eye level the fox was just about to escape over a slight mound and I just had time to estimate the distance and calculate the drop in that part of every shooters brain that can obsess over it given the time or can instinctively 'feel' it in an instant. With the cross hairs just slightly above the centre of his skull, I squeezed . . . and he disappeared. To be honest I thought I must have missed and he'd gotten away.

I walked the distance between us and there he was, stone dead and laying right where the federal round had met him. This was a few years back but I was so proud of myself. I took the mandatory pics and sat down to admire my work. He was in top shape and the only sign he'd taken a round was the bulge of one eye.

As a city boy who only rarely gets a chance to hunt (never now that the State Forests are closed) it was a moment that I'll never forget. I'm proud to have removed this one predator to give our native marsupials, birds and reptiles that little better chance at breeding up.

I remember my first fox. My son says Dad can I whistle? Yes and gave him a go. He did and two came into the area. One stopped about 75yd. I had my .222 and took him out. My son was excited and said, Dad was that a lamb? No son, I think it is, No son, I saw what it was. upon arriving he said, that's an awesome shot

Comment

I don't believe many people would forget their first fox. They're pretty exciting times.
      Mine was only a couple of years ago out near Tara. A mate had taken me to a wheat farm he shoots on to help get a fox that had been driving him nuts for a while. We had been out the previous night but there was nothing but hairs and roos eveywere, so we just started taking out the hairs until the light shit it self. We got back to the same area just after sunrise and there he was chewing on one of the hairs about 200m out. I already had the 223 savage ready to go so as I got out of the Nissan I chambered a round and he heard me. He was off running away at about a 45 degree angle to the left. With a little bit of lead I let one go and and low and behold, he dropped on the spot. To say I was happy would have been the biggest understatement you could have made.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0230.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	24917

Comment

• Shotgunner
        Shotgunner commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by scottmatt" post=8177
        I don't believe many people would forget their first fox. They're pretty exciting times.
        Mine was only a couple of years ago out near Tara. A mate had taken me to a wheat farm he shoots on to help get a fox that had been driving him nuts for a while. We had been out the previous night but there was nothing but hairs and roos eveywere, so we just started taking out the hairs until the light shit it self. We got back to the same area just after sunrise and there he was chewing on one of the hairs about 200m out. I already had the 223 savage ready to go so as I got out of the Nissan I chambered a round and he heard me. He was off running away at about a 45 degree angle to the left. With a little bit of lead I let one go and and low and behold, he dropped on the spot. To say I was happy would have been the biggest understatement you could have made.
        I shoot at Tara - the place is crawling with ferals (feral animals )of every description - lots of fun if you can get propety access out there! I haven't managed a fox yet but it is only a matter of time.
        Attached Files

I finally got my first fox last weekend with a couple of mates... After missing my first opportunity I made up for having my rifle's safety on at the wrong time. Not a bad specimen...

Name:	IMG_0030.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	25588

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Great story Zen, it took me about 3 years to bag my first & then they came like a late storm on hot summers day & the flood gates opened

I got my first fox on the family property back in the 80's when I was in my teens with my Dads AYA side by side 12 gauge. I was using really old cardboard cased shotgun shells that I'm pretty sure had black powder in them.

It was late afternoon, I'd been out after rabbits and I was on my way back to the house, I was making my way down a very steep rocky forested area under some High Tension power lines as it had been cleared underneath.. a fox popped up from behind a rock about 30m away, we both saw each other at the same time and the Shotgun had come to my shoulder and the shot was away without even thinking about it. The AYA belched out so much smoke and muzzle flash I only just saw that I'd hit it.

I will never forget it.

It was a real buzz,.. lost count now. But I always get the same buzz.

Comment

My first I shot off the back of the ute doing 60 with him trying to make it to the bush outta the paddock only had one in the chamber after both barrels of the shotty missed thought id try my luck after the crack see him go tumbling at full bolt while we were hot on his heels turns out nailed him back of the head with my mates brno 452 I know majority wa

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-20-19-53-49.png
Views:	2
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	26650
        s luck but we were all impressed none the less

Comment

Working...
        X