Almost too good to be true! ruger #1 outing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost too good to be true! ruger #1 outing

A little report from the Rugers first outing in the bush.

I always intended to use this rifle for hunting an today was the day.
    I pulled up at the hairpin in the track an backed the ute in, took my time an got dressed into my kit an by the time I was done it was around 3:30pm, So there was plenty of time to stalk my way up a Semi moist gulley, although one side of the gulley cops the all day sun, an the opposite only seeing a little sun the base scattered in black berry but semi open for 3/4s of the trek until the gulley head where things would become steep an with small tennis ball size rocks making it slippery an noisey as well as thick undergrowth, it was like some kind of jungle scene.

Anyway, after craddleing the Ruger through the gulley floor half way up the gulley and 4:20 by now I sat down for a drink an checked out a fairly open clearing to see if anything eventuated... Nothing did so I snapped a few photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0657ruger2.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	22624

I wasn't there for too long, I left at around 4:50 an moved off up the gulley further hopin to run into something, but with the Wind swirling fairly hard in all directions I wasn't too confident. The wind blocked out some noise no doubt and even though the wind swirled, being late afternoon the air is drawn down mostly.
    I got to the end of the clear run an had a big wall of thick shit, kind of spikey but dry an pretty unpassable infront of me So I scanned for a few quick minutes an looked for a route back up higher through the quitter stuff which turned out to be a dead end an I had to tip toe along the shaley rock with blackberry tangling the feet... it was a bit of a fail an sure enough I heard the familiar noises of a Deer taking a little run for cover but only a few steps an then stop up.. I tried to get back up through the shit stuff to get a look across gulley but it was mostly a fail whilst only being able to see patchy spots.

I kept contouring as the opposite face was around 100-130M away, So even open sighted, things would be on!
    Not to be as my wind had blown around an gave her a bit of a fright so she propped up out of the thick an headed up hill, I lined the .303brit up on her an ...... As soon as I pulled the trigger I knew it was off!! Damn, next little bit of panic was Trying to grab a Cartridge out of my pocket whilst keeping my eyes on the deer, which had no idea what had just happened an kind of circled a few times before sneaking off, Just as I finally grabbed a round an fed her in the Single shot action... No chance for a follow up there but the deer still hadn't run off far, going by the noise of the shaley rocks in her direction, Although to my Left the noise of more Shaley rocks indicated another Sambar was also in the area, further up in the thicker harder to get area... I wonder what that woud be...

I was tryin to locate her or the animal above but I failed to do so an crossed back across the gulley an got on her Tracks.... right as I skidded under a log, Honk there she went, it sounded like 15m away through the wattle type stuff. That was the 2nd chance and things are all over now....

Scanning produced nothing so I rather swiftly moved back along to the ridge an walked down in maybe hoping to jump something on the way back before dark, no good but a good look around..

Sorry for lack of pictures, an no photos of the quarry, although most times that is hunting an just being out there is like having one giant gulp of fresh air... A little disappointed for the No1 as it would of been quite a story had it rolled that Sambar off its feet, but until next time.... Happy hunting.

WhelanLad

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0653ruger1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	22625

Thanks for the hunting report mate; even if you don't bag anything it's all about being out in the open air, doing a bit of cardio workout and generally enjoying just being out doing what humans have been doing for tens of thousands of years (ie: hunting wild animals). I believe I've heard it said that hunting is just bushwalking with a rifle...

Comment

Its fair to say I was a bit too Keen today, new rifle an all... I realise the No1 is all about making sure of that shot, will be tryin hard to keep discipline an to broad side only but heeyyyy.... Can ya blame me?

cheers
      WL

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by WhelanLad" post=5548
        Its fair to say I was a bit too Keen today, new rifle an all... I realise the No1 is all about making sure of that shot, will be tryin hard to keep discipline an to broad side only but heeyyyy.... Can ya blame me?

cheers
        WL
        Yeah, I know that feeling of being as keen as the first time you're out in the bush with a brand new rifle. I spent the entire day since sunrise trecking through the scrub with my then-new Ruger Scout on my shoulder and didn't see a thing (that I could legally hunt, anyway) so I made my way back to my vehicle that was parked about 70m up a rise from an area of standing water, cracked a beer and settled into my camp-chair for a rest and perhaps a quick nap before I started unloading the 4x4 and began setting up camp. Well bugger me if a mob of goats didn't turn up for a drink just as I was nodding off, which resulted in a mad scramble to locate and then load my rifle; the good 'ole Scout took care of 3 goats that arvo.

The Ruger #1 is actually the first centrfire I had shot in years when I got back into the sport early last year. My club has one chambered in .243win with a cheap 9x scope on top and that thing is a bloody tack-driver and easily shoots sub-MOA with the scope. A Ruger #1 in .303British is definately on my wish-list for the future, as the .303 is a great all-round hunting cartridge (I've hunted with my full-wood No4 rifle and it drops pigs just as fast as my .308, however it's a bit heavy and long to be lugging around the bush all day).

Hold a spare cartridge in the fingers of the non-master hand, base outwards.

It won't go anywhere and with a little practice you will be able to reload and fire as fast as anybody with a bolt gun.

Comment

• WhelanLad
        WhelanLad commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by adamjp" post=5574
        Hold a spare cartridge in the fingers of the non-master hand, base outwards.

It won't go anywhere and with a little practice you will be able to reload and fire as fast as anybody with a bolt gun.
        Yeah mate definatley heard of that trick an after the first episode kinda carried another for a while.

will have to grab some more 2208 an do up some loads with something.. other option is depending on how much the LGS can do a 10 pack of Highland AX for an go from there...

Would proberly like a few more cases to get started so I can use different projectiles an test side by side, rather than just the 40 cases il have after these 2 boxes.
        a $1 a pop Im not really too worried, but more accuracy testing would be good 1st.

cheers
        wl

Nice rifle.

What cal is the No. 1?

Comment

• WhelanLad
        WhelanLad commented
        Editing a comment
        .303 British
    Working...
    X