whistling foxes into shotgun range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whistling foxes into shotgun range

not sure if many of you guys noticed(posted on old forum) , i should have a new accar churchill 12Ga very shortly (if wapol agree) and as i seem to think that the young fox pups should be coming out to play soon i was wondering if anyone has any tips on getting a fox into range, what shells i should be using and with what choke.

im well aware of keeping me sent down wind and trying to hide it and my outline as best as possible just curious as to any other methods experienced guys might use. i have a button whistle and a tenterfield.

hopefully i can get some of the bastards this season
    savage MKII FSS .22 boyds laminate stock leupold VX1 3-9X40
    howa 1500 .243 varmint bedded in boyds thumbhole stock leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 DNZmount
    howa 1500 .223 varmint in the "franken stock" shortened barrel (19") pecar 8X56 DNZmount
    gammo shadow 1000 .177
    akkar churchill 30" O/U 12G extractors

Earlier this week I was testing some assorted brand .22LR Standard Velocity Ammo at 50m.

To the right of me out of the corner of the eye I spotted two Fox's about 100m away running across my paddock, one chasing the other, parallel to my firing line. Which one was the Male or Female don't know but the Button Whistle didn't interest them one bit. Not even a hesitation yet alone a look my direction.

Two days later I heard Yelping outside and went to investigate. Laying down in the warm sun was a Fox near my firewood pile no more than 50m away and looking the opposite direction. I walked half way before stepping on a dry twig and up it got, headed off like a shot, never looked around and gone over the hill.

I think breeding season is on and I doubt they will come to a whistle. I think they have other than food on their mind......

Comment

yeah i gather that the mating rituals are going on around about now but it wont be that long till the young uns are about and chasing every squeak they hear. mostly interested in load and choke choice but if anyone has some tips on whistling a fox in the day i would be gratefull
      savage MKII FSS .22 boyds laminate stock leupold VX1 3-9X40
      howa 1500 .243 varmint bedded in boyds thumbhole stock leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 DNZmount
      howa 1500 .223 varmint in the "franken stock" shortened barrel (19") pecar 8X56 DNZmount
      gammo shadow 1000 .177
      akkar churchill 30" O/U 12G extractors

Comment

• WhelanLad
        WhelanLad commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi mate I use a old Side By Side with fixed chokes, cant remember off top of my head, full an half I thinkkk..

I use it all the time when going after foxes on the whistle, an am too keen for the springy summer pups to come out.

I generally use #2s and BBs, this time ive tried SSG but with only 18 pellets or so they group like shit out of my barrels an unless up close is useless to me.

So il be back on the 2 & BB bandwagon.

should be plenty enough, I mostly have a fella on hand wit ha 22lr for those the shotty cant touch.

cheers
        wl

I found the best method was to stand up, back to a tree. You get the best view that way.
      Another rule is to move you head very, very slowly when scanning. Take 30 seconds to scan 180 degrees. Mr fox does not have the best eyesight but he will see your pink kisser if you are not very deliberatly slow.

You should get a young fox into shotgun range pretty easily, the old wiser foxes are another matter altogether. If they suspect anything they will trot to downwind of you.

If you want a real trophy fox use a camera and try to catch the look on his face when he realises he has been conned,,, Priceless! I've been meaning to do it for year but never got around to it.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Snag, what constitutes a 'trophy' fox? Not being negative or critical, just wondering if you take pride in nailing a fox that is bigger / older / thicker fur or something else.

Full Choke using BB's is the go when bring Foxes to the Whistle.

Comment

Working...
      X