6.5x47 lapua's First Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5x47 lapua's First Kill

Well i loaded up some more round's today at 37.2 grn of 2208. With the intention of going to the range to confirm my load at 200 in a number of group's. Before settling on it. But after getting on the blower, i found no one was going up today. So i had the day off and bugger all to do ( Did a little work around the place ) Then decided to see if the rabbit's were out. .

So i went to one of my spot's and not much was going on for about 1 hr.I missed the first rabbit ( Shot fell just low ) Below the rabbit's chin and hung around for 20 min, to see if they would come back. No would be the answer there. So i packed up and when to the next warren. I sat there for about 20 min. Then this bloke came out for a bit of a sunning. I readied myself and got my Bushnell Fusion 1600 10x bino's out and ranged him. He was at 478 yard's, at 2 degree's incline, from my FFP. So i punched it into my BC ( Isnipe app ) and came up with 6.75 MOA from my 200 yard zero. I had a 4 mph wind call from left to right ( South East to North West , which i dialed 3/4 MOA. Temp was 8.5*c pressure 11.9 kpa, the Humidity was 69.9%. The bullet of choice was the 130 grn VLD Target ( as that's what i got ) With all the wheel's set in motion i just waited for the right moment to touch off the shot.

The time came and by then i was well relaxed and ready to touch off the shot, Bang......THUD......Seeing the rabbit doing a front flip off the log, while under recoil and a big chunk splintered wood, being ripped off a limb that was behind the rabbit. I stayed on target, to see two little leg's dancing about in the air. Followed by a Big Grin from ear to ear by myself of my little accomplishment

I know it's not extreme long range but it was hard enough in my book's for me ( The Sightron S3 has thick retical ) I think i'll get another PST in 24x as i quite like there retical, nice and thin. Good for what i was doing this arvo anyway. ( Fund's are the big factor here, Just gotta bide my time ) But i can do with what i got for now

OK now for some Pic's. Sorry no vid, this time round guy's.

Who say's using anything bigger then .22 cal on rabbit's ruin's meat :lol: , You just gotta hit em right Wait for the right time to strike

Jeez Skip, I'd have gotten a headache from all that math and just given up and went home.
    Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by several" post=1619
      Jeez Skip, I'd have gotten a headache from all that math and just given up and went home.
      Isnipe app on my Iphone, dose a good job of it. With a little help from me Like the saying goes Shit in = Shit out.

Bullet in the back of the head pushes everything out front :lol: I was surprised that the bullet did that amount of damage on that limb of wood. Just behind where the rabbit was sitting. So the VLD target is GTG for rabbit's me think's

oh, you shot a poor little rabbit!

bet he was tasty

good shot with the data you had skip, now the 6.5 x 47's been blooded you better shoot some paper at 500 and see how it really shoots

steve

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 6602steven" post=1620
      oh, you shot a poor little rabbit!

bet he was tasty

good shot with the data you had skip, now the 6.5 x 47's been blooded you better shoot some paper at 500 and see how it really shoots

steve
      I got a 800 yard shoot Next week. So i am going to run the 6.5 and see how i go

Good shooting mate!
    The other bunny reminds a certain 50 cal shot I saw a picture of once upon a time.

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Snag" post=1640
      Good shooting mate!
      The other bunny reminds a certain 50 cal shot I saw a picture of once upon a time.
      Yer your right, when i seen that pic. I didn't know what to say But such is life. Tis what happen's when your going off against a .50.

I am really liking this 6.5x47 round......Like shooting a .223 but with the ball's of a .308 and the ballistic's of a 190 grn .300 win mag round. ( minus the energy behind it )

To the rest of the guy's. Thank's for your input I was mainly guttered at the first miss ( It was so bloody close ) But no cigar on that one ...... Live's to fight another day. I have hit rabbit's out to 600 a few time's 200-400 most of them have been norm for me........The 700 or even 800 will be bloody fantastic, yet to acchive But will really need that thinner retical and perhaps a high mag scope like say a Nightforce 32xor40x something.

Either way i was out doing what i love, in my own world. Just wish i had more friend's that enjoyed that style of shooting. I like spotlighting but shit i do it enough I like a change now and then

But thank's to all for your comment's. Just thought it was about time i contributed a bit more here, today/late arvo was worth sharing ( Seeing as the phone bug is still getting ironed out ) Still having trouble viewing the forum on the Iphone. But in time it will get fixed. So this was my chance to contribute a little more

Yep. No doubt about it. There's a couple of fluffy X rings right there. Nice shootn skip

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=1685
      Yep. No doubt about it. There's a couple of fluffy X rings right there. Nice shootn skip
      :lol: :lol: :lol: Thank's Mate

Imagine what Skippy will be able to do if he ever gets around to measuring seating depth properly and does the load development he's been trying to get done.... He'll be picking their eye's out.

Terrible, terrible innacurate calibre this 6.5x47 Lapua .......

Comment

awesome shot there skip....i still chuckle everytime i see a split head(feral animal of course)

Comment

jeezuz.!
        not bad, not bad.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          You can almost see what he was thinking......... almost :lol:

yeah :lol:
        like .............."oh look, something flashed over there,...........must be a camera,...........smile !"

Comment

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          :lol:

You guy's are a crack up

I am really liking this caliber.......It's almost my new fav ( I just dont want to waste the barrel ) So i am shooting the .223's a lot still good cheap fun and great for practice in LR shooting.

did ya do a little jig like this when you hit it?
        I would have.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B6nHAifJ92E

Comment

WOAAh, great work Skip.
          Almost skinned and ready for cookin'

Comment

thats very impressive shooting skip

Comment

cant argue with those results then.
              had a chance to use it on bigger game?
              i'm thinking of making a long range-ish hunter, so i need something that can nail pigs/goats/deer out to 400+m
              will it do it ok oomph wise?
              currently using 6.5x55.

Comment

• El-Skippo
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Send-it" post=29635
                cant argue with those results then.
                had a chance to use it on bigger game?
                i'm thinking of making a long range-ish hunter, so i need something that can nail pigs/goats/deer out to 400+m
                will it do it ok oomph wise?
                currently using 6.5x55.
                Sorry nothing bigger. But if a 55 grn pill from a 223, can drop a 7 ft boomer at range ..... I am sure a 130 grn from a larger caliber will have no worries doing the same

Thanks for sharing that - head shot on a rabbit at 500 yds is good shooting by any standards especially with the conditions you described. Well done mate!

Comment

Working...
              X