223 or 270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 223 or 270

Hi all im new to the game and am in need of some advice.

Im looking for a sort of "all round" hunting calibre. I will be after everything from rabbits upto deer, i know both calibres are overkill for rabbits and foxes so i guess my question relates to medium game upto deer.

I plan on getting a remington 700 of some varient.

The 223 seems to only come in a 1 in 12" twist rate which limits my bullet choice to about 60gr and under, will this be enough to humanely take a deer with good shot placement ?

Or am i better off with the 270 which i understand is a popular deer round.

I plan on using factory ammo to start but i plan on getting into reloading

Also any other advice on calibres and rifle options would be greatly appreaciated

Many thanks, Brian

min sambar cal in the mexican state of Vic is .270 and I believe 130grn (best check that your self)
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Both, not either. 223 is not too flash hot for deer, however 270 is fantastic. 223 is more for rabbit and foxes. The 2 are so far apart you can't really compare the 2

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        .223 and 270 are in two diff world's. One's for mainly small game and the other...well the .270 is a necked down 30-06 that will bring down large game.

For a all rounder the .308 would fit the bill.

Thanks for the quick replys

Looks like ill have to get one of each

As far as the 223 goes am i better off trying to find a barrel with a faster twist rate, say 1 in 9" so i can load some heavier bullets or is upto 60gr good for the small stuff and a bit of target shooting, both wont be at extreme ranges prob 500m max

Comment

Ultimately you will want 2x rifles, they are do far apart as has been said before.

60gn in 223 is bang on for medium game, and head shooting deer for the freezer. Works well in a 1:12, and also 1:9 twist.

Comment

• moofy07
          moofy07 commented
          Editing a comment
          Why don't you go halfway, 243, 25-06 6.5x55 or 260 Rem. It covers most shooting in Oz.

Hmmm there are just too many choices time to build a bunker in the back yard haha

Think ill have to do a bit more looking around and some more research

Thanks for the input guys and merry xmas to you all

Comment

Hey Mate,

As others have said, they are two different rounds used to two different things.

.223 is more of a varminting round. has almost no kick and is very efficient.
          .270 is more of a medium/large game round. has a lot more kick, very flat shooting, a lot of down range energy.

if you want to cover all bases, go for one of the middle weight calibers, i.e. .243, anything 6.5, even 308.

.243 is pretty popular, 55gr for small game, 80+gr for medium game, just make sure you get the barrel twist that suits your hunting.

Cheers,

Nuzo

Comment

K98,
            stick with your plan of getting both.
            you'll be glad you did.

Comment

As most have pointed out, they're chalk and cheese. Either buy both, or settle for something more compromising like a 243/25-06/7-08/308. Minimum calibre restrictions for deer may also influence your decision.

Comment

Has rabbit ever complained about a .308?

Comment

308 Mate!

and get the 223 as well if you want a light rabbit gun and cheap shooting.

Comment

Yea the min cal for sambar is 270 as previously stated all other deer is 243 so i reckon a 270 in a remi 700 will be the go. Also want a cz 527 full stock mmmmhmmm love the full stock and there pretty much only in 223. Ill prob build a 308 mainly for paper punching later down the track

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      7mm08 could be the go since you're thinking of reloading - its ballistically similar to the 270 (maybe about 100-150fps slower) but when you start reloading you will have more choices when it comes to high BC 7mm projectiles compared to the 270

its also available in a short action (for a slightly more compact rifle and faster bolt throw) - having said that, if you're not thinking of reloading for a while, maybe stick to the 270 (i think factory ammo prices are still cheaper)

if you're very new to shooting just get the 223 for now (a 1:8 or 1:9 twist would be more flexible) - shoot it a LOT then get the 270

As some others have stated
                    .270 and .223 are worlds apart .
                    Get a .223 first as they are great for the smaller feral animals and learning to shoot then get a .270 or larger calibre later for deer
                    Trying to have a "one size fits all" calibre is never a good option.
                    Anything that is legal and Large enough for the big deer is going to too much gun for the small stuff.
                    Plus why only have 1 gun when they make 5/10/20 gun safes.
                    [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
                    [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
                    [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
                    [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
                    [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• Archie
                      Archie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      TC Dimension switch barrels

Don't get too excited about reloading to begin with. It is an entire science in itself and it is easy to buy all the gear then spend all your time and money working up loads rather than practical shooting, or alternatively giving up on the reloading after blowing your dosh on the gear. If you want lots of cheap practice, buy a .22 first then decide on your centrefire.
                    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

ill have to look into the 7mm08

I prob should have mentioned earlier i already have a cuple .22s and a 303 so the kick of the larger centrefires isnt an problem

Too much gun for the small stuff is never an issue i take the ol smelly rabbiting every now and then its always good fun trying to find whats left of the rabbit

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
                        SmoothOperator_87 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        270 is a great deer cartridge, and if you have a 22 already for rabbits your good to go

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Originally posted by k98guy" post=47398

I prob should have mentioned earlier i already have a cuple .22s and 303 so the kick of the larger centrefires isnt an problem

Too much gun for the small stuff is never an issue i take the ol smelly rabbiting every now and then its always good fun trying to find whats left of the rabbit
                        Go the CZ, you will love it.

The 7-08 is a necked down 308 case to 7mm, and ballisticaly is a very efficient cartridge.

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Originally posted by k98guy" post=47398

I prob should have mentioned earlier i already have a cuple .22s and a 303 so the kick of the larger centrefires isnt an problem

Ok that puts things in perspective a bit - you'll enjoy the 7mm08 then (with 168gr vlds it actually has more energy downrange than just about anything fired from the 270 from memory)
                    Working...
                    X