Plinking in Victorian state forests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plinking in Victorian state forests?

Hey everybody, I apologize if I've posted this question in the incorrect section, up til now I've spent all my time in the Collector's sub-forum. Just wondering about the legalities of plinking in Victorian state forests? If it's all good, are there any state forests in the South-Eastern part of Vic that might be suitable? It's just that although I reside right across the road from a range, it is only open on Saturdays, usually with strict designations for each day (Such as 500 yards .303 practice, which is kind of difficult when I wish to shoot a 7.62x54r, just won't allow it) and the restrictions are so heavy that it kind of takes the fun out of shooting a military rifle, only allowed one round in the chamber and can't close the bolt without having a dead-set sight picture, which is also difficult when the Mosin action obscures the front and rear sights completely. The only major range which is built to accomodate shooters like myself is a four hour drive away. I'd like nothing more than to set up a few bottles/cans and have some fun out of the way of everybody else. Is it possible?

time to get friendly with a cocky

when are these range's going to realise that with behaviour like that it will be there down fall, get a few mates to join get on the committee and change things
    it was done here at the local pistol club it went from an OLD FARTS club to a place of FUN with twice the membership and climbing

Comment

Technically from memory one can "only establish" target for sighting in purposes before going out to hunt. However how long it takes is user dependant, sometimes it takes me a couple of hours. For some reason just cant get a decent enough grouping :P

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Just.
        Go.
        And.
        Shoot.

If you tried to call and ask, you get run around with pencil pushers who say you can't in order to cover their asses, but then no specific legislation exists saying so if you point that out, or you even get a numpty who doesn't even know that you can hunt in state forest. Clean up after yourself, be considerate and don't shoot at living trees (causes an entry wound for fungal rot). Bazillions of us have done it in VIC, half the time with rangers walking right by, with no incident other than a wave and a hello.

As long as you are legal and licensed and follow the rules regarding safe distances from private property and roads etc you are OK, basically be considerate of others in the area and have fun

Comment

This subject has come up numerous times before....some say yes....some say no. But none of the people who say no have being able to produce any Legislation, Regulation, Law or whatever to back their claim. I don't use a range, never have. I go into a local State Forest with a .30-06 as well as a .204 and go for it. Call it sighting in or call it plinking or whatever.

In over 30 years no one has ever given me grief about it. Just keep it safe.
        I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

To the OP....just re read your first post stating you want to go out to 500 yards. That could be a problem in State Forests with the amount of trees in them. If you want that sort of distance you may have to "bite the bullet" and go to another range or find a private property.

I'd be lucky to get out to 100 yards in the State Forests around me in N/E Vic where I live and hunt.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• TheSovietSamurai
            TheSovietSamurai commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=46293
            To the OP....just re read your first post stating you want to go out to 500 yards. That could be a problem in State Forests with the amount of trees in them. If you want that sort of distance you may have to "bite the bullet" and go to another range or find a private property.

I'd be lucky to get out to 100 yards in the State Forests around me in N/E Vic where I live and hunt.
            Sorry, I didn't make myself too clear, it's not I that wants to go out to 500 yards, that is the usual practice distance designated by the range officer for very member to follow. I'd be much happier with 50 or less!

Some time ago, 1993 to be exact, I was trying out a new (to me) shotgun on some clay targets in what is now called a state forest. It was actually an overgrown (dry) drainage evaporation basin (lake bed). Along came a DSE employee (not a ranger), stopped had a chat, wanted to see my licence, no probs there.
          "oh, by the way we have a bit of a rabbit problem over that way, would you mind going over and shooting a few for us."
          "No problem " said I, and off he went about his business.
          I continued to break clay targets right where I was.

Checked out the rabbits, but they were right next to a road so did not do any shooting.
          This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            If you are in doubt ring a ranger in a country area and a Parks Vic ranger not DSE, they are mostly greenies and anti shooting from my experience and country based rangers will generally be on your side as long as you do the right thing. If you don't beleive me just talk to a few of them a lot are hunters too.
        Working...
        X