A Juniors journey begins to get rolling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you come up with that Herne or did the wife have to teach you? bit better than the average winter stew.

What is the "Speck" you shaved and added, pork?

Why use back straps for something cooked that long and slow when one of the toughest leg cuts would work fine?
    Could even use the shoulder or other cuts that I have never brought home.
    Tried rib and strap meat slow cooked with BBQ sauce and it was to die for.
    I will have to screenshot it and get it into my veno recipe folder.

Comment

G'day 'Magoo'. To answer a few of your questions...

My Mother's recipe with one new addition being the Speck and one slight change being Prunes instead of Sultanas... Both on the Wife's insistence. (I personally prefer Sultanas.)

Speck is smoked Pork belly.

Why use Back Straps? Because I share quite a bit meat with my host, family, friends and the odd 'sub-trade' tradie that gets to share the tales of my weekends away and wants to try Venison... Keeping only the odd 'Rear Wheel' which would end up being more of a Roast for a bigger table seating and all the Back Straps for our own use.

I still have five sets/pairs of individually frozen packed Back Straps and two 'Rear Wheels'. So depending on how many mouths are getting filled (usually just the wife and I) and how the stuff is being cooked, means one or two single pieces of a prime cut can be conveniently stored and removed from the freezer...

Purely personal choice and ease of prep for the cook. It's not part of our staple diet but a nice change once in awhile and if 'The Dennis' keeps bowling them over like he has been, some more will be getting given away... The two you saw used in this thread were chosen by date. (The two marked the oldest by storage date.)

Love to see yours and other's recipes.

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Cheers Herne, I got nothing compared to that and just been cooking in basic like steak sangas and stuff.
        Don't know why, but it has been eating great and the last package was the straps, just by luck of how it was stacked.

I just brown them in a pan and the oven finishes them.
        It's easy, quick and the meat is great.

My first thought was to swap the prunes for maybe a dozen sultanas as only really ate them in the wife's apple pies and they really set it off.
        I don't think she ever put the in other cooked meals.

I will take full notes or get another device to get your recipe stored in my folder.

Can only hope there is something left of my big Fallow herd and they return to their movements of past years as my area is open for hunting again this quarter and Spring has been when the mighty Swede has struck twice before with the same pattern.
        Although one a year would be better, the 2 year wait can make the successful forest hunt achievement feel so good.
        Last edited by magoo; 20-07-2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

G’day ‘Magoo’.

Well, the casserole looks and smells delicious.

It only needed 6 hours on low. I then turned it off just before I went to bed and it has been standing since then... I’ll put the cooker back on to heat it up later this arvo and will have good feed this evening.

🥃 Cheers.
          "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Re-heat and eat... 🥃🥃

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	322546

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	322547

Comment

Great stuff, some of my fondest memories are of shooting with the kids.
              Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

Cheers Adam.

A fond memory for me was that first time you and I got bounce around in that station truck, up a rugged sort of track to a high ridge on a freezing July morning. Once being jettisoned, getting onto those three pigs only 400M into our hike...

I remember giving you the 'shut up and stand still fist' signal as I had the lead, coming up to that rise where they were resting up... I had smelt the buggers a few meters before and got another strong whiff just before we rose up over the slight rise.

Seeing our targets, dropped the first pig, then the second as it ran left a second or two after the first shot. Watched you drop the third well and truly on it's way with a cracking shot as it tore of through the trees... Bloody awesome kick off for the day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	5 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	322666

That's 'severals' Howa sitting on it’s bi-pod at the rear and I holding my little Ruger Gunsite (naked apart from some digi-cam gause wrap) that brought deliverance to the pork.

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post
                  Cheers Adam.

A fond memory for me was that first time you and I got bounce around in that station truck, up a rugged sort of track to a high ridge on a freezing July morning. Once being jettisoned, getting onto those three pigs only 400M into our hike...

I remember giving you the 'shut up and stand still fist' signal as I had the lead, coming up to that rise where they were resting up... I had smelt the buggers a few meters before and got another strong whiff just before we rose up over the slight rise.

Seeing our targets, dropped the first pig, then the second as it ran left a second or two after the first shot. Watched you drop the third well and truly on it's way with a cracking shot.as it tore of through the trees... Bloody awesome kick off for the day.

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	5 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	322666

That's 'severals' Howa sitting on it’s bi-pod at the rear and I holding my little Ruger Gunsite (naked apart from some digi-cam gause wrap) that brought deliverance to the pork.

Yeah, that was a good time. The first time I’d ever seen a human hunting by scent. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by several View Post
                    Yeah, that was a good time. The first time I’d ever seen a human hunting by scent. 😁
                    It's a skill I honed all those years working Nightclubs...

Nah. (Well, maybe a little.) Animals have very distinctive scents. Get to know and recognize them, picking them up on the wind, on foliage or off the ground (you should be able to, as it's preferable you are heading into or across wind). You will then find the freshest droppings and prints... Sending you in the right direction for success.

Mask your own scent. I do it by sitting in wallow, urine patches and rubbing fresh dropping on my trousers... There ears are like radar dishes and those nostrils are huge.

Remember that same day you headed down the gully on a lower trajectory and I headed higher up to the top of the ridge further away, then down. I came across you later and further down the gully from the ridge I was on because I smelt cigarette smoke. I looked down into the gully through the trees and there was me ol' mate 'several'.... Casually leaning up against a tree having a 'dart'.

If blessed we are born with 5 basic and predominant senses but we actually have at least 9...

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post

It's a skill I honed all those years working Nightclubs...

Nah. (Well, maybe a little.) Animals have very distinctive scents. Get to know and recognize them, picking them up on the wind, on foliage or off the ground (you should be able to, as it's preferable you are heading into or across wind). You will then find the freshest droppings and prints... Sending you in the right direction for success.

Mask your own scent. I do it by sitting in wallow, urine patches and rubbing fresh dropping on my trousers... There ears are like radar dishes and those nostrils are huge.

Remember that same day you headed down the gully on a lower trajectory and I headed higher up to the top of the ridge further away, then down. I came across you later and further down the gully from the ridge I was on because I smelt cigarette smoke. I looked down into the gully through the trees and there was me ol' mate 'several'.... Casually leaning up against a tree having a 'dart'.

If blessed we are born with 5 basic and predominant senses but we actually have at least 9...

yeah still being very new to chasing pigs at the time, I did get to learn the smell of them.

I just remembered my sons learners permit will be expired now he’s 18, time he went and became a man.

Comment

Daughter got her minors licence in the mail today, not bad only took the registry a month to process.

Comment

Working...
                        X