Rolling again... 2021 ‘New Boots and Panties’.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by magoo View Post
    ... besides the thread won't go anywhere for a few weeks when Herne goes hunting again..
    Not long now 'Magoo'. You'll know when because the last page of this thread will be getting a good dose of 'wire-brush and Detol'... But until then I'll leave the fall out of a fairly simple question open for conjecture.
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• Having to pull up my ‘roll out’ last weekend to some rather heavy rainfall in the area. An unheard of 240mm
      in a week in the Kingdom Ponds area. The ‘Gods’ smiled upon us all week and eased up with us and the sunshine came out to get me on ‘The Roll’ again...

This weekend, “‘I’ve got a lovely pair of Coconuts’’... To zero check.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	324470

Two shots two Samoans down ...

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	324471

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-4.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	324472

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• ‘The Dennis’ has come in from that long run up of his and sent down another ‘scorcher’ up rooting middle stump again...

Name:	3E951D16-9521-4E34-93D1-16C227A9153B.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	324453

7 from seven outings ... Can he make a triple hat-trick?

Got a big hike down and out steep gully following a creek line... I’ve been told there’s pigs around.

Comment

• Good stuff Herne.
          nice looking hide too
          Go hard or Go home.

Comment

• I’ll give you a run down when I’m home ‘Sparts’ me old...

It was a long hard earn today mate and had to deal with weather and terrain for 11 hours... Still another good result and my bowling average continues to progress.

Comment

• As I mentioned earlier 'Sparts', it was a fairly hard earn this weekend and it rolled like this...

After some fairly decent rainfall, some flooding and busy weeks at work prior, I got to head out Friday morning leaving Sydney from site about 11:00 HRS. I had pretty much been packed a week and a half ago but the torrential rain had ceased any chance of rolling then. Getting into Scone to grab the last bit of 'tucker' for the icebox around 14:00 HRS, it is a beautiful clear day but stinking hot and humid... Still, looking good for the next days hike.

I'm up early as usual and ready to bounce kitted up and zero checked Friday evening. The skies are no longer clear like the day before and a heavy fog blankets the area. Still, considering the weeks of rainfall prior it's not surprising and are expecting it to burn off from the get go of sun rise... I use this time to hike out and get myself high in my chosen area, using the blanket of fog as good cover for a more direct route.

I tab out at 05:30 HRS and by 09:00 I'm well and truly in high ground but it's still very foggy with visibility a very short range. As I get to a high clearing close to where I'll enter a wooded gully to the south west...

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.0 KB ID:	324474

Looking to the Skies I watch it thin a bit but then roll thick again. I've been on the go for 3 and a half hours, so decide to take a rest have a snack and a little nap to wait out the mist... Waking just under an hour later to some blue sky, warm sun on my face and a clear view in front of me.

It's on! I slip down just into the tree line heading south west, moving slowly and quietly into the on coming breeze. If I get onto something now it will be having 'spooked' it up from it's own lay up position... About an hour later that's exactly what happened.

I hear a rustle behind a small thicket to my left and some hooves clop away then stop. Slowly I round the bushes obscuring my view and sneak a peek between a break in some branches... There he is standing looking back in the waste high shrubs to his resting spot. I'm not in a good or totally clear firing spot yet, so crouch lower , easing out using the waist height cover of the grass.

He's standing still, looking back in to the position from where he came at full alert about 50M away. He's a bit front on to my line of fire but as I slowly rise to take aim, he turns side on registering my image has that moment of hesitation... Now! 'The Dennis' barks short and sharp. I watch him jolt and fall under impact and listen to him roll down the gully a little.

I'm stoked. It was a great close encounter with another great result. But not as close an encounter I was to experience later the afternoon on my hike out...

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-7.jpg Views:	9 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	324476

To be continued...

Comment

• Great write up Herne with even better results.
                Do you get to scone via the buckets way.?
                I was working up at Gloucester on thurs and Friday.
                the weather was miserable
                Go hard or Go home.

Comment

• Buckets Way? No way... The Hunter Express Way from just before Wallsend.

The only time I get anywhere near the Buckets Way is if I’m heading from my hunting spot over the Barrington’s
                  to the farm at Bunyah... It’s an unfortunate road and unfortunately pretty much the only way into Gloucester from the south.

Comment

• G'day Herne, was keen to read more and now more so for what you later encountered.

The deer looks in great condition for good eating as they seem to be at this time of year.
                    And a hide worth tanning.

More like the forest encounters that always kept me going back.
                    I try to stay in super slow stealth mode now for a chance of one standing and looking, rather than bolting.
                    Seems to work as a couple of roo's have near bowled me over.

I was waiting for the mud to dry a bit for one last return to my fav spot hoping the deer have also started moving around there again.
                    It's a great spot as there is a slight elevation advantage and some semi-clearing for a more conventional longer deer hunting type of shot opportunity.

As Bathurst was dry while we still had rain, it may be dryer out there and worth a look on Wed if it holds off.
                    Will just do a quick early walk in and out, then do this other track as I have to find other spots if they have moved.
                    Both spots that I can park just off the good main roads and not risk getting bogged.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20211206_070845.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	324484 this morning going to work rocked up in the driveway and low and behold this young fella hanging out with the cows

yeah it's a filthy bit of rd that buckets way
                      Go hard or Go home.

Comment

• Originally posted by magoo View Post
                        G'day Herne, was keen to read more and now more so for what you encountered.
                        Sorry for the late reply ‘magoo’. Been ‘Uber’ busy over the last month...

In short: Coming down that gully on my way out after ‘bagging and tagging the young deer I shot. The side of the gully I was exiting from has decent pockets of Bracken and BlackBerry that have plenty of animal tracks and pathways through them. I was using these to make my way out... Hoping to come across another deer laid up amongst it.

As it happened I came across one looking down from an elevated position amongst it all higher....

The going was hard and I was getting caught up on spikes and thorns as I was making my way through to cleared areas. Obviously he was aware there was something moving above and north of him. So I stood fast watching him decide which way to head to be alone...

Being elevated and looking directly into a cleared opening from cover. Was hoping he would head upward toward the clearing... He did!

Awesome! Expecting him to meander past the track opening to clearer ground, I waited patiently...

20-30 minutes later I figured he had changed direction and wasn’t going to follow his original path. So, I started to move further down the track between the Bracken and BlackBerry and bugger me days! If I hadn’t told only gone 5 or so metres from my hold up position. Did I here a clambering and rustling behind me...

Quickly turning on my heals, floundering to kept a good foothold and raise my rifle... All I caught was a glimpse of an arse and tail disappearing into the scrub not 12 feet behind me!

I reckon our stand off for the 20 or so minutes prior would have been within 5 to 10 metres apart but hidden from each other....

Ive just arrived out here again this arvo and have just come in from doing s ‘reccy’ from the other side of the gully onto that area of Bracken and BlackBerry.... Getting ready to hike out January 1st 2022.

The new boots of 2021 are now well worn and the lace from the panties is a title worse for wear from wiping my Brough during some outstanding hikes last year...

HAPPY NEW YEAR Fellas.... HERNE wishes you all well.

Look for the new thread and here’s hoping ‘The Dennis’ goes 8 from 8... He’s still bang on the coconuts with my ‘Z-check’ earlier this arvo.

Name:	35028740-5BE0-4C10-86C9-BD14736C2FEC.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	324719

Name:	BF7B82E1-95C4-46E3-90C2-53BD4EBCA60B.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	324720

Comment

Working...
                        X