Rolling again... 2021 ‘New Boots and Panties’.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not anything of real significance 'Sparts' me oll mate. Variables in flavour/taste would be slightly more noticeable across age, size, prep and diet. 'Reds' being a bigger deer you may find the meat a little more 'grainy' like I've found with older Fallow Bucks and Beef. They also have a tendency to hold a little more fat. A fresh, well butchered cut of Venison shouldn't be that gamey either. Remember the three P's for the best taste and do all three well... Pick your animal, place your shot and prep.
    We eat a bit over the Winter months. Some tastes better than other... I blame the 'Cook'.

Anthony's 'S12As' Red was a decent haul of meat which we did a fairly decent sort of job field quartering. But black polyps were found around some internal organs, so ended up being dog tucker. I haven't come across something like it again. But if someone could enlighten me... It would be appreciated. Especially if the dogs got lucky.

Below picture is of a Deer Farm at the base of the Taurarua Ranges in 'K1W1land' close to where I grew up. The variables in this scenario could not be discerned...

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg Views:	2 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	321084

Neither could your hatchery type Eel you had for entree from just a little further up the road...

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	321085
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Well there you go. I guess it's like beef in a way size age and gender all play a roll in it as apposed to breed.
      yeah the little sister breeds Rabbits mum cooked up 4 of them a month ago and 1 out of the lot was tough as never had one like it before.
      dont know what the difference was all the same age and ate the same food. It was a tough one that one.

yeah that's the go. When we went to the south island there were deer farms everywhere. Its was mad to see.
      they reckon there was a couple of deer farm up here on the mountain and the bottom of the market fell out so they just let them all go.
      thanks mate you can keep the eels
      Go hard or Go home.

Comment

There are a couple of Trout in that pic you know... Just for the more tender palate.

As for your 'tough bunny'... There may have been something going on with it's endocrine system.
        "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Now your talking.

when's your next rotation going to be mate?
          Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparta View Post
            Now your talking.

when's your next rotation going to be mate?
            18 days and counting...

Comment

I did my first Rabbits in bread crumbs shallow fried like I do fish pieces.
              They can be tough and gamey, veno shits on bunny and I have yet to slow cook either.
              Rabbits might be stew material unless they are young, or need to know how to cook them.

There is a thing that can happen but I can't find the info without reading hours of uni-type papers.
              Was going to ask Herne if it's ever happened.
              "muscle shrinkage" or "cold shrinkage"
              When you butcher a fresh animal before rigor starts and then chill it, the muscles can shrink and cause tough meat.

I would be a prime candidate but maybe the eski with a few frozen water bottles is not that efficient at chilling and avoids it.
              The last one, I cut the legs into muscle cuts and vac-packed and into the eski (chilly bin) and garage beer fridge a few hours later.

Eats great and I kept a package for 6 weeks without freezing and ate steak sangas to prove it for myself.
              Would be pissed if it all went tough.

Comment

'Magoo', from the time I field quarter something I've shot and got it back to base camp, cleaned it up some more before putting it all on ice in the dedicated 'Icebox' on the back of the truck, some hours have passed... Usually around 4-6 hours.

Once cooling in the 'Chully Bun' it sits on top of a bag of ice with one bag of ice free packed around it. I stash these bags of ice in the meat freezer where I am camped up until I need them. Then it could easily be another 24 hours plus before my meat is then prepped further for cooking and frozen at home... The 'Esky' only keeps things cool.

Comment

Yeah, the time is what would save most blokes from it happening and lots hang them.
                  Not like it's a 5 min job but I am cutting down to muscle cuts not that long after shooting.
                  The esky not being too cold prob saves me and lets it cool slow over some hours.

I missed the trout in the pic as I am with Sparta on eating eels and scrolled on.

Comment

Eels like Snakes are reactionary...

But cold water, stoney river bed Eels are quite nice... ‘Silver Bellies’ we use to call them.

Comment

Working...
                    X