Rolling again... 2021 ‘New Boots and Panties’.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magoo View Post
    Good info Herne and you should take Roberts out hunting again sooner than the 3-week cycle as it's a good time and lifes short.
    Also keen to see what it does side on a couple of times, not expecting it to hit like big Artie or Krusher Kleel, that's for the 30 cals and magnums.
    That it is 'Magoo' and I'm having a shit of a time with a client ATM so, have taken your advice and told the 'Good Wife'... I'm away again in two Fridays.

It is a good time, but to be honest there's not a lot of movement up there ATM. It is cooling down which is good and hopefully all this rain buggers off. I can easily do the cold but (like the deer), the wet stuff can really stuff up your day and game plan. I spent from 05:30 HRS to 14:00 HRS battling it the first day this time out which made for a very hard hike... Doesn't help that it's made me 'pull stumps' on things I need to get done up at the farm either.

So, 'The Ian' is my new BBF and I'm not going to argue or get too smart... You just need to ask Gary Jack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ian-roberts.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	320095

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

LOL, the Balmain boy would have deserved it, I met one of his mate's playing first grade with him at the same time from memory.
      Lived in a drug house with all the low hangers oners, and groupies that he whored out.

I won't be too surprised if the rut is a bit screwed up and different with the timing as the breeding pattern may still be drought-affected.
      Lucky the rain came as it may get them breeding up if they stopped dropping as many fawns, would make next year a good one if it's the case.

Even Profty (Aussie Bush Harvest) youTube state forest legend mentioned it seems to have changed and I am not sure if his recent big-headed mature buck was full hard antler or not yet scraped off. He lives much closer to the forests than me and just about lives in them, even working in them now.

I was so lucky as I drove through rain and fog but my walk was dry, took the jacket but left it in the car. Drive home was wet again.
      Will try and time the right weather day and check out the other nearby spots early next, hard enough finding my entry points in daylight but I marked it on the Hema map in the car and not much car traffic going in there by the looks so it may be just deer movement getting me, or quiet like you are finding.

Great results with the long-range hunting Adam and the Accubond is what I would use for that if I did it.
      The drop on the spot thing with the smaller cartridges could be a bit of placement luck, not that you need it, by the looks.
      Top of the heart and major arteries should be instant, and the neck shots.
      My high boiler room shots would be lungs and a bit slower acting at a guess.
      Prob less likely to get that shock death like bigger cals.
      The Swede and Woodleigs will do me for now but the 3 Reds I seen up close were much bigger animals although someone that knows told me that they are soft.

Comment

'Magoo', Roberts was still quite young at the time, really coming into his own on the field as a first grade player and well onto his way to regular representative 'footy'. He's a fuckin' huge bloke in person, fit and lean. There had been numerous rumours floating around the clubs as to his persuasion. 'The Balmain Boy' got wind of it and presumed it a weakness, sledging him all game. Unfortunately for him, he got absolutely pummeled by a 'poof'... Which in turn absolutely backfired on him on many levels.

I'll be heading East again next time a little further out and up. They'll be there because like Ol' mate last weekend they like their spots and 'tucker'... Ol' mate had a weakness for Wild Passionfruit.
        "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Yeah mate, it saddened me when it came out, he was a goer.
          Funny, as the only time anyone seen someone go punch for punch with a mental bloke in our mates circle was with a gay dude in Darlinghurst.
          Old Mental was the only one to end up in jail as the assault charges built up on him, even in those days when fighting was allowed.

It's a strong rumor that Valentino Rossi bats for the other side and has been with the gloves man who has worked up the team ladder "Luccio"
          They have padded together in the motor homes for many years now and I suspect the glamor girlfriends are just a once-a-year press thing.

I should just keep going back to my deer spot as someone just posted photos of what I found in that bedding area.
          It was Red stag shit when they do clumps of pellets stuck together, may have been the previous day as it was fresh but not glistening wet fresh.
          It's good deer country with about head high brush type bushes and you can walk and approach but sort of lose the slight elevation advantage and end up level and close to them so still not easy.

Will have to start sending emails to Browning, Winchester and our importers about the 6.8 Western.
          Could be a medium-weight rifle as I don't have to walk that far for both spots that I have the reds and sign.

Comment

Hook in 'Magoo'... Be great to see you come up trumps.

Don't be sad mate. I think Roberts was pleased to come out and get it off his chest. Ran into him a decade on in a gay nightclub doing a CP job for an 'A-Lister' on a trip to Sydney. Still an impressive sight. Even bigger with more 'Show Pony' muscles, leather jeans, no shirt. But quite out of his 'gourd'... I won't elaborate further.

Number 46. No! Surely not? I'm still at a loss Stoner's health demise.

I'll be going the 6.8 Western if it kicks off for sure... I reckon it's a goer for deer hunting.

Comment

Yeah, gotta be out there to get the morning when the stars line up in the forest.
              I can sneak up to this spot as I did for the missed offhand shot on the Fallow does.

It was diff times back then in my low to mid 20s.
              I reckon Roberts would have towered over me and I am 6' 2", made him look very lean but the bigger old footballers all bulk up with fat later in life.
              Now days it's OK to be gay but if you are a white Aussie bloke that shoots guns, lookout.
              You can have the gay bars and my leathers were to protect my ass, not let it hang out like Ians.
              I only ever seen the dykes on bikes on TV, my bad mates would have bashed me if I saw the Mardi gra in real life LOL.
              Some younger workmates went and one got stabbed in the leg.

Rossi's partner is the tubbier bloke who he handed the gloves and crap to after the races.
              They are very careful to never cuddle or do the tap on the ass as all the others do.
              I watched closely on the night that may have been his first win after a long long spell when he was lucky if he got on the podium.
              You could see the emotion in that cuddle and the only time I have ever seen them make much contact.
              Can't see them ever coming out of the closet as they seem to have been in there for so long now.
              Their girlfriends for the big night out do's are supermodel types and I bet they are paid well for it and their silence.

Yeah, I only know Stoner had one of those conditions that leave you too fatigued to do anything.
              He seems to love his life with the kids, playing on his property, and doing holidays.
              It wouldn't surprise me if he played a big part in helping the team get the Ducatis ridable again for Dovi and the others like Miller who is growing very professional now.

Not just the test rider role that Stoner was doing, but he got on very well with one of the big old Italian team bosses and may have got through to them to make changes and stop the front end washing out at the drop of a hat. No one else could get them to do anything.

The RPM show on tv did a very good special episode on Stoner's career with some bits with his parents, never heard much from his old man before.
              I kept it on my hard drive and it may have been early Covid when all the racing stopped.

Comment

Rotation II:

Second hit out was delayed a week due some pretty 'rat shit' weather and my father-in-law Ben, passing away the morning I was set to leave. With such a busy week and the sun eventually showing itself, Friday came around quickly and I was already packed ready to go...

My intentions were to leave at 12:00HRS but this did not happen being caught on site until 15:00HRS finding myself a little rushed and in heavy Friday traffic on the M1. To top that off there was a truck accident heading up the Northern side of Mooney Mooney Creek bridge that had traffic at a stand still and eventual crawl for an hour.

Once cleared it was travel as usual but that hour had deprived me of my Singleton 'pub counter' feed. I still had a couple of supplies to get in Scone before my drive in off the New England Highway a little ways past Burning Mountain only to be 'ankle tapped' again with night road works from North of Singleton to Camberwell... I rolled onto site a little before 22:00 HRS pretty 'shagged' but safe.

Time for a quick beer with my host who had 'necked' a few waiting for me to arrive and ready myself to hike out at 06:00HRS. I've got a huge hike planned that will have me nearly circumventing the entire Eastern side of the property. The Eastern side has some of the steepest most rugged gullies and the day won't be an easy stroll. I had been hitting the Western side hard for the previous 18 months Dropping my first Buck for the Season and blooding 'The Ian' going East 4 weeks ago... I've devised a plan to head East for the best part of this year.

After 5 hours of hiking and enjoying my trek but seeing nothing, not even the usual signs, I stop for a bite to eat and soak in the view across the area to the South East. Being an hour off midday decide my 'window' has well and truly closed, opt to take a nearby gully out that has me on a direct trajectory to base camp... Still as quicker as it is, I take my time and get back at 14:00HRS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	320567

Feeling dissatisfied with the mornings 'dry root', decide to head out again for a quick late afternoon climb a little further South but East again. Set myself up with high cover over looking a nice grassy area... I'm hoping it's just as enticing to my quarry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	320568

Nope, nothing! The sun is settling fast and I need to get myself out before it's 'lights out'...

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	320569

Comment

Up early after getting good sleep. Yesterdays, more than a good few K's and 12 hours of trudging with no joy, I feel the urge to head heading East again this morning. I put myself on a path that will take me to a high dam between my entry point the day before and where I was parked late that arvo... Because I'm on a bit of a mission I'm at my desired location fairly early.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.6 KB ID:	320571

My intentions are to head through the tree line and swing back down just this side of the ridge line you see in the above photo. Not long after and a short ways into the trees line... Success!

Click image for larger version  Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	320572

'The Ian' is two from two and is now sitting on a 'hat trick' coming into Rotation III with this ol' boy down...

I came across him wandering home to bed a little aloof after a night of 'shagging' or 'scrapping' a little worse for wear. I had 'clocked' ol 'Blondie' on a few occasions on my hikes previously over the last two seasons but West... I believe I was being guided by a hidden hand this time to persevere this weekend and be ultimately rewarded.

We bury (cremate) my Father-in Law tomorrow... This Buck is my dedication and gift to Ben for his journey to 'Valhalla'.

PAX.

Comment

nice one Herne.
                    very nice.
                    taken with the creedmoor?

Comment

• HERNE
                      HERNE commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep... ‘The Ian’.

Until that Browning Mountain Pro in 6.8 Western shows up, I only have one dedicated deer hunting rifle...

Weird how it all goes sometimes mate, got the White one, and now it is of more significance.
                    I had a feeling you may have been out and was careful not to scroll too far when reading.
                    Slow hunt and then getting the classic one, great stuff.

I cancelled last week in case the roads have bad damage, the tar ones are the worry as I sneak in the short back way at the forest.
                    Was a worry as blokes are booking the forests out but and the rut is when no one will get to hunt with all the false bookings.
                    Think I got Tues and Wed to choose and will cancel so someone else gets in on the other day.
                    Then it will book out but I got another mid-week around the 14/4.
                    TBH, I will be happy just to see something as the chopper shooting and feed may have them hiding.
                    Would be fantastic to hear croaking and put a stalk in.

After all the bad stuff settles, could you post up the details of how it went down.
                    Sounds like you wouldn't have heard any croaking.
                    Was the shot placement great or just fair to middling?
                    Did Ian hit like he used to?
                    Will of course need all details like shot distance and anything I have forgotten to ask LOL.

Stumbled on a new 6.8 Western vid but he sounds a bit too good to be true, who knows.
                    He said it had more terminal velocity than a 7mm rem mag at 500yds.
                    Also said he shot that good brown box ammo using the tipped 175gr Game King pills through the chrono and the box figures were pretty well right.
                    Can look up the ammo and see the speeds.

Did another ammo prepping run and seen a normal Hells Canyon on the wall, doesn't look heavy, pretty light looking really and seeing lots of the clean round muzzle breaks on bigger cals so could be lucky there as well.

Comment

Very nice Herne. He's a great looking buck.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.
                      Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Hope things go well for the family tomorrow mate
                        Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

• HERNE
                          HERNE commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Cheers mate... Tell you all about it in July.

👍
                        Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Working...
                        X