Rolling again... 2021 ‘New Boots and Panties’.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling again... 2021 ‘New Boots and Panties’.

Up and rollin’ again after finishing off a pretty uneventful last few months of last year, with some borrowed gear... And only one deer dropped with that ‘triple deuce’.

By Xmas, I had secured myself the last Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creed left for sale in Australia. A huge shout out to the boys at Nioa and Paul Britten for their most generous assistance to get ‘Hernester’ up and rolling again... The way he likes to.

Click image for larger version  Name:	35A0FC0E-E9E7-42C1-89CD-372710839172.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	320019

After a bit of setting things up on paper...

Click image for larger version  Name:	BBDCC7D1-CFDE-4C3C-9682-9C976C2590EE.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	320020

And the acid test off a paddock fence post...

Click image for larger version  Name:	6F6DC390-5A3B-49F6-AF3A-10AE8171D578.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	320021

Click image for larger version  Name:	4E4B8118-8EAE-40DF-A92D-C777A8332D12.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	320022

Found we were good to go, to hike out early Sunday morning....
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

May as well knock up a ‘Spag Bol’...

Click image for larger version  Name:	562827AF-B4CE-49E1-99B5-C33EE44892DD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	320024

Click image for larger version  Name:	3191196A-E49A-4DCD-BB64-8A99379E9A5E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	82.9 KB ID:	320025

Click image for larger version  Name:	E4DFC711-CA89-4FCF-B31C-11E2C5F561E5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	320026
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Sunday morning up early. But to some very shit weather...Oh well, it’s all part of it.

Here's a look at my entry point after a couple of hours soggy slog...

Click image for larger version  Name:	9808C56D-43FE-4458-8BAA-FABC8D5A4312.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	28.9 KB ID:	320028

Which got worse before it got better...

Click image for larger version  Name:	33B3558F-6EDF-4360-A382-4C6C81C1C67A.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	22.0 KB ID:	320029

When it cleared, found some game but not what I was after...

Click image for larger version  Name:	FB4A1320-680C-4DF8-9362-A32BFAAB065A.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	94.7 KB ID:	320030

Oh well, always tomorrow.

Comment

This morning the weather was better and headed East instead.... waiting for the Sun to brighten the day and clear the fog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8F9FDC01-A120-44CA-AF48-163A9EE4556A.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	320070
        And when it did.... Success!

Name:	1B09D167-EF94-459C-A124-DB24C4C3DC6E.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	320071

The Fieldcraft’s first outing and first blood.

A decent haul of Venison and another ‘crown’ for my dining table light.

Comment

10 bucks a kg for those goats
          a few grand there staring at you
          Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

A phone call was made and the where about and numbers were passed on... They will be loaded on a truck by the next time I get up there again in 3 weeks.

Theres just over twenty and young. Last time I was there late November I mentioned I saw 8 further up the mountain... Obviously they are enjoying their new found haven.

I only want one. This one..,,

Name:	190C2D79-B2F5-4F43-A7E6-40218BE4FD22.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	320035

Name:	321512C5-8EB0-4BA7-A6EF-4EF1F8B325F0.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	320036

Comment

Good stuff Hernemiester, did the Creed seem any less hard-hitting than the bigger cals?
              Did the buck run or drop on the spot?
              I know shot placement has a lot to do with it and you would need to shoot a few to decide, those deer have got some tikka as mine both ran a little way and one shot smashed ribs and turned the whole chest cavity to mush.

Have you got any photos coming?

I am doing a recon walk in the morning and last minute, I emptied the day pack into the big Exo mtn meat carry pack.
              Gotta be pretty lucky to get it dirty but that's forest hunting, also many more hunters getting into it now.
              I should start traveling to the better areas with fewer people but you have to put in the time to find game unless lady luck is with you on the day.
              Still a good day out and cooler weather expected so it should be good.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	BDB20D82-C2FC-4E2F-8394-102D52E94B9C.jpeg Views:	25 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	320039

‘Magoo’, you are a champion ol’ mate.., Always the right questions!

When setting up the rifle and zeroing the new round they way I do things. Sterile indoors 50M and then paddock adjustments on ‘combustibles’ like cans of ‘T-sauce’... I was impressed by the recoil, accuracy and what seemed to be energy @ just over 100M.

However, in the field and with a ‘real target’ with a very regular shot placement for me (I like to get within a ‘HERNE’ mile, within 200M), I had to walk a little ways mate....

Normally, using the 7mm-08 at such distances and same shot placement it would be a ‘shot’n’drop’ scenario, using the same brand of S/P ammo. The shot was taken little over 120M after I had been watching him for a little while. Seated using my knee for support. I gave him a whistle and as he fronted me... I let rip!

I did find some metal filings in the righthand ‘front wheel’...The rest is probably in the important soft bits beyond the chest plate.

What told me I had a good shot placement, was the fact that two Does came from the cover on the left and hesitated for a bit, before darting back to cover and away in the same way they came... Realising the immanent danger and ceasing of any movement by ol’ mate who had gone right.

I like the brand and the S/P’s for their extra penetration. I reckon I would have been looking longer with H/P’s. Still, I was looking when normally I wouldn’t be... It’s a minor adjustment and the same good result in the end.

Thank you for your input here. ‘Magoo’... Just not a ‘Target Tockley’.

Comment

I ask because I am always learning and wonder a bit on the 6.5s.
                  Best way to find out will be you as you have a dream Fallow property to hunt and shoot enough to get the findings.
                  I am thinking they will do the short death run when shot at much over 100 but those close shots of 40 to 80 yds, they may well drop on the spot.

My Swede is not really going any faster than my Creed so can't imagine it hits harder but could be wrong.
                  I am loading 140gr Woodleigh Protected Soft points and sending them close to max.
                  They are not for the tockleys, they would be better shooting Sierra Game Kings but I want to see a deer drop and that's where they excel.
                  The yanks love them and buy heaps.

Curiosity got the better of me and I am sighted in at 1.5" high at 100 with the Woodies going hard.
                  Also had to be sure of POI at close deer range as happens in the forests a lot.
                  I used my normal hand on tree support standing possie and aimed low on a solid 8" round rock from 40m.
                  Seen a piece of rock fly from my left eye and went to inspect.
                  It was split in 2 or 3 bits and I could see where the bullet sort of drilled or powered in about an inch before the rock split.

I reckon they will do the job and going to try and smash the shoulder if I get a supported shot opportunity.
                  Offhand, I will just come up the leg and let it off central mass to still get lungs if high and heart if low.
                  First and hardest plan is finding where the deer are as there is still SFA sign in my old spot.
                  Found some bedding marks like flattened long weedy grass crap unless the roo's do that as well.

Sat and watched the roos for as long as I could in case deer came out as well and one of the mad pricks looked like he was circuit racing with chicanes and all.

Comment

Nice going Herne.
                    your thoughts on the 6.5mm Hernemoor round?
                    (for your intended purpose,...general hunting within regular distances).

Comment

‘Gav’, I'll be honest with you mate. I wanted one in 7mm-08 as that round has a bit more punch over those distances. Unfortunately none were available and no longer will be. But the trade off has some advantages... And they relate to the rifle itself.

Now don't get me wrong about the 'cafe racer' of a round... I'm using it and will continue to do so.

The Barrett Fieldcraft is a very light carry at 4.5 pounds undressed, it is also quite short as well. The round suits it as it has less recoil than the 7mm-08. I still found it jumped a bit compared to the more stable but heavier weight and different stock shape of the Steyr Scout I was a custom to... A small nuance that will be easily sorted with familiarity.

The next few outings will be all about shot placement for that ‘drop shot’ scenario. This first kill shot being front on, had plenty of heavy solid bone and tissue to get through.... But it did.

I am a convert because I love the rifle and was probably the best (only) option available as a brand new unit. Compile that with Paul’s and Nioa’s $1,000 reduction off the $4,020 RRP to get me back in the game... I couldn’t look a 'gift horse' in the mouth nor refuse such generosity and a ‘good thing’.

It is definitely a 'range round' that can be used for practical hunting within decent but practical distances. In fact, as the ‘Target Tockleys’ jiz in each others ear over the next ‘whizz bang’ ballistically dynamic paper punching round to reload all ‘Gunny Beckett’ style...I reckon the ‘fagmore’ is the new .243 with a little more legs.

It will do HERNE in the interim until the 6.8 Western becomes the preferred choice of this genre.

They call the 6.5 Creedmore, ‘The Bieber’ round. HERNE calls it ‘The Ian Roberts’ round. Got a decent sort of punch but is a little...

Click image for larger version  Name:	6695E678-B394-40FF-BED6-EFC39310FC84.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	320079

Comment

Good info Herne and you should take Roberts out hunting again sooner than the 3-week cycle as it's a good time and lifes short.
                        Also keen to see what it does side on a couple of times, not expecting it to hit like big Artie or Krusher Kleel, that's for the 30 cals and magnums.

My Swede jumps and not exactly an ideal bench rifle, but it is a T3x and like carrying a 22. Don't matter much in the bush.
                        Shooting 140gr soft points pretty hot, it may well hit a bit harder than Ian and the lower BC hunting pills are not on long flights.
                        Still a 6.5 so not expecting 300WM performance.

My last deer was at about 200 and not a small one, still didn't run far.
                        The first one with a chest full of gel and bits of bone didn't run near as fast as his mates so I sort of knew I placed the shot OK.

Be sure to post up what the next deer does in detail as we can only find the facts from practical hunting blokes.
                        Won't learn much from the warriors spinning crap on facebook, can still hardly believe the nerds got news from there.

Comment

Nothing wrong with those 140gn PPSN at 6.5 Swede speeds. They hit and expand really well and are a great match for Fallow, Goats and smaller Reds at any useful hunting range.

In my 6.5x47 Lapua (precursor to the 6.5 Creed) I've taken a liking to the 130gn Accubond. Stupidly accurate and kills very well.

In my 6.5 SAUM after using the 130gn Bergers to very good effect

Name:	6.5 SAUM - Fallow.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	320091
                          I settled on the 142gn Accubond Long Range (ABLR) for a more consistent bullet at short and longer ranges. Since they launch at just a hair over 3000fps they hit really hard out to my self-imposed limit with that rifle of 500m. First round hits on a 4in gong tell me if I do it right, the rifle is certainly capable. Longest hit so far has been at 320m, uphill across a gully which turned dropped them on the spot. Apparently the shockwave going through him was awesomely visible through binoculars. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002_conflict_(0).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	320089
                          This brown buck was 300m according to the laser, ran 20m in a circle with a bloody firehose coming out the exit wound. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000050.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	320090

My surprise package last year was the little 6.5 Grendel loaded with 100gn NBTs just under 3000fps. One flattened a mature doe at exactly 200m, specifically knocked her off her feet, dead right there with grass in mouth. Her youngster went next at 220m. The mature doe had a hole through the nearside leg, top of heart neatly separated from remainder and a nice exit wound on the far side.

The 6.5mm kills very well.

Comment

The Barrett is looking great, and clearly working like a charm. A great rifle you won't regret owning.

Comment

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
                              The Barrett is looking great, and clearly working like a charm. A great rifle you won't regret owning.
                              I don't think so either Adam.

During my first 'acid test' the round has impressed me somewhat. I did a bit of walking to find the remnants of that first little Tomato paste can... But the evidence of it's contence could be seen 5M up the dead trunk next to the stump it was sat upon.

I find the feel of the round in my hand different if not odd. Having had some decent boots to follow with the 7mm-08 I had humming and the .284 which was a real laser at 600M... Again it's just that familiarity thang.

Comment

Working...
                              X