Got back out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got back out there

With holiday crowds gone and the time of year I have shot all my deer, all 2 of them, I got off my ass and did the morning walk with the mighty Swede.
    Was a bit disillusioned and had a break after a few tries after lockdown as the deer were gone and no real sign.

Up at 3am and out the door a bit after 3.30 to be readying to walk at first light and all to plan apart from the windicator puffer telling me to go the opposite way, never had much luck that way once past the hot spot where I see them first with distance and slight elevation.
    Did see 2 does cross the main old track once with no time to shoot and it is great low shrubbery for deer to hide and can walk through easily.

Lots of green pick and moist underfoot. One of those days I could stalk the roos but went super slow and tried to keep them calm.
    One roo looked like it was going to run me down, I stood still and watched him happily hopping down the trail at me and he stopped about 3m and we just looked at each other. He gave this confused ear twitching pattern. Then he diverted around me.
    I sat and glassed and another one approached from behind and acted sort of the same.
    Shows that they also don't see the blaze Orange vest with Black camo lines.
    I feel the face cover and hat seem to stop them from recognizing me by the way they just stopped looked for so long.
    Have had the odd good stalking days but this is the best by far.

Continue stalking real slowly and as I exit the low brushes and scan around, ahead about 100m or a touch more in a dark treed area, it looks like the shape of a deer.
    It is a ____ deer and we are both frozen, staring at each other.
    There is a thin tree support, but to move now and I reckon that I will just see another deer sprinting away.
    I stayed still and did the reverse spin as the rifle was slung so as no waving barrel or high arm movements.
    Looked good sort of just forward of midbody but hey, I missed clean I think.
    Was 2 of them, small to medium-sized does and they both looked the same when running off so not likely was it hit.

First offhand practice just the other week and shot a bullseye at 100yds but it's too hit and miss.
    I feel confident for 50-60 yds and can smack clays with not many misses, which would be a boiler room kill shot.
    That's how it goes and great to be out there.
    Just seeing them is what kept me going back and will be back sooner rather than later now.

Maybe see the full mob from that vantage point next time.
    It would have been the same as the others if the shot was good, hunt done by 7.30am and leisurely cut and vac packed in the cool shade at the car.
    A few trips needed and a bit further to walk out.
    Trees down everywhere, the forest must have copped a storm but it keeps the poachers cars out.

Envious but you missed redneck, why....nobody misses in a good hunting story.
    Last edited by MrCarbine; 15-10-2020, 08:28 AM.
    If you're going through hell, keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Yeah, just how it went down, sure beats just seeing nothing though.
      With forest deer hunting, you have to be able to get the snapshot off.
      Thinking in hindsight, I should have just slowed the last second, breathed and squeezed it off.
      I think I may have snapped it off too quick, supported rifle shots are so much easier.

Watched a Bolt on vid and he said to practice rotating the rifle off the shoulder as your body obscures any hand movements and nothing moves vertical or high, only done it twice to practice but it is the go as that is the first deer to stand still when it was onto me.
      The vid also showed the elastic band around the scope so the bolt can close on a round with no noise or click.
      Far far better than that semi-closed bolt on a round and no-lose rattling bolt if it's bumped.
      The bolt is held ready to close and held with the band but safer as it is open rather than semi-closed.
      Can still eject and have a back up shot ready. I need to work on that as well rather than just watch what happens after the shot.

Had a plug in my left ear and no chance to fit the other one, getting used to it but not something I want to do regularly.

Comment

Bad luck with the shot, but seemed an interesting morning walk. Have you ever tried a shooting stick,(mono or bi pod) We brought one a couple of months back, but haven't used it as yet.
        How to make a small fortune out of farming?
        Start with a large one!

Comment

Great write up there Magoo.
          You can bid the mob good day ey.
          that's all part of it but good on ya for getting out there.
          Go hard or Go home.

Comment

[QUOTE=magoo;n317573]
            The vid also showed the elastic band around the scope so the bolt can close on a round with no noise or click.
            Far far better than that semi-closed bolt on a round and no-lose rattling bolt if it's bumped.
            The bolt is held ready to close and held with the band but safer as it is open rather than semi-closed.
            Can still eject and have a back up shot ready. I need to work on that as well rather than just watch what happens after the shot.

Another handy tip from the forum < a good reason to keep on keeping on reading when things are a bit slow hunting and gun wise >.
            This sounds like it would have worked well for the old single shot Omarks......keeping one up the spout wasn't easy with no spring from the magazine pressure under the round.....loading single from scratch was a bot slow at times
            .......A closed bolt on a round is just a bit much so the rubber band trick may well have been a good thing......A reason to like controlled round feeds ...... you can see that shell in there but its not home........only way to carry the 303 in the old days ...half locked and loaded

[center]
            Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Sticks are funny with me Ando as I can shoot better offhand so I just practice getting better.
              The trigger action 3 leg ones from eBay are much better and from a seated possie with their full adjustment, it's like have a shooting bench in the bush.
              A trick to make them even better is to place the sticks V back, just in front of the trigger guard as it gives a nice pivot point to change aim.

Just hope the mob has not been shot mate, I don't think so as I seen them and took one of them with near 2 years between drinks.
              They may get pushed around a bit by hunting pressure though as sign is not there.
              When I first found the area, there were scrapes all over the place, and found a couple of rubs.
              Later seen my first and only rutting buck, prob early as he was still switched on and no vocals, maybe what they are like in the forests.
              This forest is is one of the highest pressured places and close to Sydney.

That lazzo band is the best tip I have found on shitube as there is no noise or movement and not going to lose a round if it gets bumped open so you can sling the rifle. My mag only holds 3 and don't bother carrying spares to rattle in my pockets but 2 is a bit suss.
              I had to pick one up on the way back once, lucky I heard the bolt rattle and remembered to look.
              It may be called "Bolt Action". He seems to have a good straight forward Aussie attidude and a good bloke by the looks.
              He also showed how to stop the click noise from the safety, put your whole thumb pad over it with pressure rather than just click it off.
              Another tip that I am not so sure on, if any of you older timers than myself know, feel free to chime in.
              He strips and cleans his bolts with brake or contact cleaner that sounds normal, but he then uses "Zippo" lighter fluid for the protectant lube,I think.
              How flammable would that be and what is in it to lube and protect. Said he has done it for many years.
              I got a tin as it is $8, I expected 20, couldn't see the ingredients written on the can.
              I asked an expert about another product like that and said is it just silicon, he said they won't tell you what's in it.
              I replied, fine "I won't buy it then".

Comment

Here ya go maggo......find the english version and then open a PDF file to read all about it.

https://www.zippo.com/pages/safety-data

Theres more than one way to kill a cat besides F*&^%$ing it to death
                [center]
                Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

G'day Magoo. What with all the nonsense of '20 fucked up 20' going on, I managed to get a hike in a month ago with some borrowed kit... Man, it was good to get back into it.

I'm back up that mountain again this weekend and again with some borrowed kit (Tikka in Triple Deuce). But by the time it's time to head out at the end of the month, I should be carrying my new 'Mountain Rig'. You buggers are going to love this one... But with only one new one left available here in Aus, future production now ceased and 'Ozzies' review had me sold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da8xpUBJ-LQ

I'll keep you posted as to how this weekend pans out fellas and keep up the good work 'Magoo'.
                  "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Hey Herne, I know the feeling as it felt great just being out there and didn't see a human, it's been a while but I might do it again next Thursday. If not, the following week as early as possible.
                    I felt pretty sore and sorry but pulled up fine in the morning after a proper night of sleep to make up for the 3hrs before the hunt.

My old target tockly friends will think I have gone walkabout so I best show my face on Tuesday. Can check the Swede is still on zero but it never seems to move.

I searched out Aussies review on the rifle you said you wanted and it was impressive.
                    Did you find a 7mm08 or settle on another cal?

I can't wait for him to test my CZ 22mag as it will give me a good indication of how they shoot.

Comment

No mate only three left in Aus for sale that we could find...

.243 Second hand in Qld, .270 New in box in Vic and Nioa had one left in 'Creed'... So I settled and quickly.
                      "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Well I could be wrong, but you don't need a .270 for Fallow and used banana guns have a bad rep, so you are going to grow a manicured lumberjack beard right.

Will never forget going to an inner Sydney suburb bike show to see for my self, the best examples of those city rat bikes they build, forget what they are called. I could only have 1 beer as it was hard to hold back the smile and I could have got bashed.
                        7 out of 10 blokes had the beard that must have been maintained by a top-class hairdresser and their T-shirts and flanos looked brand new from a fashion shop.

Instead of staying for the bands, I did a LONG walk back to Central.
                        Hard on the feet that concrete, had to stop for a feed and then a beer, must have been a 2hr trip or more.
                        Interesting checking out the old buildings and stuff but I reckon walking offroad is much easier.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	317595

Yep... 'Creedmore'.

Comment

Yeah Herne I recently weakened & took the plunge & purchased a Tikka Varmint in 6.5 "Fagmore" currently running a starting load of 29.5 grains of AR2209 behind a 140 grain Hornady ELD Match with Peterson Brass ( small primer pocket) & shooting reasonable groups at 200 & 300 yards but will experiment with other loads/powders in future but at present fairly happy with how rifle is shooting.( The Peterson brass with the small primer pocket is equivalent quality to Lapua but much cheaper)
                            Faster Horses
                            Younger Women
                            Older Whiskey
                            More Money

SSAA N52

Comment

‘Sprint’. I’m going to go with ‘Ozzies’ video review recommendation and half inch group with Hornady 129 gr SST factory ammo... Not wanting to reload myself.

The new rifle will sport a ’Leupy’ VX3 3.5 -10 CDS ZL scope.

It seems society and our community across the board wants us to ‘Fag-more’ these days.​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X