Trapping fox in suburbia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trapping fox in suburbia

Away on holidays with kids at holiday house near beach on Central Coast NSW. Have been missing shooting and what I like the most, getting rid of foxes.

Sitting around playing cards with kids after dinner and see a young fox sniffing around our BBQ. Thing looked pretty stupid.

Ran off and come back a couple of times. Told girls we would try and make up a trap next day.

Did the old MacGyver thing (for you younger buggars this is who I am referring to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088559/ )

Found bits and pieces and wired a couple of furniture boxes together, found a chair with a hinged base as a trap door, carton of beer on top for counter weight and pull cord manual release. Didnt have time to make automatic (bait setting off a trigger) plus we were confident in seeing it.

Here is silly trap

Trap door (chair base) closed

Sat around playing cards again. Sure enough the little vixen came around. Followed food scent into trap, pull door and whack got her. She didnt seem to realise she was trapped, busy eating food.

Little vixen (gave her a plastic handle to chew on to keep her calm).

I was going to wait till morn and call ranger to take her away and dispose of her, but she started getting stressed and damaging trap (furniture) so I quickly, painlessly disposed of her without the kids around.

Vromme 1
    Foxes 0

Good work on the makeshift trap with MacGyver skills.

Comment

************************************************** *******************************

Vromme, good catch with bits and pieces around the holiday home.

Your a true conservationist mate, even on family hols !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks...

************************************************** *******************************

Comment

• Greenwich-biker
        Greenwich-biker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the photos

I didn't realize their eyes were more feline than canine

Nice work mate.
      Tomorrow you should throw in the clothes line and coffee table and another carton of beer, and try for a pig. :P

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
        SmoothOperator_87 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great work

Success is imminent with MacGyver inspiration.

Well done

• 17Hornet
        17Hornet commented
        Editing a comment
        Outstanding !!
        :lol:

Edit - I just noticed the carpet in the capture box too

Originally posted by Needbiggertargets" post=44548
        Nice work mate.
        Tomorrow you should throw in the clothes line and coffee table and another carton of beer, and try for a pig. :P

Love it, did ya send it to Fox Rescue to see if they could revive it? :lol: well done mate.
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

• Vromme
        Vromme commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Varminator" post=44687
        Love it, did ya send it to Fox Rescue to see if they could revive it? :lol: well done mate.
        Love it. I should have called them to see if I could post her to them - in pieces.

Originally posted by Vromme" post=44529
      Here is silly trap
      Remember the old saying mate - If something is silly and it works, it ain't silly

Good work. I used to see the bloody things everywhere when I lived in Vic, living in drains, shrubbery, parks, factory and industrial areas, everywhere.
      If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Was visiting a mate in London a few years back and saw a fox in Clapham {about 10 km from Big Ben } . they adapted very well to city living get a big feed once a week on bin night !

Great work Vromme.
      From some of those pics you could almost see how those fox rescue people might think they could be pets... She's a bit of a cutie!
      Good work on the clean disposal, as much as we hate the bloody things, you don't want to make them needlessly suffer.

Cheers,
      Alex

Comment

Good work Mate. Waddaya reckon about stringing some fishing line from the trap release through the trap just before the food, as a tripwire? That way you could leave the trap unsupervised.
        "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Nicely done, here in Brisbane my old man had a few foxes break into the chicken coop and eat them so he set a few traps. Caught about 6 or so over a year from memory before another one got into the coop and ate all the chickens so he gave up.
          Always in need of just one more gun.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice job Vromme! How did you kill it?
        Working...
        X