Back Packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Packs

I recently purchased a large hunting pack so that I can carry my rifle and hunt at the same time.
    it is a Mystery Ranch NICE Overload Alpha BVS in Mulitcam. also with the NICE frame.
    http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/weapons-carry-packs/nice-overload-alpha-bvs-pack

This pack is way to large for my needs, and cost me $900.00
    that will teach me for not checking into them before I buy.

Im after a new type of pack for low level carriage at field that I can attach a rifle to maybe and my sord pod.
    can anyone shoot me any recommendations on what to get for the future

Also Im thinking of selling / trading it let me know if anyones keen its brand new still.

$900 for a back pack what a rip off, try www.eberlestock.com absolutely great packs and many of them have a built in rifle scabbard

Comment

• GD308
      GD308 commented
      Editing a comment
      $900.....,,,.wow..

Mate for a hunting pack I'd seriously take a look at Eberlestocks x3 low drag pack. Awesome piece of equipment and it's the perfect size for a day pack.
    Another one to look at would be Eberlestocks gun runner, slightly smaller too.
    I've been using the x3 for a while now and love it to death. I'll post some pic's up of mine when I get time.

Oh and dammmm that's a huge pack!!!!

Comment

Can't for the life of me figure out why you'd be out hunting and have your rifle attached to a pack... thats whats hands are for. Would someone care to elaborate on this?

My go-to day pack is a platatac spur tropical, carries all the stuff I'm prepared to carry for a day.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Win88" post=42556
        Can't for the life of me figure out why you'd be out hunting and have your rifle attached to a pack... thats whats hands are for. Would someone care to elaborate on this?

My go-to day pack is a platatac spur tropical, carries all the stuff I'm prepared to carry for a day.
        I use an eberlestock gun runner with as scabbard - for me whether or not the rifle ends up in the scabbard depends on how far I need to walk, how heavy the rifle is and how bad the terrain is. There's basically no method that's more comfortable to carry a rifle a long way (or through back country terrain) than in a pack.

my 'long range' rifle is also quite heavy (10.8lbs fully loaded) - helps with long shots. If it's all open country and long cross gully shots etc is the perfect solution imo

Hey Win88, I'd carry my rifle 70% of the time, 20% using the sling & 10% in the scabbard when scaling steep or slippery terrain.
      When I go hunting I put my rifle in the scabbard throw it in the hilux and go. I don't own a rifle bag believe it or not.
      I do own Pelican cases for when my rifles need to travel in the back of the ute and need the extra protection.
      Rifle scabbards do come in handy from time to time.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by 8Ball" post=42571
        Hey Win88, I'd carry my rifle 70% of the time, 20% using the sling & 10% in the scabbard when scaling steep or slippery terrain.
        When I go hunting I put my rifle in the scabbard throw it in the hilux and go. I don't own a rifle bag believe it or not.
        I do own Pelican cases for when my rifles need to travel in the back of the ute and need the extra protection.
        Rifle scabbards do come in handy from time to time.
        I'll go with that, I did a bit of carting a HB around the high country a while ago, but was never more that a few clicks from the ute, so travelled light in every other way and kept it in my hands for the quick shot. Horses for courses I suppose.

I do have some commercial dealings with the suppliers and designers of this pack, offering design consulting and end-user experience. So please take that into consideration.

The Overload is actually designed as a weapons carrier for those who may have to carry two rifles - a sniper weapons systems (sniper rifle) or mortar tube or what have you.

I've spoken to the designers (I try to catch up with them whenever I'm in the States), and they tell me for hunting use, it's designed for those hunters who are climbing mountains or other rough terrain to reach their intended prey. So that the rifle is stored in the scabbard, and then held in the hands when transit is completed and the real hunt begins.

For the military end-user, this pack has just entered service into the ADF as a sniper pack - I was fortunate in being to catch up with the sniper cell of 1RAR. Those blokes are currently carrying a mandated 60kg load, with SWS (7.62 SR-98 or .50cal AW50) in the pack, and an F88 in their hands. The Overload is seen as a Godsend by them.

I've used more than a few packs over the years (all the issue [email protected], ALICE, civvy hiking packs of all descriptions, and Mystery Ranch) with some significant time long distance walking, and can tell you, that whilst MR is spendy, you do get what you pay for in terms of design and materials. The load transferrance due to the ergonomics for the MR line is one of the best I've come across in the industry. The major reason that their gear is so expensive? Because you're paying a real live westerner (just like you and I) to sew, they also employ a lot of wounded veterans. Not some dodgy Chinese worker in a sweatshop.

In terms of the comparison with other industries, I'd put ADF issued items, like the Land125 ALICE copy, and the '94 pack before that as a Trabant, or other cheap and nasty Combloc car.
      You can put other designs and brands as equivalent as Commodore/Ford, serviceable, basic, and they work. Most people would have no real need or desire to go beyond this.
      Mystery Ranch and other high-end pack makers like Kifaru, sit as the top of the line Mercedes or a other high end luxury car.

Expensive, yeah. But if you're doing serious work, in a professional setting, then get the best available.
      For people like myself, who have accumulated a few joint injuries from our time in the service, this high-end gear is essential for injury mitigation and management so I can continue to enjoy the outdoors.

Hope this helps illuminate a few things for you blokes.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Forward!
      Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

Pictures to come as promised

....hope they attach o.k.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06132.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	54316

Name:	DSC06134.JPG
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	54317

Name:	DSC06135.JPG
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	54318

Name:	DSC06137.JPG
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	54319

Name:	DSC06131.JPG
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	54315

Comment

Name:	DSC06140.JPG
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	54321

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              What brand /model is that beauty 8 ball?
          Working...
          X