Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting in the drought

Hi All,

I'm thinking that will head out West for a few days with a mate to a paid hunting property. I realise that a lot of rural queensland is currently drought declared and I am wondering about people's thoughts on hunting drought affected properties. Has the drought been around long enough to substantially reduce feral numbers? What type of property should I be looking at at this time of the year, cropping, livestock or un-utilised scrub? Is there any particular way that I should be hunting, apart from hanging around water holes and carcasses? Anything else that I should know?

Cheers
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

I went up to the Burdiken recently, apart from a bit of poaching the property hadn't been hunted in 5 years. Reports of groups of 20-30 pigs reduced to about 10 pigs on the 20 acres or so we had access to. A few dogs and a couple of dingos was about it. We figured everything had moved further North into the tropics proper and will (hopefully) return after a bit of rain. If they do, I'll be waiting That was un-utilised scrub that had recently had cattle put on it to get the grass back down.

Farmed land might offer a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgunner" post=40222
      ...Is there any particular way that I should be hunting, apart from hanging around water holes and carcasses? Anything else that I should know?
      That sounds like a plan right there! When things are dry and there's not much standing water about then waterholes & dams are usually a sure bet; check the mud around the edges for fresh sign & if it's there then it's only a matter of time 'till they turn up. Once you get a bit of rain the dry creek beds start holding water and the springs start running and then things will start to get hard (or challenging depending on which way you look at it) because the plentiful supply of water starts to scatter the game all over the place instead of concentrating it in a few known areas.

One time that the onset of rain can be your friend though is if you're In a scrubby/forested area with dirt roads. Was up in the Pillega earlier in the year during a long dry-spell when the storm clouds blew in and it started to piss down with rain, and after a few minutes all the potholes and corrugations in the dirt roads started to fill with rainwater. Before we knew it we were swerving around all manner of wildlife from roos & emus to pigs & goats and everything in between, all of them flooding out of the scrub to have a drink on the road.

Comment

Pigs have no built in cooling system like humans sweating or dogs cooling via their tongues.

When it's hot the must have water, just to cool, let alone drink.

Comment

In times of drought a property with water is a must. Pigs, Goat, Roos will increase the size of their mobs and relocate to areas where water is close by. I have seen huge mobs of roos numbering in the hundreds in the Northwest Slopes and Plains region of NSW. I have sat in trees and seen mobs of 40 goats come in to a small water hole in the Pilliga forest and pigs will bed down a couple of hundred meters from a dam if the cover is good. Drought changes alot animals behaviour. Water is as important to an animals survival as it is to a humans.

Comment

All good so far though many don`t realize often what kills animals is not the lack o water but the heat added to the dehydration.
            Having seen roos dying in heaps on top of each other and not the brains to move to water less than 4 ks away on flat country as well they are Territorial and largely governed by food supply and moisture in the plants.
            All will appear like magic to a shower of rain on the road and go to long gone dry dams as well --they know their territory.
            After ten years of drought resident goats turned up in the same spots out of the more remote bush , skeletons with a skin on but alive no less.
            Roos especially the old bucks similar.
            Pigs I doubt but not having much to do with them do need water I believe.
            Cats do not nor do foxes but will move if the food supply and hence moisture runs out.
            Have seen cats the same way almost dehydrated to bone but wont leave their home territory.

I think its a bit of a fallacy to say animals pigs excepted will perish with out water though they will make use of it if they can.
            What is more likely is they become more concentrated on water and will appear to be in larger numbers.
            What is really happening is they are just more visible and feed more around water.
            The same happens with sheep and salty water supplies from bores -- the salt keeps them thirsty to the end result they won`t go out as far to feed and get weaker and some die.
            Give them good water and they will feed further out and survive longer unless extreme heat gets them.
            There is a definite pattern between resident and itinerant wanderers as well -- though its not well understood it is more likely due to disturbance and food supply.
            Removing the waters will effect the populations ##`S especially goats, and to a lesser extent roos, but no way known will it decimate them permanently
            [center]
            Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• fishphillott
              fishphillott commented
              Editing a comment
              Sent you a pm do it now or in the morning
          Working...
          X