Who here actually practices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here actually practices?

Its all good and well sitting on a bench in good conditions trying to get groups as tight as possible. But who here shoots in other situations as practice - trying to hone their skill?

What sort of practice do you do? Would like to get more ideas from people to see what else I could do.

I do several things to help improve my shooting, as I still think I have a long way to go to become consistently proficient.

I tend to dry fire at home when I get the chance (I live on farm, no neighbours and do it when no one is around). Ill dry fire in different positions, prone practicing trigger control, standing, sitting on ground and even sometimes on a chair practicing holding on target and trigger control.

From time to time Ill go out and shoot from different positions just to see what sort of groups I can get.
    - unsupported, standing kneeling and sitting
    - Sitting using bi pod
    - off car bonnet and roof (using bipod or max box)
    - out of car window
    Most of my target work/load development is done in prone so that is where I get the most practice and shoot most consistently.

I usually practice sitting, kneeling and freehand when I'm bored or got a bit of time. Most of the time its with the 22mag at 60 yards, lucky enough to have a bit of a range 20yards from the back door. Missus doesn't like the noise much so usually when she's in town.

Also practice sitting with the 308, I find this the most stable position apart from prone, but prone is not always an option when there's a bit of grass here.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      SSAA Field rifle is the bomb.

Standing, Standing Rapid fire, Prone and Kneeling !!

Something I know of but not much good at is 'hunting' from the time you leave the house or just before. In fact as I'm typing this, 4 starlings flew out of a tree 20m away, I didn't see them land there, iv been sitting here 20 min, They flew in without me seeing them! Many people have seen foxes in there back yard and frightened them off by opening the door. And walking to where I last saw the target, get there and it runs or flys off. It saw me, I didn't look for it and frightened it off! Too often that happens.

Comment

• Vromme
      Vromme commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by chewtah" post=39510
      Something I know of but not much good at is 'hunting' from the time you leave the house or just before. In fact as I'm typing this, 4 starlings flew out of a tree 20m away, I didn't see them land there, iv been sitting here 20 min, They flew in without me seeing them! Many people have seen foxes in there back yard and frightened them off by opening the door. And walking to where I last saw the target, get there and it runs or flys off. It saw me, I didn't look for it and frightened it off! Too often that happens.
      Not really sure what you mean, I assume youre saying that you tend to scare them off before you see them.

I think its interesting that intelligent animals like crows will sit around all day staring at you, but as soon a you pick up a rifle they are gone. Same with foxes, I have seen them out and about without a care in the world, looking right at me as if to say 'get lost this is my backyard'. But if you have a rifle in your hand they seem to bolt. I think many animals have an innate sense of danger. I am sure some of the time its not the rifle they are running from but the subtle/suspicious movements we make. If we are walking along minding our own business they tend to watch us, but if you start slowing down, stalking they bolt. Dogs (including your own dog) will do the same, walk up to it and pat it no dramas, sneak up to it/stalk it and he'll more than likely bark at you and get defensive or at least aroused.

I regularly practice sling offhand as this is my most used field position, and some kneeling. I use the bench to get whatever load testing or sighting I need done then finish off with some field practice.
    Maybe I should get into field rifle, my rapid offhand isnt bad, what rifle/calibres do you need to play??

Comment

• fishphillott
      fishphillott commented
      Editing a comment
      All my practice is out in the scrub actually hunting
      The big difference between shooting a target and living animals is that animals some time move unexpectedly
      Being able to read what the target species is thinking is just as if not more important being able to hit a fixed object

I printed off some rabbit targets from the SSAA website that I Will put up at 3 different distances and shoot from all different positions with the 22lr. Yet to do it but that's my plan
    It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

Comment

Offhand, 50 yards...this is where a red dot scope comes in handy. Make a quick decision. Every hunting situation is different though. That's just the way it is in my part of N/E Vic. Might be different where you are.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

well I'm hunting on average every second week end, then maybe shoot at a club in between those week ends.
        that's enough for me.

edit;......not that I'm as good as I should be.

Comment

• Gorgo
          Gorgo commented
          Editing a comment
          Most of my shooting is off-hand, mostly 50-100 yards. Usually, I'll also do some kneeling shots, different ranges.

Things I'll practice regularly: using a sling. I don't find them comfortable, and usually have worse groups when I use one. This goes against theory and common sense, ergo, more practice is required.

Things I like to practice but don't often enough: snap shots, 'drills', etc.

Things I should practice more: shooting prone (getting whacked in the collarbone with a .308 is not my idea of fun, and is one of the few areas in which I get princessy), shooting using oddball rests

Would really like to practice mid week but its a bit difficult.
        On average I shoot local range days at all the ranges out to 900 yds.
        Some`s good some`s RS but playing with loading and different projectiles and so on is not conducive to good scores but its good for getting a feel for range estimation in the more open bush and a bit of a feel for that Varmint reticle --top stuff there.

Hunting is more culling and other bush craft work as there`s much to know and more to learn all the time regardless of age.
        I find snap shooting and targets that WILL wobble their dam head at the last minute or simply not stand still is all well and good but after some range shooting off a bench for a while that tends to ruin ability to snap shoot a bit.
        I put it down to aiming at fixed targets for to long and that just does not happen in my neck of the woods.
        It`s more Load a shell in , Aim , Sight, Bang , in the least amount of seconds possible.
        Is why I like shooting both eyes open [ more practice... undoing bad habits from bench shooting ] and reasonably high powered scopes 10 x up as seeing it well is just so much easier to snap a shot at.
        Stability [ [ no wobbles] and kneeling takes too long / prone ??? ha ha hardy har nope ]]. I won`t ever get that back so anything handy is better than nothing and the 222 is getting more use as its so light and easy to handle . but again its about aim and shot placement.

[center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

jeezuz skip!
          not bad,..........not bad at all.

thought of coaching?

Comment

• El-Skippo
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Send-it" post=39839
            jeezuz skip!
            not bad,..........not bad at all.

thought of coaching?
            Nah no coaching :S ( but i don't mind passing on what other's have showed me ) Best advise is "Listen to the top shooter's in your club" I had some help from our top shot's over the year's. After all most of them live and breath shooting paper. If they are willing to pass on pointer's ( accept the help ) they are top shot's for a reason, so listen to there word's and take on there pointer's.

Feild rifle, a sling is a very good thing to have ( for a year or so i never bothered with them ).... Now after seeing my improvement in score's it's a valuable bit of kit to have Also help's when the rifle is zeroed at 200 yard's too :P

Yeah I practice - on fur that is. Honestly though what's to practice, guestimate range, hold steady, shoot! straightforward enough to me. :lol:
          Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guestimate ranges can be made easier too .
            I do this for stake outs.
            First find your area in Google earth and get a close up of the area you can reasonably see that fills your screen with extraneous info removed.
            MAX it up --if the area is too large make two shots [maps].
            Put some contrasting colored measures over the pic and name them as distances with way points too if you like all measured from your stake out point..
            Set your screen to get a max sized print out on A4
            Print out on photo quality paper in A4.
            Once its dried create circles with a contrasting biro color in a compass that maps the radius circles from your hide or stake out.

From your map you will now be able to see and recognize vegetation features in a birds eye view and use them as a guide for distance.
            If you really want to cheat and you shoot the same spots you can use the waypoint`s and GPS them with a picket and some ribbon tape for a wind indicator.
            Cross reference it all with your ammo and a Varmint reticle and your good to go.
            Sharpens up your guesstimating skills no end and if you cant afford a range finder well .......its a bonus :S

Works too.
            [center]
            Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              IMO every time you squeeze the trigger it counts as practice. Personally I waste hundreds of .22 rounds plinking usually at 50 and 100. I shoot prone, standing, sitting all supported and unsupported I love my little range I have built I can back to 600 yards which I use most of my CF rifles and if I put the gong in the paddock next door I can shoot out to 950y but you really need a spotter to help. The front end loader will be out in a few days to set up my clay shooting stand and I will add proper 2,3,4 and 500 prone mounds and tidy up the flat track while I'm there should take a day or so. I have to wait for the boys as the dirt bike track winds around my mounds. I find hanging balloons on baling twine is good fun and testing in the breeze. Since I only shoot for pleasure having my own range is brilliant no waiting and no club/range BS and no wankers.

• Varminator
              Varminator commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by NoFerals" post=40758
              Guestimate ranges can be made easier too .
              I do this for stake outs.
              First find your area in Google earth and get a close up of the area you can reasonably see that fills your screen with extraneous info removed.
              MAX it up --if the area is too large make two shots [maps].
              Put some contrasting colored measures over the pic and name them as distances with way points too if you like all measured from your stake out point..
              Set your screen to get a max sized print out on A4
              Print out on photo quality paper in A4.
              Once its dried create circles with a contrasting biro color in a compass that maps the radius circles from your hide or stake out.

From your map you will now be able to see and recognize vegetation features in a birds eye view and use them as a guide for distance.
              If you really want to cheat and you shoot the same spots you can use the waypoint`s and GPS them with a picket and some ribbon tape for a wind indicator.
              Cross reference it all with your ammo and a Varmint reticle and your good to go.
              Sharpens up your guesstimating skills no end and if you cant afford a range finder well .......its a bonus :S

Works too.
              I think I'll just stick to the RF! :lol: But I do use google maps etc to print out the Ariel view of the property so I can get the property owners to mark out the boundaries and any other notable features etc. Comes in hand when spotlighting etc.
          Working...
          X