Fav calibre for spotlighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fav calibre for spotlighting

Just keen to hear what everyone's fav calibre to use for spotlighting is?
    If u had just one gun to take on the ute at night, what would it be?
    I don't need to know brands. I'm not asking so I can go and buy it cos I've got a good enough spread anyway. Assume its factory loads and you're chasing anything the property owner needs gone including cats, hares, pigs or Roos..
    We were talking about this around the fire this weekend and it was interesting cos some said 22-250, others said 308 and so on and so on..
    For most of us it will be cat A and B but I imagine a few of the privileged will throw in...

a .222 is the min cal for the legal culling of roo's
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

• Hunter-338
      Hunter-338 commented
      Editing a comment
      .223 covers my spotlighting!

I would run a .223, and a 308. saving the 308 for the Porkers, if time permitted.

Cheers,

Oddball

Comment

for me its;
      rabbits = 22lr
      bigger than rabbits e.g.foxes = 22-250 / shotgun.
      pigs = 6.5x55 or 308, or shotgun (SG's)

Comment

I like low recoil calibre so you can see the bullet easily.

Comment

• several
          several commented
          Editing a comment
          22wmr, 12g and 6.5x55. That covers anything I'm likely to see including panthers and yowis.

because of the roo cal limit 223 if not for that it would be a 204R

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          there isnt one calibre to do it all - from the tray of the ute I either take a 22lr, 223 or 7mm08 (depending on the terrain and the likelihood of running into pigs / foxes)

I leave a 16inch barrelled 357 lever in the cab for the driver/ front seat passenger though (for everything)

For that lot I'd take my 22.250 using the 55gn Super Roos.
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

• Vromme
          Vromme commented
          Editing a comment
          Another one for the 22-250. Such a flat shooting cal you really dont have to worry too much about hold over and trying to judge distance. For an all in one factory Id prob go 55gn as hot as I could find.

But reloading (I dont need to buy factory) for small game I like 50gn Nosler BT. Any chest/neck/head shot seems to be a pretty instant bang flop on foxes. On med game such as pigs I like 64gn Bergers. Either pills get the job done. I have several other rifles to choose from but if it was only 1 rifle for spotlighting I find it hard to go past the 250.

If Im spotlighting by myself I tend to use my .223 as the rifle is lighter and easier when jumping out of car opening gates etc.

I find with spotlights and torch power these days you can really see game a looong way out. Its no longer the case that everything is shot under 100m. I have often ranged foxes over 400m (dont bother trying to shoot them that far out as I dont like to educate them when I miss). But will shoot over 200m.

If going to a property with a lot of rabbits I and not much else Id stick with my .17HMR, less messy for keeping them for dog meat. Nothing wrong with 22LR just once again 17hmr is flatter shooting and I find it tends to knock them down quicker. Takes care of foxes in closer and smaller pigs with headshots.

.222 used to be my fav cal for spotlighting and if I still had one I wouldnt mind taking it out but I do like the extra bit of omph the 250 has.

300wsm mate, she'll knock most things over with ease. Just make sure you've got a good backstop.

Comment

hi I like the 222 for 90%of spot lighting but the 243 and 308 have a place for pigs I used to use a 22 250 but it is hard on the ears for the driver

Comment

• Varminator
            Varminator commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by pisco" post=38369
            hi I like the 222 for 90%of spot lighting but the 243 and 308 have a place for pigs I used to use a 22 250 but it is hard on the ears for the driver
            Haven't heard of Ear Muffs mate? or at least get him to jam his fingers in his ears before ya take the shot,, just good common sense. :lol: well at least that's how we roll when it comes to shooting, better to protect what ya got than to wish ya had when its gone I reckon.

P.S. I like the little Deuce too - great little cal that isn't too hard at all on the ears but still a good idea to use muffs when shooting em. Electronic ones are the go when your in a cab communicating with each other.

223 for me, and the 308 not far away in the toolbox
          It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

Comment

Depends what I am going for, but usually its either 17hmr , 204 or 22-250

Comment

Im mostly on the light but 22 for bunnies and a 22-250 for foxes.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                i would say the 223,shoots most things dead and not too loud but if i could only have one gun for everything i would go the 243. i don't have one but sometimes i think the 308 is just a tad too much gun for foxes, naa just kidding,,you can never have to much gun :lol:

the old 22lr for me only because of noise restrictions where I shoot . would rather the 308 or 243 even the 204

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                .17hmr on the front seat & .22-250 in the back, covers pretty much anything we are allowed to shoot at night in nsw.

I see we have a lot of 22.250 fans when it comes to spotlight work, a very versatile cal really, got good legs, hits hard and with the right projie is capable of taking some fairly solid ferals. And there's nothing better than hearing that Whoomp sound as it hits or the red mist action when ya hit something in the right spot.
              Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Working...
              X