Lion hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lion hunting

Sambar kicked it off but I was hoping for some ongoing discussion that was a bit easier to find! I have some opinions on this topic, looking forward to some discussion on this one...

I would be shit scared coming across one of those big boys. I would be very reliant on the guides.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• 17fireball
      17fireball commented
      Editing a comment
      I know why she is behind it, so you can't see the stains spreading down her legs.
      I have no interest in safari hunting but I understand why it is done.
      Before all the hate posts start be aware this will be monitored closely.

Nice Cougar... oh an nice looking King Lion.

cheers
    WL

Comment

Hmm. Reckon I might open a stall at the next gun-show with a great big stuffed lion in a sandpit and a bluescreen with an african panorama behind it.
      Ten bucks a photo.

Comment

Somebody put up a link the other day for an article about this very subject. Very interesting read, goes into how the country's that have banned hunting are doing worse off in the conservation stakes and the tourist dollar stakes too. I showed it to my sister who is constantly getting stuck into me for hunting and had shared the above photo on Facebook, after that she was at least thinking about the whole situation again.
        Me personally, I don't think I would ever do it. Not because I will never have the money either. I don't think that should stop other people though. I think it is exactly like sambar country said before. Canned hunt. Sums it all up really.
        My hunting is more about ridding pests and gaining meat. Don't get me wrong I love a good trophy but our trophy animals here are mainly introduced anyway.
        It's a very tough situation. But do believe that media over reacted to this photo. BUT it should never have been put on Facebook either. Never gonna help anyone these days

Comment

The good thing is that the breeding of these lions and other game on private farms in South Africa and other states is protecting the species. Cashed up people pay for the trophy and the money goes towards further breeding and release into the wild. I have no issues with it. The practice benefits everyone, locally and international.

Comment

Not sure I'd be able to pull the trigger on that beautiful beast.....
            I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

• Send-it
              Send-it commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Super6one" post=34837
              Not sure I'd be able to pull the trigger one that beautiful beast.....

I know what you mean.
              would make an awesome pet.
              and yes,.........before anyone says it,...........the lion!

• M77
              M77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Super6one" post=34837
              Not sure I'd be able to pull the trigger on that beautiful beast.....
              I feel the same way , specially when there's not many of them left .
              Safari hunting not my style but Each to there own though . People feel the same about fox hunting

yes it is monitored very closely and the only lions that are allowed to be shot are to old males who have been kicked out by the younger male lions and are no longer able to join a new pride

Comment

Comment

Once upon a time in another life I would have given my ....well I dreamed about safari hunting and shoot anything that moves what kids don`t ?.
                Today unless its feral and doing some damage to our country side I would not have that enthusiasm.
                I think one would need to live in that country for along time to actually appreciate or have a view on "Lion " or any of those animals even then it is some times "work" if you do too much of the same thing.

At home in Aussie Feral cats are the exception , cunning as Dunny rats and can climb -- followed by foxes and perhaps dogs but that`s a bit iffy to unless you see the damage then it would be easy enough [hard for a dog lover though] they are a challenge worthy of any hunter who enjoys and promotes our remnant of an environment many of us were lucky to see as kids.
                Caged hunting as I understand it is not hunting in my book of definitions any way but -- what ever floats your boat i suppose , not my problem.
                [center]
                Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

So the "old male kicked out of the pride" type hunt is limited to wild lion hunting. Tanzania for example has a policy that only males 7 years and over can be hunted.

In South Africa, pretty much all hunting of lion is of captive bred animals in a fenced area which can vary considerably in size. There are definitely "put and take" hunts available, fly in and fly out on a chartered plane . Take a short walk and all done. It happens. It's not hunting. However there is no outcry for the same type of hunting of blesbok or sable or buffalo. They're lions, not some demigod.

If well cared for without human contact, then a captive bred lion released onto a 2,000 acre block, left to live on that property and then hunted on foot will make for a challenging and rewarding hunt. Is it the same as a wild lion hunt? Well no, not at all. When hunting wild lion you're generally baiting the animals. You don't know what will come in, male, female, mature or juvenile. Or nothing. Captive bred lion hunting gives the client a guarantee of the "right type" of animal being available.

Comment

Whether it is captive bred or wild....I would still be shitting myself.

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=34867
                      Whether it is captive bred or wild....I would still be shitting myself.
                      I've encountered wild lion on foot while tracking buffalo in Gwayi and leopard in the riverine scrub when stalking bushbuck. Definitely a "shitting yourself" experience - a wonderful dose of fear!

It doesn't interest me at all because I grew up thinking of lions as being almost mythical creatures best enjoyed as part of a nature documentary with a posh sounding pommy bloke telling me about their biology and habits, or mabye to be viewed through the binos at a game park. As such the idea of putting crosshairs on one and squeezing the trigger just doesn't do it for me me. However, lots of people think that me hunting ferals in Australia is abhorrent so I wouldn't judge somebody else for hunting a lion, so long as it isn't going to shrink an endangered population. If hunters don't stick together we all lose in the long run.
                    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Had a look at quite a few lion hunting videos, male and female. They are very powerful and freaking scary animals. Glad I don't have to deal with them in the bush around my place...otherwise I'd just sell the .30-06 and get a tank. Amazing animals, a real killing machine. Freaking crazy how some people bow hunt them.

Comment

Originally posted by DaggaBoy" post=34820

wow that's a big pussy beauty and the beast . I have seen her on YouTube before she loves her hunting and she's a sweety too .good on her I would love to go hunting lions with her anytime maybe with out the cameras thou
                        Africa would be one awesome hunting adventure

Comment

Working...
                        X