Moon phases and spotlighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moon phases and spotlighting

Just keen to hear people opinions on the moon phase and the effect on spotlighting..
    Expecting a few smart ass answers.. That's a given, but hopefully we can hear people's experiences.. We're heading off this weekend and its gonna be about 2-3 before the new m

......before the full moon..
    What are your thoughts/experiences?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Need an editing function..

2-3 nights before the full moon..

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************************

Browning, I found this for you, it may be relevant.

Thanks...

[i]Hunting By The Moon Phase (by Mike Anderson)

Every season, millions of hunters take to the woods with renewed enthusiasm and vigor. Unfortunately, many come away empty handed, returning day after day to face similar results. It's every hunter's biggest dilemma, but some have found the perfect solution, and that is hunting by moon phase.

Fishermen have long been aware of the powerful influence of the moon on the tides and chart the various phases of the moon in order to determine the best time to fish. Similarly, animals are in tune with their surroundings and certain shifts in natural forces trigger corresponding responses in the wild.

For years, researchers have studied the reaction of wildlife to changes in the position of the sun and moon and have come up with some rather interesting observations in relation to hunting by moon phase.

So, how does this work? How can paying attention to the phases of the moon help ensure a hunter's success?

Animals and the Moon

Animals in the wild tend to be less active during daylight hours. Feeling safer under the cover of darkness, many animals will increase their activity as dusk falls.

However, many observers have noted that activity amongst all animals is greater when the moon is full and that this one form of hunting by moon phase -- hunting during periods of full moon -- can yield excellent results.

In other words, if you're aware of the phases of the moon, you're in a better position to anticipate the peak of animal activity. The more active they are, the better your chances will be of finding them.

Moon Phase Deer Hunting

Much of the research that has been done on this subject has involved hunting deer, and many hunters swear that hunting by moon phase is the only way to accurately predict deer activity.

But the moon doesn't only have an impact on deer activity. The various phases of the moon also seem to have a direct effect on deer mating patterns, which in turn make them easier to locate. It's because of this that moon phase deer hunting -- as it's becoming commonly known -- is quickly gaining acceptance.

Being aware of when the breeding season begins helps to determine travel patterns and areas of increased deer activity. When the breeding season is at its peak, finding deer is easier and finding more than one in a particular area more likely.

So what does this have to do with the moon? A female deer's reproductive cycle is influenced by the different phases of the moon, and peaks in the three or four days surrounding the second full moon after the autumnal equinox. When the does are in heat, the bucks begin rubbing and scraping in an attempt to attract them. If you know when the full moon occurs, you can be at the right spot, at the right time, and have the best chance for success, luring the bucks into your site.

By being aware of the different moon phases, deer hunting can be far more successful. But not only that, it can also help you figure out when not to hunt. You aren't going to be successful after the deer have mated and even the phase when the bucks are chasing the does can be pretty fruitless.

By becoming familiar with these patterns and planning ahead, hunting by moon phase will almost certainly lead to your best hunting season ever.

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************************

Comment

I found on one of my phone apps a fishing and hunting moon phase but I cant find which one it was now....will try to find it but seems pretty obvious that it will work. ( now someone has said it)

Comment

just found this...might help the Vics

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fishing-and-hunting/game-hunting/game-hunting-regulation/publications/game-hunting-application-for-smartphones

Comment

every living organism on earth relays on the moon phases one way or another including us

i find a new moon seems to be best for hunting an a full moon with a fully clear sky is the worst especially with foxes

Comment

I agree that trying to shoot foxes with clear skies and a full moon is a waste of time. Always seem to do better with half a moon or less.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I can't say I've ever worried about moon phase when hunting/spotlighting - I just go and see what want's to be shot! To be honest I've never given it any thought what so ever, might have to start taking notes when I'm out and see if any patterns start forming?
              Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

in general i've found;
                mature animals can be very shy & fidgety on a bright night.
                younger adolecent animals are more comfortable being out in the moonlight.
                probably due to the younger animals being naive.

Comment

• Vromme
                  Vromme commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting topic, something I have thought about quite a bit.

Re Night time / spotlighting
                  I have noticed that game doesnt tend to sit as much under a full moon spotlighting. But that could just be me with confirmation bias IE only notice when they are not sitting then blame it on moon and dont really think that much about game that does sit. I do go out on a fullish moon but prefer less to no moon. I think there is as much game out under a full moon (if not more). Actually the other week I was out on a bright moon and foxes, pigs and bugs bunny sat pretty much like normal (property doesnt get shot on often).

Re Day time
                  Fishing (outside ocean reef fishing that is) during the day (dusk/dawn) on a full moon cycle is notoriously difficult. There are exceptions but very difficult to get them schooling feeding off your berley. Theory is during a full moon fish tend to be more active at night (feeding etc) and less active during the day.

I dont know if the moon plays a huge difference in the game I target ie ferals. I think they are all active at night irrespective of moon phase. I think weather plays a bigger role. If I get the chance I will go out after a few days of bad weather (wind and rain). Tend to see the most out and about the day after.

As every married man or hunter knows its all related to the moon cycles.
                At certain periods you will be in the spotlight irrespective off your innocence or time of day.
                Certain critters will spook for no reason understood by man

... Well some one did say there would be silly answers to the topic ........this one is based on logic...and the real world of science and the moon cycles.
                The dog house looks warm and cosy then at these times...... move over dog and stop hugging all the blanket.
                [center]
                Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  moon phases have a major effect on fishing since it directly affects tides as well as light levels at night. fishing is generally poor for many species around the full - especially at night. also fish don't need to eat as often as mammals. Not eating for week or more has little effect on fish - so they can afford to miss feeding around the full and feed up around the new.

mammals need to eat to keep warm so moon phases have less impact on how much game you see - having said that I believe the guys that control deer numbers in the royal National Park concentrate around the new (there also seem to be more rabbits spotlighting around the new too) - I've never noticed a complete shutdown of rabbits though! (unlike fish)

CC, watch the f-bombs please (or versions of it).
                cheers mate
                Mod.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  [quote="Send-it" post=34690]CC, watch the f-bombs please (or versions of it).
                  cheers mate
                  Mod.[/quote

Sorry Champ

Some depending on the country may notice that clear moonlit nights are often colder than a bit of cloudy weather is.
                A cold freezer night produces little in the blue bush country as I understand it.
                Late evening and early morning are the better times YMMV.
                [center]
                Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

I have always found that spotlighting is better on the no moon nights . Pigs tend to turn up under the light towards the early morning but can show up anytime . I think areas that have no chasing type predators may see roos out on brighter nights .
                  Sometimes after a long spell of rain game comes out on the first clear nights , moon or not .
                  Species may have something to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X