Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoys

G'day hunters,
    I don't think we've discussed decoys and animal 'calls' much yet so here's the thread.
    Feel free to show and/or describe your decoys/calls that you prefer, and why you prefer that type.
    This applies various types e.g.. duck/turkey decoys, fox, cat & dog (predator) calls etc.
    BTW, I'm toying with the idea of a Cass Creek remote 'Waggler', so if anyone has experience with these i'd love to hear it.
    Cheers.

Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	du8ck.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	46273

Comment

My pet peeve with duck decoys is when someone/ones decide its a good thing to wade out into a swamp with a few dozen banging around in a bag at 0500hrs on an opening, thus putting up every bird within 5km.... Very annoying

Comment

Vic Game (Hunting) Regulations 2012.

2 Reg. 5 def. of spotlight subparagraph (g): S.R. No. 118/2009 and amending S.R. Nos 26/2010, 33/2010, 35/2010, 80/2010, 116/2010, 136/2010, 51/2011, 10/2012, 25/2012, 37/2012 and 71/2012. - SECT 48

Use of baits, lures and decoys when hunting game
        48. Use of baits, lures and decoys when hunting game

(1) A person must not hunt, take or destroy game using any bait, lure, decoy
        or live animal to attract game.

Penalty: 20 penalty units.

(2) A person must not cause, permit or assist in the hunting, taking or
        destroying of game using any bait, lure, decoy or live animal to attract game.

Penalty: 20 penalty units.

(3) Subregulation (1) does not apply to a person who hunts, takes or destroys
        game using a decoy made or constructed to resemble or represent a waterbird or
        any call resembling the call of game.

(4) Subregulation (2) does not apply to a person who causes, permits or
        assists in the hunting, taking or destroying of game using a decoy made or
        constructed to resemble or represent a waterbird or any call resembling the
        call of game.

Whatever state you're in....know the laws.
        I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• MrCarbine
          MrCarbine commented
          Editing a comment
          These rules only apply to "game animals". Foxes, rabbits, dogs, cats, pigs and goats are not game animals.

thanks MC,
        yeah that's what the thread's for.
        not game type animals.

Comment

• Vromme
          Vromme commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea for a thread. I believe a few here have fox pro, homemade and similar callers. I recently got a Fox Pro Shockwave. Only taken it out a couple of times, the crows went mental over it, but yet to really give it a decent go in fox country. Hopefully will get a chance before Chrissy. I will def be putting it through its paces by mid Jan (when back from family hols).

It has some pig, dog, cat calls on it so wouldnt mind trying it when Im in that type of country.

I havent heard/seen much about people using predator decoys in Aus. Looks like they are big in the US, wouldnt mind giving one a go but I already carry so much crap atm I may need to get a donkey with it!

I think it woud be beneficial if people were to share which calls they are having success with at different times of the year. I think with foxes pups in distress calls may work in spring, mating barks calls in winter mating season, rabbits/bird distress during other times. Wouldnt mind trying to get an ewe in distress/lamb in distress birthing noise during lambing. I think that call would clean up.

The thing I like about callers is you are more able to shoot during the day as it tends to get game out of hiding. Works with a whistle, the only issue I find with whistles is they often put game often too close. Good for shotties, not so great with a rifle. Most can go out at night with a spotlight and shoot quite a bit of game, it is a bit more challenging during the day, even with a caller.

The main thing I think may be an issue with using a caller/decoy is you have to walk it out, place it somewhere then go back and hide. Unlike a whistle where you just go to the spot and hide. This would prob leave a lot of your scent behind and if any animal is close by (hearing/sight dist) may put them off. It may not be an issue with a less experienced animal but could be with an older one.

Still the best type of decoy (if you can call it that) I find is food source. Going to where previous shot game has been left is often beneficial. Crops pigs enjoy eating/destroying. Even for rabbits going to new fresh crops or grasses they like and obvioulsy around their warrens.
      Working...
      X